Talk

Advanced search

anyone know that website where you can find names to match siblings' names?

(25 Posts)
phlossie Thu 30-Jul-09 19:51:19

I've read threads in the past where posters mentioned a website where you can put in your DCs' names and it'll suggest names that go with them. Anyone know what it is?

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 19:55:09

How bizarre.
Why do they
a.) Have to 'match' and
b.) who makes the decision on whether they 'match' or not.

Can you not just choose something you like?

shavenhaven Thu 30-Jul-09 19:58:11

i remember seeing it on here before so someone will come along with the name.

tummytickler Thu 30-Jul-09 19:59:37

There is a book called the Baby Name Wizard that does that, adn ther is a website by the same woman, i think you might be able to do it on there.
i agree with Moondog though - i think names dont really have to match, but i think peoples taste means that they usuall sound good together as i suppose people like a style (so probably not a fan of Chelsea and Dorothea at the same time).
Did that make any sense hmm

dizzydixies Thu 30-Jul-09 20:00:11

nymbler - shall find a link

dizzydixies Thu 30-Jul-09 20:00:59

here it is

LynetteScavo Thu 30-Jul-09 20:01:28

I think names do have to match.

I've decided the only names I could use now are Imogen or Edward, as nothing else "goes".

dizzydixies Thu 30-Jul-09 20:09:18

they're both lovely names though Lynette smile

all 3 of my girls names 'go' and I think I'd be a bit too anal to have it any other way blush

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 30-Jul-09 20:11:15

I just tried it with mydds (very trad name) and it suggested Grover!

dizzydixies Thu 30-Jul-09 20:15:45

theProfiteroleThief - it has some more alternative ideas sometimes but I found if you banned and liked a few it got easier grin

Fillyjonk Thu 30-Jul-09 20:16:57

MATCH? Names have to MATCH?

They are NAMES, not coasters, fgs.

Furthermore, IMO if you like both names, they WILL match. They just will.

lockets Thu 30-Jul-09 20:18:15

Message withdrawn

phlossie Thu 30-Jul-09 20:19:43

I just thought it would be interesting to see what someone thought matched my DC's names. I haven't any ideas for a boys name - totally, totally stuck...

... I should mention that I'm not even pregnant - no, in fact, not even ttc yet! blush Just broody...

dizzydixies Thu 30-Jul-09 20:21:16

Fillyjonk that might be ok for you but having grown up hating my name I wanted all 3 of my girls to have similar styles of names with various shortenings they could choose from if they wanted to when they're older

I think its all personal opinion and circumstance not all about making them match when written lined up in a neat order on the personalised kitchen calander grin

dizzydixies Thu 30-Jul-09 20:22:09

phlossie, what are your DCs names - lockets and I are baby names daft so could probably come up with a few suggestions grin

phlossie Thu 30-Jul-09 20:30:18

Rufus and Betty (short for Beatrice)...

Fillyjonk Thu 30-Jul-09 20:32:06

yeah but surely you could hate your name even if it matched your siblings. Actually I'd have thought you were MORE likely to hate it if it matched.

I am not saying pick a name out of a hat, just choose a name because you love it, not because it "goes".

lockets Thu 30-Jul-09 20:33:46

Message withdrawn

Fillyjonk Thu 30-Jul-09 20:33:56

those are lovely names phlossie

but there you are-you clearly have great taste! I'm sure whatever you pick would match those. You are not going to have Rufus, Betty and Marge, or Rufus, Betty and Kevin, now, are you?

phlossie Thu 30-Jul-09 20:42:24

This discussion is just semantics - when I said 'match' I meant that the kind of names I like and have chosen for my children are likely to be of the same type, same taste. It just depends on how you interpret the word 'match', Fillyjonk. The kind of names I like tend to be old English, traditional but not too popular as a rule - that's just my taste, personal, cultural and familial influences.

Therefore, I thought one of these generator thingies might come up with a name that is also old English, traditional and not too popular - which is easier than trawling through millions of names. And it's fun. Whether it 'matches' or not depends on what you think matches. I might think Jason and Josephine match, you might think that only name to match Jason is Kylie... IYSWIM. The definition of match in this case is as personal as your taste in names.

phlossie Thu 30-Jul-09 20:44:37

Ta. No, not Kevin! And that generator suggested Colin!! My FIL's name, and no thanks!

But I still can't think of a boy's name I like as much as Rufus.

LovelyTinOfSpam Thu 30-Jul-09 20:50:20

Now I am totally addicted to that website...

And have just given birth 4 weeks ago so it really is a total waste of time!

dizzydixies Fri 31-Jul-09 08:36:22

phlossie your kids have lovely names, Beatrice nn Bea was a very close contender for DD3, just pipped to post and Rufus was on the list has she been a DS

others we had were

Jude
Jonah
Reuben
Cassius/Cassian
Noah
Roan
Tadgh

Cecilia
Celeste
Clementine
Imo gen
Violet
Arianna

and I too have names all lined up for potential DC4 that DH is not going to budge and let me have <<sigh>>

MamaLazarou Fri 31-Jul-09 08:43:41

I've never understood the concept of 'matching' names.

dizzydixies Fri 31-Jul-09 08:48:59

fillyjonk, sorry I missed your post - to me matchingdoesn't mean they have to 'go' BUT in our case DD1 and DD2 have longer more traditional names but we use a shortening everyday so when we had DD3 the name we wanted to use is more commonly used for boys and not traditional/able to be shortened iyswim so we used a more traditional/long name first and her used name as her first middle name - does that make sense?

she's known as the name we wanted to use but on her forms etc she has a traditional girls names with the options of short versions for her to choose from later on - it is in a similar style to DD1 and DD2 so they all have the same
they all have 2 middle names too grin

can you tell I overthink things?!?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now