Talk

Advanced search

Ramona?

(23 Posts)
LoveFalafel Tue 04-Aug-09 13:34:31

What are your thoughts on Ramona for a girl?

I think that it is of Spanish or German origin - would it be strange to use it as neither myself nor DH have Spanish or German links?

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Tue 04-Aug-09 13:35:34

YES! Love it -p do you know of Ramona Quimby?

HollyBunda Tue 04-Aug-09 13:35:56

A friend of mine just named her baby Ramona. I think it's really sweet.

SpawnChorus Tue 04-Aug-09 13:38:52

Adore Ramona! It would have been top of my list for a girl if it wasn't for the fact that DD has an R name, and DS's shortened name also begins with R. People might have thought I was deliberately going for and R-themed family.

Mammina Tue 04-Aug-09 13:41:17

It's nice. I also like (and prefer if I'm honest) Romina - I had a Maltese friend called this so assume it's from Malta?

LoveFalafel Tue 04-Aug-09 13:43:41

No I hadn't heard of Ramona Quimby - just googled her though.

How popular are the novels? If I named a baby girl Ramona would there be an obvious association?

Made me think of Ramona Quimby as well. But I don't think the books are that popular now. I read them when I was young and she is a fab character anyway. Though one of the books is called Ramona The Pest!

I love the name.

mollyroger Tue 04-Aug-09 13:53:53

The Pest is what springs straight to my mind.... sorry.

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Tue 04-Aug-09 13:55:51

Does it matter if there's the association - don't think children read the books these days - and probably wont by the time little one gets to school.

Go for it

JemL Tue 04-Aug-09 14:03:44

LOVE it! But then, I loved the Ramona books, and we used to call my sister Ramona because she looked like the girl who played her in the tv series.

I don't think the books are that popular nowadays, not enough for it to be obvious.

paisleyleaf Tue 04-Aug-09 14:09:19

We have a Ramona in our family
I love it

ramonaquimby Tue 04-Aug-09 14:18:58

what a fabulous choice grin

the books are still very popular in the states and canada. not here tho

love the name, wish I had used it for one of my 3!

mrswoolf Tue 04-Aug-09 14:54:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsgrimwig Tue 04-Aug-09 15:37:41

Think it's a great choice. There's an early Bob Dylan song called "To Ramona" which is worth a listen.

I too have read the "Ramona" books but associate the name more with the song now.

KleineMaus Wed 05-Aug-09 11:20:17

I like it (also loved the books, but really don't think anyone in this country reads them any more so not an issue). The little girl who plays Karen in 'outnumbered' is called Ramona.

Ladyem Wed 05-Aug-09 12:52:10

Loved the books, not so keen on the name, though. Sorry.

BunnyLebowski Wed 05-Aug-09 16:18:32

Maggie Gyllenhall has a Ramona....I really didn't like it at first but it's grown on me.

It's cute and quirky and makes me think of a little girl with bags of personality!

On a different subject Kleine - I adore that wee girl in Outnumbered - she's beyond cute!!

pixiestix Thu 06-Aug-09 17:04:55

Gorgeous!
I immediately thought of Maggie G's Ramona but she is gorgeous too so not a bad association!

pedalmonster Thu 06-Aug-09 17:58:29

Its gorgous - very romantic, more unusual yet just as beautiful as Rose, I think.
I also like Naomi - think that sounds beautiful too. Naomi was top of my list for a girl but we are having a boy!

HolyGuacamole Thu 06-Aug-09 18:00:04

Love the name! It's my best friends name, she lives in Italy and her mother is Spanish. Love it!

FestivalScrooge Fri 07-Aug-09 15:24:58

V important Ramona information (sorry if someone's already mentioned it, haven't read whole thread!):

I love the name Ramona- not least because I adore the books- and was keen to name our forthcoming child that, if it is a girl.

Then I found out the bloody bastards are releasing a film of the books next year: www.imdb.com/title/tt0493949/

So it will be everywhere! And everyone would think she was named after film.

susie100 Fri 07-Aug-09 15:32:09

Lovely name. I know a three year old Ramona and she is really sassy, sweet and pretty as well.

BigGobMum Fri 07-Aug-09 15:50:12

Ramona - The Bachelors - just listened to it on you tube!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now