Talk

Advanced search

Been thinking about Graham

(36 Posts)
tummytickler Fri 31-Jul-09 20:44:33

What do you think.
I think it has such a lovely sound, and you dont hear it around much.
There is nothing about it to not like, yet it still seems a bit unusable.
what do you think?
I feel the same about Gladys - it sounds so light and joyous, spirited and fun like a sunny day. All the sounds are nice - but it still seems unusable!

So graham and Gladys - what is the verdict?

Really struggling with boys names, and the 'next big thing' thread has scared me that i will accidentally pick the next Finlay or Esme!

Schulte Fri 31-Jul-09 20:46:41

Yep, like them both. I hate names that are in the top 10 so well done for going for something unusual!

MuppetsMuggle Fri 31-Jul-09 20:48:27

Graham is my dads name and Gladys is my Great Nans name grin they are both lovely

paisleyleaf Fri 31-Jul-09 20:51:48

I hear 'Graham' around a lot.
I know 3 Grahams (not children though)
and the ones I know do spoil the name for me.

Gladys - it's funny, I worked in a nursing home years ago and we used to joke about if the names would come around again. Never imagining a baby called Doris, Edith etc
but that generation have got some pretty names.

dizzydixies Fri 31-Jul-09 20:51:58

no to my taste sorry!

tummytickler Fri 31-Jul-09 20:54:06

Thanks Schulte - they have not been run past dh yet blush.
He is set on Hilda or Miriam for a dd and 'something Hebrew but i don't know what, maybe Shem, but we aren't Jewish' for a boy grin!
I prefer to run things past Mumsnet before dh grin

audley Fri 31-Jul-09 21:07:00

Love Gladys, but Graham not so much

HeinzSight Fri 31-Jul-09 21:10:41

What about Graeme My DH's name, I much prefer it to Graham

Bumperslucious Fri 31-Jul-09 21:28:27

Don't like it really, reminds me of a middle aged man, but then people are going to be saying that about Noah, Arlo and Oscar in 50 years so just go with whatever you like.

jellybeans Fri 31-Jul-09 21:39:03

Really dislike both, too old lady/middle aged man. Also dislike the 'ham' bit, weird I know but hear some say 'gray ham'.

loobylu3 Fri 31-Jul-09 22:00:07

I think Gladys is really sweet actually but Graham is awful!

mrswoolf Fri 31-Jul-09 22:06:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tummytickler Fri 31-Jul-09 22:06:04

I notice the lack of comments on Shem - is there a reason? grin (and do we need to be Jewish to use Shem?)

pointydog Fri 31-Jul-09 22:10:24

I have never like Graham/Graeme. For some reason it reminds me of sloppy reddy brek.

TwoHot Sat 01-Aug-09 17:12:13

I quite like it, not quite as much as the similar looking Gregor and Gregory tho.

proverbial Sat 01-Aug-09 17:30:38

Really don't like Graham, sorry, makes me think of a middle aged man who wears a lot of grey, a bobble hat and spends most of his time in the library. Thats prob just me though....

MamaLazarou Tue 04-Aug-09 15:19:53

I like Graham, too, but unfortunately, we share a surname with a certain pug-faced Irish chat-show host.

GossipMonger Tue 04-Aug-09 15:22:02

PMSL !!!

Graham is of the same ilk as

Colin
Keith
Ray
Roy

No! It is a Dad's name not a sweet little boy/toddler/teenager! Please no.

And Gladys is just - well - NO!!

screamingabdab Tue 04-Aug-09 16:01:57

No, sorry

Nigel is nice though

tummytickler Tue 04-Aug-09 17:16:10

GM - I love Ray/Raymond too, but it is my Dads name and he forbids me to use it! It is ds2's middle name instead!
I cant understand why Keith isn't more popular, with the coolest man ever (Keith Richards obv!) as a namesake! But its not for me!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 04-Aug-09 17:30:16

Maybe Graham is ripe for a comeback - I quite like it.

Not Shem though. If you had another DS then the next one would have to be Ham and that would really freak JellyBeans grin

midnightexpress Tue 04-Aug-09 17:32:52

I would probably never pick it, but you're right, it does sond kinda nice. I like Gray as a short form too. Hmm.

Gladys though, perhaps not.

Mammina Tue 04-Aug-09 17:41:38

Sorry but I have to agree with gossipmonger, although I do like Ray. Barry is of the same ilk too

Quite like gladys though

hulabula Tue 04-Aug-09 18:18:08

I like Gladys.

But I don't like Graham at all... it also doesn't travel well into other languages (which may or may not matter to you).

Of your boy suggestions, I prefer Shem (Shemuel).

Is this for your 5th child? Have you considered Quentin or Quinn (derived from Latin for Fifth)? Just an idea smile.

Alishanty Tue 04-Aug-09 20:28:45

I quite like Graham. When I was younger I used to say I would call my son Graham after Graham Coxon in Blur lol! I didn't but I still like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now