Fancy some Spanish names? :)

(16 Posts)
aurynne Sat 01-Aug-09 11:05:48

Hi all,

I thought I could contribute with some names from my homeland:

For a girl:
Carmen - one of the most traditional Spanish names
Esperanza - it means "hope"
Dolores - this is where the name "Lola" comes from. Very few non-Spanish speakers know that "dolores" means "pains"!
Cruz - yes, this is a Spanish name for a GIRL... it means "cross" (as in "the Holy Cross")... please somebody tell David Beckam he's named his boy after a girl's name!!!
Ines: one of my favorite names
Isabel: the name of a good friend of mine
Maria: oh, that West Side Story classic...

For a boy:
Manuel: a very Spanish name, men with this name are usually called "Manolo".
Jose: also a very typical name, "Jose"'s in Spain are also called "Pepe"
Fernando: made famous by the song by Abba... but this name has existed for centuries, and was the name of one of the most famous Spanish kings.
Jesus: I know, I know, in English-speaking countries this may sound like a blasphemy... but in Spain, Jesus is a very common name!
Enrique: the Spanish version of "Harry"
Pelayo: a name typical from the Asturias region, where I come from.

And sometimes for boys, you just have to add an "o" at the end of an English name, as in:

Eduardo
Roberto
Ronaldo...

Hugs to all!

dizzydixies Sat 01-Aug-09 13:05:01

I thought Dolores was Lady of sorrow?

sockmonster Sat 01-Aug-09 17:02:24

dizzy Dolores is originally 'Maria de los Dolores' which is where your definition comes from. In everyday Spanish, un dolor is a pain (headache, stomachache, general malaise, pain in the backside etc etc), so dolores does mean pains.

Anyway I love the names.. Javier and Lucía

dizzydixies Sat 01-Aug-09 18:05:44

god, bit of everything slung in there, not the cheeriest of names !!!

madremia09 Mon 03-Aug-09 19:48:01

hello aurynne i am interested in this because i live in Spain.I am english....I have a 3 year old daughter who was born here and her name is Luisa 1st name Maria 2nd. Is this an odd arrangement as i normally see these names the other way round as maria luisa!!! I named her Luisa as my aunt is spanish but she lives in the uk......

Is Luisa fairly old fashioned as i havent yet come across a young Luisa!!!

thank yousmile

madremia09 Mon 03-Aug-09 19:49:17

sorry i meant to say i named her luisa as my aunt is Spanish AND CALLED LUISA!! smile

browntrout Mon 03-Aug-09 19:50:50

and I am interested as my baby (due Nov) was conceived in Spain - in case I fancy doing a Brooklyn Beckham kind of thing!

maggievirgo Mon 03-Aug-09 20:02:11

Amápola is nice. SPanish for poppy. Could be Amy for short (although I prefer Amápola). Or Pola. I also like Paula and Laura (powla, lowra).

Sílvia, Lídia, Rocío, Maribel, Julia, Sofia, Celia, Amalia..

Mind you, popular names in Spanish right now are all very NOT frilly, unlike in the UK where Amelia and Olivia and so on are contemporary. Nuria, Lea, Ines, all sond very no-nonsense by comparison. The names I like probably sound a bit dated in Spain now.

cthea Mon 03-Aug-09 20:07:01

Friends just gave their son Ruperto as middle name.

HeadFairy Mon 03-Aug-09 21:22:40

I've always like Luis for a boy... and Felipe but over here he'd just end up being Phil!

I'm still wavering over Carlotta if dc2 turns out to be a girl (I can slightly claim Spanish inheritance, my mother is Argentine)

aurynne Tue 04-Aug-09 06:36:58

madremia09, Luisa María is a very nice name, and Luisa is one of these names that never get old

maggievirgo, "Amapola" has no accent. Actually, when spoken it's accentuated on the "po" syllable.

browntrout, which names do you like?

madremia09 Wed 05-Aug-09 21:55:37

thansk very much aurynne smile

qumquat Thu 06-Aug-09 10:27:40

I used to live in Bilbao and I really love the Basque names Amaia (a-MY-a) and Ainara (eye-NA-ra) for girls and Inaki (i-NYA-kie(should be a tilde on the n)) for a boy.

bleh Thu 06-Aug-09 11:04:04

So, Enrique Iglesias, had he been English, would be Harry Iglesias? Not as sexy somehow ...

NotanOtter Thu 06-Aug-09 11:04:28

Idalina

jellybeans Thu 06-Aug-09 11:32:48

Teija is nice (tay-a)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now