Talk

Advanced search

What do you consider 'normal'?

(30 Posts)
Kayzr Sun 09-Aug-09 12:22:52

I have 2 boys Freddie and Dylan. I know that not everyone will like them but I love them!!

I was chatting to a friend who has an Amelia and a Sophie. Lovely names but I wouldn't choose them. We were discussing TTC DC3. She is TTC now and we are planning on trying next year.

She asked if I was going to call the next one a normal name as the boys have wierd names.

I am not sure what 'normal' names are. Can someone enlighten me please? Tempted to call DC3 Tarquin or something.

differentID Sun 09-Aug-09 12:25:06

Freddie and Dylan are normal! wtf is she taking?
Have you asked her what she considers normal?

Babbity Sun 09-Aug-09 12:26:33

It sounds like she's equating "normal" with "exactly to my taste". Ignore her! I think you're babies' names are lovely and not actually dissimilar in style to Amelia and Sophie.

Tidey Sun 09-Aug-09 12:26:38

Those names are not weird at all.

Weird names are Avocado and Jumpjet, something like that.

Tommy Sun 09-Aug-09 12:27:57

"normal" is a strange choice of words! Freddie and Dylan are perfectly proper names. Her choices are nice too but, like all names, dependent on fashion etc. I don't know any Amelias of my age but loads of small ones!

Babbity Sun 09-Aug-09 12:29:01

bloody hell - apostrophe disaster - I meant, of course, "your".

[hangs head in shame, and hands back Pedants' Society membership card]

Kayzr Sun 09-Aug-09 12:30:21

She considers Ellie, Sophie, Grace, Jack, Daniel, James etc to be normal.

Apparently Freddie is too strange and out there(her words) and Dylan is very old fashioned.

Her face looked like this >shock when I said I was thinking of Lexie if we have a girl.

beanieb Sun 09-Aug-09 12:32:14

I would say that names like David, John, Peter, Rachel, Mary and Sarah are 'normal'.

Freddie and Dylan are not abnormal though, pretty common and normal names IMO.

differentID Sun 09-Aug-09 12:37:23

ah, so she only considers very popular naems to be normal?

Kayzr Sun 09-Aug-09 12:40:45

Yeah that is what it seems to be. She did say "that as far as she knows Dylan isn't in the top 50 boys names" but I don't think I have ever looked at the top 50 names.

Horton Sun 09-Aug-09 14:25:48

Freddie and Dylan sound perfectly normal to me, as do Amelia and Sophie. I would be surprised if there's much to choose between Freddie and Amelia in the popularity stakes, although of course Sophie is massively popular.

It's not like you called your boys Montague or Dreamweaver or something!

sweetkitty Sun 09-Aug-09 14:29:19

I know about 5 little Dylans under 3 and two Freddie's

Also know some Amelia's and Sophie's

All seem normal to me

Marmalade, Broccoli and Gorilla are not normal names

Ignore her

Indith Sun 09-Aug-09 14:32:18

I suppose Freddie isn't "normal" in that it is a diminutive rather than a "proper" name, not that there is anything wrong with that but I fail to see how Dylan, a nice, normal, proper name even most grannies would approve of could be considered abnormal.

Old fashioned is great (yes I know old fashioned is coming back into fashion). Ds's middle name is Gilbert and dd is a Margaret, don't get many of those around these days! I'd love Arthur for a future ds but dh won't let me.

notsoteenagemum Sun 09-Aug-09 14:35:33

According to the Telegraph list for 2008 Dylan is 15th and Freddie is 59th.

Normal nice names tell your friend to bog off.

Scaredycat3000 Sun 09-Aug-09 16:07:57

My son is 4 months old today and called..... Dylan grin . He nearly had a middle name Frederick. I insisted he had a normal name smile . My surname is unusual and it drives me mad sad

TrillianAstra Sun 09-Aug-09 16:17:31

They're not very 'normal' but neither are her names.

"She considers Ellie, Sophie, Grace, Jack, Daniel, James etc to be normal."

Of those the boys names are definitely normal in my book (along with Tom, Tim, Ben, William, etc), and Sophie is quite normal, but Ellie and Grace are not. 'Normal' girls names are Sarah and Louise and Anna and Lucy.

Then again, as far as I'm concerned a name being 'normal' is different to it being 'a name I wuold choose' and she seems to think the two are the same thing.

Firawla Sun 09-Aug-09 20:04:10

I think your names are normal, they are fairly popular at the moment too?
Maybe she just has no imagination and very boring taste in names, so only top 10 popular names are normal to her

LetThemEatCake Sun 09-Aug-09 22:13:24

PMSL at Horton -
"It's not like you called your boys Montague or Dreamweaver or something!"

Brilliant!!

your friends sounds like a right numpty. I know plenty of Freddies and Dylans, both in my age group and in my kids'.
Not so many that they're common (Jack - groan, Ella - yawn) but enough that they don't sound at all kooky.

BottySpottom Sun 09-Aug-09 23:03:59

I'm sure she is a lovely friend, but I think you should encourage her to get out a bit if she thinks your names are abnormal!

dizzydixies Sun 09-Aug-09 23:06:50

LetThemEatCake - sorry to bore you with my Ella and Dylan grin

Kayzr - Lexie is a fine name too smile

lilysam Mon 10-Aug-09 09:01:47

Dylan and Freddie are fabulous 'normal' names - i have both on my current list grin - don't know what your friend is on about. Amelia is getting very very popular and imo i think Sophie is a bit dull given all the fabulous girls names out there.

Lexie reminds me of steven gerrard & wife i think but if you love it go for it! Babies grow into whatever you name them.

As for 'abnormal' names - they suit some kids and families down to the ground -i'm just not that brave!

ilovesprouts Mon 10-Aug-09 09:05:22

oh well i must have a dull dd then wink

MamaLazarou Mon 10-Aug-09 09:21:12

Freddie and Dylan are perfectly normal names - they have both been on recent 'most popular' lists.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Mon 10-Aug-09 09:30:03

Very 'normal' names imo.

I know 1 Dylan and lots of Freddies.

Kayzr Mon 10-Aug-09 10:53:19

I knew no Freddie's until I had my Freddie. I now know about 3. I only 'know' Dizzy's Dylan and my own. Though I'm sure I'll meet another one soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now