We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mavis

(53 Posts)
hiddenmummy Tue 04-Aug-09 01:49:13

This is the name we have for our daughter who is due next week.
We haven't told any friends or family yet. I was very confident of our choice but now am having last minute nerves about it.
What do you think? Nobody remembers the Coronation Street Mavis, do they?
Honest opinions please. I don't think I will change my mind, but want to be prepared for reactions whatever they may be.
Dc1 is Annabel and nearly everybody has always liked this, so will want dd to have the same nice experience if possible.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Tue 04-Aug-09 01:54:25

Old ladies name IMO. Sorry.

Annabel is really pretty, but Mavis feels like the ugly sister name.
I guess it may come back and be really popular...hmm

jabberwocky Tue 04-Aug-09 03:21:59

I really hate to be negative but I agree with solo on this one. Maeve is a favorite of mine.

lulalullabye Tue 04-Aug-09 03:28:36

I would like to say I don't like it but I for some strange reason have a warm feeling and like it smile

nappyaddict Tue 04-Aug-09 03:31:44

I love Mavis!!

I also like Maude, Mabel, Claribel, , Anne, Anna, Cecily, Pearl, April, May, June, Sapphire, Amethyst, Autumn, Coral, Coralie, Cora, Thora, Beryl, Ebony, Eden, Garnet, Jewel, Opal, Winter, Blossom, Dorothea, Dorothy, Tulip, Daphne, Delphine, Delphina, Delphi, Delpha, Ivy, Marigold, Primrose, Keziah, Pansy, Viola, Violetta, Yasmin, Zinnia, Zelda, Venetia, Liliana, Lilian, Robin, Rowan, Posie, Dahlia, Laurel, Davinia, Petunia, Hyacinth, Jacinda, Theadora, Romilly, Priscilla, Claribel, Anabella, Gabrielle, Elle, Margaret, Madge, Maggie

nappyaddict Tue 04-Aug-09 03:32:04

oh and Mildred grin

mrswoolf Tue 04-Aug-09 04:10:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

welovepinkmilk Tue 04-Aug-09 07:34:46

I don't usually say this but - please no.

CarmenSanDiego Tue 04-Aug-09 07:39:56

My first connection was with Willo The Wisp but no kids are going to know about that. It's a very cute name! I like it.

hana Tue 04-Aug-09 08:21:55

was going to suggest mabel - but doesn't really go with annabel.

what about maud? lovely name

SpawnChorus Tue 04-Aug-09 08:23:30

I love Mavis (and Maeve and Maud). It's a really lovely name.

MamaLazarou Tue 04-Aug-09 08:25:22

I do think of Mavis from Corrie - so sorry.

People will soon get over that, though, especially as your daughter is likely to be the only Mavis they know.

boodleboot Tue 04-Aug-09 10:17:32

for some reason i instantly think of Hovis....sorry blush

annabel seems so much prettier and i think Mabel does go very sweetly with annabel....

Thunderduck Tue 04-Aug-09 12:08:16

I think it's awful.Very dour.

Love Annabel though.

nigglewiggle Tue 04-Aug-09 12:12:28

Maeve is much nicer.

jellybeans Tue 04-Aug-09 12:57:01

Old ladies name and awful, and corrie.. sorry. Annabel is much nicer. There are much nicer 'old lady' names such as Esther, Mabel, Martha, Ellen, Elsie, Evelyn etc.

mrswoolf Tue 04-Aug-09 14:48:52

jellybeans Tue 04-Aug-09 19:09:10

Well I know some twins Jake and Luke, only 2 letters difference!

mrswoolf Tue 04-Aug-09 19:14:56

hiddenmummy Tue 04-Aug-09 19:21:36

No Mavis will be the name. Mabel is too similar and I don't like it as much.

Any more?

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Aug-09 19:22:45

i love it. was my choice of name for a girl the last 2 times

drzoolander Tue 04-Aug-09 19:29:14

Mavis does make me think of the Corrie character but I reckon it will be making a comback. Have been surprised to see it a few times on Cbeebies birthdays.

RedLentil Tue 04-Aug-09 19:29:55

We have a Maebh, and I can see people might behmm at first about Mavis, the loveliness will win through.

We don't really do shortenings in our family, but we do call DD1 Maud and Mayflower as affectionate names ...

CherylCole Tue 04-Aug-09 19:39:36

I really really wouldn't even if she's smarter and prettier she'll be in Annabel's shadow forever, it's not fair.

liliputlady Tue 04-Aug-09 20:00:58

I think you're very brave if you go ahead with this choice. My eldest d is at that really tricky teenage stage where she gets embarassed so easily, I would hate her to be saddled with a name that she could get loads of stick for.

I can see why you like Mavis and she might get away with it, but people may just tell her she's got a granny name. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now