Talk

Advanced search

Nick name question

(10 Posts)
tummytickler Mon 10-Aug-09 19:43:01

Hello again!
Further to my post on the name Shem, and an old post of mine on Ishmael, do you think Shem could work as a nn for Ishmael?
Still loving Shem - i am not sure anything could put me off now!
dh loves Ishmael aswell, and i thought they might work?
Thanks, again - you must all be bored to death of Shem now!

goomum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:09:28

Shem might work as a nickname for Seamus. Usually nickname is Shay or Shaymie. However you seem to be keen on Jewish names?

tummytickler Mon 10-Aug-09 20:19:04

Yup - really want to stick to Jewish names, bith ds have Jewish names (i used to be an RS teacher, and spent a lot of time at local progressive synagogue despite not being Jewish, just met alot of lovely people!).
Also, for reasons i cant go into on a public forum Seamus is a BIG no no.

boodleboot Mon 10-Aug-09 20:19:43

yes it would work IMO, totally.

i like Shem too altho had never heard of it til your post.

with the bonus that if he is a chubby bubba you can call him Squishy Ishy...grin

tummytickler Mon 10-Aug-09 20:20:11

ooops , both, not bith ds's have OT names

LoveBuckets Mon 10-Aug-09 20:22:06

Yeah why not? Most people wouldn't know the two were different names.

MamaLazarou Mon 10-Aug-09 20:44:00

Are you dead set against just having Shem, not short for anything?

Ishamel's a great name, by the way. On our shortlist.

tummytickler Mon 10-Aug-09 20:55:16

MamaLazarou - we both love Shem, but have decided against Shemuel, We both also love Ismael. We are having one more dc (possibly 2, if finances perk up massively!) so the chances of getting to use both are slim!
Can't use Ish or Ishy as a short form of Ishmael as we use it as our dd's nn (she is Iris).
I am mulling ideas over in my head really, and Shem is a name in its own right, all dc's have short names, so it would fit nicely, but we do love Ishmael. hmmmm!
Do you think SHem needs to be short for something?

goomum Tue 11-Aug-09 10:52:50

No you can called him just Shem. That's fine. Just give a longer more conventional middle name in case he hates it when he is older. But I think he will probably think it is cool.

MaElsie Wed 12-Aug-09 16:43:55

Shem is definately a name in itself... it's the Hebrew definition of 'name'!

Would work as shortened version of Ishmael, but you could always use one as a middle name. Shem Ishmael has a ring to it I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now