Talk

Advanced search

Ella May

(24 Posts)
Thandeka Sat 01-Aug-09 12:24:41

Double barrell name or first and middle?

Our surname sounds better if its double barrelled but then I worry if you drawl it it could sound like the Alamo! Or sounds a bit sourthern states of america beauty pageantish!

SlartyBartFast Sat 01-Aug-09 12:25:54

agree with the beauty pagent frankly,

dizzydixies Sat 01-Aug-09 13:04:08

first and second, not double barrelled - as a double barralled sufferer named person I implore you - please don't grin

mrswoolf Sat 01-Aug-09 13:39:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrswoolf Sat 01-Aug-09 13:40:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wonderingone Sat 01-Aug-09 13:43:00

I agree with the "southern" reference, couldn't say it without a drawl.

MamaLazarou Sat 01-Aug-09 16:18:33

To be brutally honest, I think it is a very dull, boring name.

skihorse Sat 01-Aug-09 18:09:12

She will end up being a black human rights activist from Alabama, but she'll have a loving family and sit on her porch at night listening to crickets and telling bible stories to her grandchildren.

boodleboot Sat 01-Aug-09 18:12:44

my daughter is called Ellie Mae and the only negative reaction the name has ever had is on MN.....Ella May is lovely also....I call her Ellie Mae but never put a hyphen in....don'r really like hyphens....

plonker Sat 01-Aug-09 18:31:09

Ella May is lovely.

Wouldn't go for the hyphen.

Thandeka Sat 01-Aug-09 18:34:16

yeah i wouldnt hyphen it but have it as a double name I think.

Mainly because Ella Oursurname (one syllable) needs another name in middle to make it sound ok.

P.S Skihorse am actually hoping for a one armed black lesbian freedom fighter

MamaLazarou Sun 02-Aug-09 10:51:26

boodleboot, that is because we are faceless internet people and therefore don't mind being rude!

CrushWithEyeliner Sun 02-Aug-09 13:49:20

People will rarely tell you they don't like the name you have chosen to your face - that is what this topic is for lol

piscesmoon Sun 02-Aug-09 13:54:26

I never tell people in RL-that is why I like these threads! I don't like it-or at least it is OK if you just keep the May as a standard 2nd name and not for everyday use.

SlartyBartFast Sun 02-Aug-09 14:13:37

dd's middle name was put on her class drawer when she was in year 5, in error! she was most upset by it and i was worried the same thing would happen when she went to secondary.

boodleboot Sun 02-Aug-09 22:45:26

wow...mamalazarou....i almost hear pride in that bogus statement you made??....some of us don't log off morals when log on computer but hey....takes all sorts to make interesting reading i guess....hmm

maggievirgo Sun 02-Aug-09 22:54:36

no. tooo billy-rae ish.

What about Estella or Gabriella or Annabella with Ella for short?

jabberwocky Sun 02-Aug-09 23:07:07

I'm old enough to remember the Beverly Hillbillies and Ellie May was a character - so forever typecast for me.

MamaLazarou Mon 03-Aug-09 10:10:13

My statement was not bogus at all - it was entirely sincere (unless you meant 'bogus' in the Bill & Ted sense). I genuinely believe that people are more honest about these things online, but of course you are perfectly entitled to disagree with me!

simplesusan Mon 03-Aug-09 16:32:45

I prefer it without the hyphen. You can still call her Ella May though but if you do hyphen it she will have less of a choice when she grows up ie she can then choose Ella May or just Ella.

ipiratethief Mon 03-Aug-09 16:37:49

can i just say, there are many many Ella's at my dd's school.

Gabriella is cooler.

slyandgobbo Mon 03-Aug-09 16:39:31

Lots of Ellas locally. Estella and Gabriella very nice though.

hulabula Mon 03-Aug-09 17:58:20

Ella and Ellie is a little overdone/common in my opinion. You just hear these names sooo often round here....

Agree that Isabella, Estalla or Gabriella are more beautiful, elegant names with lots of scope for shortenings (including Ella).

hel9a Mon 10-Aug-09 15:18:35

Ella May was Ella Fitzgerald's name, I think.

I think it's a realy lovely. And really nice if you're named after such a wonderful woman who had such a heavenly voice but I supppose it depends whether you're an Ella Fitzgerald fan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now