Talk

Advanced search

Too "Windsor"??? or too "colourful";???

(19 Posts)
charliegsmum Fri 07-Aug-09 10:41:42

I'm in a bit of a quandary...

Please bear in mind my eldest is Charles (although we call him Charlie)... if second baby is a boy he will definitely be Henry, but will Henry William be a bit too "Royal"?

Also, have decided on Matilda if a girl, what do people think of Matilda Violet Grey? Can I get away with it or is the Violet Grey like a bad colourblind dulux paint tin?

Help!!!

lucymum2four Fri 07-Aug-09 12:02:59

No think they both sound fine
actually violet grey sounds like a moviestar...I like it x

edam Fri 07-Aug-09 12:05:46

Charles, William and Henry are all names that have been popular for centuries - the royals don't have a monopoly.

Violet is OK as middle names aren't really used. No-one knows you've got one unless you mention it (bar your health and tax records).

But personally I'd steer away from colour names with a colour surname. Might provoke some teasing if kids at school find out.

HerHonesty Fri 07-Aug-09 12:14:33

well i think as names they are fine, but you should be prehaps prepared to take a bit of flak.

matilda violet grey sounds like a lovely little girl if you ask me, not a paint colour. and tbh all names could be paint colours if you look at the latest paint charts...

MaybeAfterBreakfast Fri 07-Aug-09 12:17:44

Excellent boys' names, imo. Ds1 has a variation on your proposed name, and ds2 has Edward as a middle name. I hadn't given the royal thing a second thought until a Japanese friend said 'wow, you must really love the royal family'.

diedandgonetodevon Fri 07-Aug-09 12:21:37

I think they are both lovely names.

RedDeadFail Fri 07-Aug-09 12:23:48

Great names, all of them.

Have a Mathilda so am slightly biased on that one.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Aug-09 12:24:29

Good solid names - and Matilda was a queen too so the DD wouldn't feel inferior grin

Violet Grey sounds like a lovely soft colour to me, and none the worse for that.

MrsPuddleduck Fri 07-Aug-09 12:35:09

DS1 (5) is William Edward, DS2 (3) is Oliver Harry and DS3 (due Oct) is probably going to be Henry John. We are continuing with the theme and don't see anything wrong in royal/kings names (although strictly speaking Oliver isn't).

MrsPuddleduck Fri 07-Aug-09 12:38:15

And regarding Violet Grey - I would go for if it you like it. Our surname is Lewis so DS3 will be Henry John Lewis - John is my Dad's name and I want to use it so I don't really care what people think.

screamingabdab Fri 07-Aug-09 13:13:58

Good names

bellissima Fri 07-Aug-09 13:31:18

Have heard of Violet Grey somehow. book? band? sounds nice though. in fact prefer Violet to Matilda.

hippipotamiHasLost54lbs Fri 07-Aug-09 13:32:51

I think they are fantastic names - good, strong, solid names.
I love them. And personally I think the Violet Grey bit is fantastic.
Go for it!!

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Fri 07-Aug-09 13:34:03

My lovely granddad was Henry William. It's a good, strong name-and tbh, who ever uses their middle names anyway?

shoshe Fri 07-Aug-09 13:44:56

i know a matilda gray grin

charliegsmum Sat 08-Aug-09 09:44:12

thanks everyone - i was going off the Violet as a middle name due to the colour thing (although I've always loved it!), but you've made me consider it again...
Thanks!

dizzydixies Sat 08-Aug-09 16:13:40

all lovely names smile

LaDiDaDi Sat 08-Aug-09 17:01:43

I like them both.

MamaLazarou Mon 10-Aug-09 12:16:32

I used to baby-sit a Henry and a Charles. They were such smashing boys, I have loved the names ever since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now