Talk

Advanced search

Yet another boys name from me!

(11 Posts)
tummytickler Wed 05-Aug-09 21:43:50

Loving Shem still.
But throwing Mortimer and Mordecai into the pot!
What do you think?
I dont like cai as a nn, and think that would become a nn for Mordecai no matter how i felt about it!

Opinions welcome (encouraged in fact!) grin

sleepsforwimps Thu 06-Aug-09 08:52:29

Shem - sounds made up or a nn
Mortimer - Makes me think mouse or Bob, not atall keen on this, if you're going to use a surname there's much nicer sounding ones.
Mordecai - Never heard of it, sounds like you're trying too hard to find something different. Why would you choose a name with an obvious nn that you don't like?

Sorry not very positive, but honest.

LaDiDaDi Thu 06-Aug-09 08:54:31

Don't like Shem.
Do like Mortimer, Morty or Mort are nice nns.
Mordecai is pretty awful imo.

goomum Thu 06-Aug-09 09:13:35

All three have negative connotations in the sound for me....

Shem = shame
Mordecai = best of three but sounds like an evil soccerer.
Mortimer = Mortal/ morbid

Sounds like you like old Hebrew names?

screamingabdab Thu 06-Aug-09 09:39:20

I am sorry, but I don't like any of them, especially Mortimer (sounds like a mouse character from a picture book)

However, what about Malachy? It's sort of similar to Mordecai, but less Old testament. I think it's Irish, and pronounced
MAL-A-KEY

pasturesnew Thu 06-Aug-09 09:44:07

Is Mordecai quite a political Zionist choice? He is an interesting character in George Eliot's ^Daniel Deronda^

notsoteenagemum Thu 06-Aug-09 09:54:18

Shem, Sorry don't like it at all.
Mordecai, I can get past the fact when dd is stroppy dh calls her Mordecai the Modwen
(don't ask why because I don't know)
Mortimer, for me is the best of the bunch but it does make me want to say Mort in an american accent.
A plus side to all of them is that I have never heard of any child called any of them and I have known lots of children in my work.
Sorry to be negative, go with what you love.

TwoHot Thu 06-Aug-09 17:33:38

Malachy is quite nice

bronze Thu 06-Aug-09 17:36:01

Malachi is biblical

pedalmonster Thu 06-Aug-09 17:56:09

you should try the "board room" test. when your child grows up and is busy and important, will people take him seriously with a name like Shem?
I'm sorry tummy but I can't see Mordecai as CEO or director either. And Mortimer sounds like a Mortitian (if thats how it is spelled?)
I'm so sorry...blush

audley Fri 07-Aug-09 19:45:16

A friend suggested Mordecai to us when expecting DS, he insisted pronounciation was 4 syllables, mor -duh -kay -eye, rather than mor-duh-kye, but then nn's Mord and Kay sound rather feminine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now