Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Marisha?

(14 Posts)
MamaKaty Thu 30-Jul-09 10:04:10

What do you think of Marisha as a girl's name? It's listed on Mumsnet's Baby Name Finder.

This is my Polish Grandmothers name and I'd love to pass it on - what does everyone else think of it?
(She's known as Marie, but I prefer the full name)

sockonmyhead Thu 30-Jul-09 13:32:13

hmmm not sure, at first I thought it might be a made up name if you see what I mean. All names ending in sha make me think of kids being bellowed at across super markets!

But, as a passed on family name I rather like it, but i'm a sucker for a bit of history. Does it go with your surname?

MamaLazarou Thu 30-Jul-09 18:45:51

If you live in London, her friends will call her Marishaaaaarrrrrrrhhh.

itchyandscratchy Thu 30-Jul-09 18:50:29

It sounds like you're a bit pissed when you say it. sorry

But it's nice to name her after your Polish Gran. Could you use the Mari- bit, as in Maria/Marianne/Marianna or something?

MamaKaty Fri 31-Jul-09 10:50:22

Bit of a mixed reaction then!!

Our last name is Murray, so I think it sounds okay with it.

It's the history of the name that's really meaningful to me: My grandmother was taken from Poland during the war, and when she came to Ireland with my grandfather she changed her name and was always known as Marianne or Marie. It's always felt very sad to me that she left that identity behind along with the rest of her family, and her own language (which she's never spoken again).

I'm very close to her and when I was little shed used to tell me about what sounds like a delightful childhood... I love the idea of there being another happy little girl carrying her name into a happier life!!

I appreciate all the opinions though

sockonmyhead Fri 31-Jul-09 10:59:54

On further consideration I think it is rather nice, especially with your surname. I think you should go with it unless it would actually make your Grandma sad to do so. It is lovely to have a family name and story to pass on.

You will have to get used to her being Maareeeshaaa Mooreee some of the time though! smile

cthea Fri 31-Jul-09 11:03:43

I think you should use it only if you really like it on its own, apart from the history. It sounds like your grandma put the history behind her, e.g. not speaking the language again (not even with your GF - assuming he was Polish too?).

MamaKaty Fri 31-Jul-09 11:50:26

My Grandfather was Irish - he was in the Army and was part of the regiment that went into the camp to liberate prisoners.

My grandmother did put it behind her in a sense - but only because it was too painful for her to ever talk about. She didn't speak much English and suffered a lot of abuse when she first came to this country.

She never knew another Polish person here, and never knew if her own family had survived the war or not.

Sadly she has Alzheimers now and won't be aware that her name is being passed on. Her life has really been a very sad story but I feel pretty strongly about passing on her name because she had the kindest heart (I'm sure most people think that about their Granny's but I'm convinced it's true of mine!!)

And I think maybe it sounds better said with an Irish accent Sock!

LadyThompson Fri 31-Jul-09 12:58:50

I was at school with a Mauritia (as is Mauritius, I think her family were originally from there).

I think it's nice that you want to pass your granny's name on though. Plus it's an unusual nam (in the UK)

TheChilliMooseISNOTFOREATING Fri 31-Jul-09 13:04:34

I really like it so go for it. If I ever have a girl I might consider that.

cthea Fri 31-Jul-09 17:25:27

That's a sad story, MK, she must have felt so alone.

How does it sound with an Irish accent?

plonker Fri 31-Jul-09 17:27:32

Sounds like Sean Connery saying 'Marissa'

maggievirgo Fri 31-Jul-09 17:28:03

I like the history of it and the fact that it was your polish grandmother's name, but tbh I prefer Marianne or even Mariella.. Could you use something similar as a 'nod# to your grandma?

MamaKaty Fri 31-Jul-09 18:23:35

TBH I feel like changing it would dis-honour her in a way... she called herself Marianne or Marie to fit in when she got over here and it always seemed very symbolic to me that she felt like she had to change her name... it was like in a way she had to leave behind the person she was.
The stories she told me of her childhood when she was Marisha were of a happy childhood as part of a big family, in a beautiful area and as Marianna/Marie she lived a very lonely unhappy life in an alien country.
I do love hearing everyones opinion though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now