Talk

Advanced search

Using DD1's middle name as DD2 first name?

(20 Posts)
pamelat Fri 07-Aug-09 20:33:12

I have 1 DD and we are ttc.

If we have another DD would it be "ok" to use DD1's middle name as her first?

It would be Florence.

cupofteaplease Fri 07-Aug-09 20:38:26

I wanted to do this, but chickened out. The name in our case is Violet.

I do know a couple who have done this with the name Megan, worked out ok for them smile

mummygobrumbrum Fri 07-Aug-09 21:32:11

It sound like you couldn't be bothered to think of another name. I'm sure that's not the case, you're posting here after all.

sweetkitty Fri 07-Aug-09 21:33:46

I thought about this with DD2 and DD3 but decided against it as it's like a second choice name IYSWIM, also didn't use the "spare" name we had for DD1, I wanted to come up with a new name just for DD2.

Caitni Fri 07-Aug-09 21:35:06

Er, I'd have thought it was really weird if my first name was the same as my sister's middle name...like my parents hadn't the imagination to think up a new name just for me! I have two sisters and having different first and second names was important to us as kids (separate identities when we were quite close in age and all that).

How about similar sounding names like Francesca? Or Venetia (another connection to an Italian city)?

BakewellTarts Fri 07-Aug-09 21:37:38

No...although both my DD's have flower middle names as a way of linking them.

MaggieBeauVirgo Fri 07-Aug-09 21:42:14

I wouldn't....

Mind you, I do know a woman who had two daughters with different fathers and she repeated the middle name, because she said they had different sur names so she gave them the same middle name. In that situation, when she put it to me, I was saying what a lovely idea. So I could be talked into it.....

Scorpette Sat 08-Aug-09 10:34:54

My DP's younger brother has DP's middle name as his first name and he feels aggrieved by it. Even as an adult (22), he still feels 'do I not warrant my own name then?'. He also thinks it screams 'we wanted a girl and never thought of boy's names' (is 3rd son)... sadly this is true! DP also found it annoying as a kid, like one of names had been 'stolen', but obviously grew out of that yonks ago. Some kids might be different and like the link to their big sibling. You never know.

However, I can understand your dilemma if you used both your fave girl's names for DD1! Seeing as you're only TTC at the mo, you've got loads of time to think up lots of names for a DD or DS. And if you do have a DD2, and want to use DD1's middle name, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

jellybeans Sat 08-Aug-09 11:23:22

I thought about it once as loved the name but didn't and wouldn't as if they have 2 forenames it is still their name and shouldn't be given to someone else! Just my opinion.

Raahh Sat 08-Aug-09 17:21:52

Dh has the same names as his (younger) brother, only the other way around-e.g (but not these)
David Alan
Alan David

Now that REALLY smacks of imagination.grin

Middle names are not always known to other people, though, so the majority of people would be unaware of the connection.

pamelat Sat 08-Aug-09 17:45:42

Thanks all. I think general feeling is that it would be wrong.

Basically I wanted Florence as first name for DD1 and was not allowed it sad. DH has now said that it has grown on him and I could have it next time round. Looks like I cant really. May use it as a middle name once again though smile

Raahh Sat 08-Aug-09 18:02:48

I feel for you as i used up the only 2 boys names I like on Ds- good thing I am not planning any more!! Florence is gorgeous smile

purpleduck Sat 08-Aug-09 18:19:11

no

Manchichi Sun 09-Aug-09 06:58:37

Gi for it i am going to do the same thing with DS2 if he ever happens. Look your kids are going to an "identity" that has little to do the names. Don't listen to people who say it is strange, really, Pamelat, DO IT!!!!!! You know you want to and you can always tel your DD1 that you are naming the baby for her. I went on here an asked people if they liked the name i was choosing for my son adn i was clled everything from stupid to chavvy, i wish i'd never posted. I love the name Florence!!

sparkle12mar08 Sun 09-Aug-09 07:19:14

Please don't do this, it could cause real heartache down the line. Same middle name, fine, it's a linking bridge as someone said. But please don't re-use a middle name as a first. I was in a similar-ish situation. I'd always known that my parents had had an older child who was unfortunately still born. However sometime after my mum died, and when we were both in a rather drunken state, dad told me that they had wanted to call her 'my' name. It hurt deeply, and still does to this day. Dad died not too much longer after that, so there's no-one I can even talk to. I'm left being angry at dead people. I know it's irrational, I know that, but ^it hurt^. Don't do it, please.

thumbwitch Sun 09-Aug-09 07:29:10

I wouldn't do it - it wouldn't feel like her "own" name, but a bit hand-me-down, imo.

Plus if your DD1 ever decides she doesn't like her first name and wants to use the middle one, she won't be able to cos her younger sister has it! Unreasonable thing to do to DD1, I feel.

Lovely name but find another one (or 2!) for DD2.

Manchichi Sun 09-Aug-09 08:36:28

DO IT Pamelat, you will handle it differently from these people posting on here because you are obviously sensitive to all the issues here. It is obvious you want to do it.

Bathsheba Sun 09-Aug-09 13:37:12

We have family who have done that - First DS, middle name James, 2nd DS, first name James..

I just always think it looks like they could only thing of one name...

I'd esp think that with such a statement name as Florence

Manchichi Sun 09-Aug-09 16:11:55

btw....who is going to know what dd1's middle name is anyway?

thumbwitch Sun 09-Aug-09 19:21:27

well her DD1 will for starters!hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now