Talk

Advanced search

What do you all think about making a slight spelling change to a young child's name?

(31 Posts)
myredcardigan Thu 06-Aug-09 14:24:42

DD2 is Catherine. She is almost always Kitty. I now wish I had spelt her name Katherine as I think it would make things simpler for her and, actually, I think I now prefer the 'K' spelling. She is 1yr old. She obviously knows her name is Kitty and she also answers to Catherine but that wouldn't change. What do you all think? Am I mad? DH thinks so though he also prefers the 'K' spelling.

Looking for rational insight, thanks.

myredcardigan Thu 06-Aug-09 14:27:01

I should say, she is not quite 1yr. She will be one the first week of Sept so I have about 3wks to do it the easy way.

Lizzylou Thu 06-Aug-09 14:28:01

I would do it if you feel strongly about it, otherwise you will always regret not changing it.
Is it easy to do?

Greensleeves Thu 06-Aug-09 14:28:03

I'd do it! Where's the harm - she's too young to know how it's spelt anyway. If you prefer it, change it.

I prefer Catherine, though grin

MrsTittleMouse Thu 06-Aug-09 14:28:50

Do it!

myredcardigan Thu 06-Aug-09 14:32:26

Thanks all. I thought I prefered Catherine too but Ketherine has grown on me and I think the fact we call her Kitty just seals it.

Lizzy, you can change it easily until they're 1yr then it gets tricky and ammendments have to be put on the original birth certificate. Before 1yr they will amend the original.

I know it's not a big deal but I worry it will niggle at me.

myredcardigan Thu 06-Aug-09 14:32:58

Katherine.

Winetimeisfinetime Thu 06-Aug-09 14:36:41

I would definitely do it - you prefer the 'K' version and it will make things a bit more convenient for her if she continues to be known as Kitty to have her first initial as a 'K'.

pasturesnew Thu 06-Aug-09 14:38:12

No harm in it, why not! Love every variation of Catherine actually.

myredcardigan Thu 06-Aug-09 14:42:22

Awe thanks guys! I was expecting everyone to tell me I am mad to change an almost 1yr old's name. I shall show this to DH and try and book an appointment.
Telling my MIL will be a whole other matter.

My only slight niggle is a) her baby record book and b) he Imprints thingy on the wall says Catherine. Oh well!

edam Thu 06-Aug-09 14:46:16

Agree with everyone else, changing it makes sense.

Never mind re. baby record book and footprints, she'll probably be entertained by the story when she's older. smile All my childhood stuff is labelled with a nickname that was used so consistently I had no idea that my real name was something quite different until someone mentioned it when I was seven... now that was a real shock.

But as long as she knows her official name is Catherine she'll be fine.

edam Thu 06-Aug-09 14:46:37

Sorry, Katherine!

weegiemum Thu 06-Aug-09 14:48:55

I would of course recommend Katherine every time, being the mum of one!

She has some stuff that says Catherine/Kathryn etc as people got it wrong! But she knows her name - though has recently asked to be known as Kathy.

weegiemum Thu 06-Aug-09 14:49:29

She's 9, btw!

myredcardigan Thu 06-Aug-09 14:51:57

Thanks edam, you're right. You're all right! I think I'll just go for it. If I was doing the reg now, I'd definitely use Katherine so it's not as if I'm struggling to choose between the two names just between changing and the status quo.

allaboutme Thu 06-Aug-09 14:54:56

Go for it. Sounds like the right thing to do all round

Ladyem Thu 06-Aug-09 15:02:15

I've also had this dilemma! DD is Catherine and I always call her Katie. She will answer to both names, but I always regretted not putting my foot down and spelling it Katherine, as I love Kate as a nn when she's a bit older. But now she's 2 I don't mind so much and She can still be Kate/Katie/Kitty (LOVE this abbreviation, was my Grandma's name!!) or even Cat, if I leave it as it is!

You have to do what is right for you and like you say, it's not like you are changing her whole name, just the spelling! If it really bothers you that much I'd say just do it! grin You'll be happier in the long run!

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 06-Aug-09 15:05:35

Message withdrawn

muddleduck Thu 06-Aug-09 15:08:16

Go for it.
Get some "change of name" cards made up and send them to everyone you can think of.

My cousin's parents changed her name a few times and it drove us nuts as we never knew what we were supposed to call her grin

CillySunt Thu 06-Aug-09 15:11:34

Yes, do it!

pixiestix Thu 06-Aug-09 16:56:25

Do it while it is still easy or it will drive you mad later on! smile

Hassled Thu 06-Aug-09 17:03:29

I think you should do it. I've known 2 Catherines called Katie, and it's always seemed a bit odd to me.

RustyBear Thu 06-Aug-09 17:09:51

Do make sure you get round to changing it in the next 3 weeks - DH & I gave DS three names + surname and fairly quickly decided we didn't like the second name, but we never managed to get round to changing it within the year. DS doesn't like that name either & only uses his first & third names together with his surname - but most official documents seem to use the first 2 initials - so he's MJ Bear instead of MS Bear, which is what he's normally known as.

PrincessToadstool Thu 06-Aug-09 17:12:45

For the sake of one letter I wouldn't.

I have a friend called Catherine and we call her Katie. I have never thought of it as odd.

Love Kitty though.

jellybeans Thu 06-Aug-09 18:19:15

I would leave it too. It's the same name whether with a C or K. I considered changing spelling for one of my DC but never did as had all the christening stuff and baby memorabilia with the registered spelling on so stuck with it. At some point we preferred it and we are glad we stuck with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now