Talk

Advanced search

Have Tristan and Tristram gone over to the dark side? Even Miles?

(28 Posts)
bodingfure Mon 27-Jul-09 14:42:17

Heard recently (a friend was considering Tristan) that these are quite the opposite of the upper class names and image they used to have.
Is this true? Recently I read on here that Miles too has already gone this way.
I know that a person is supposed to make a name and all that, but still...

Tortington Mon 27-Jul-09 14:43:46

have the MCs taken it over - how v. rude!

i thought it was rather eton and harrow myself but there you go - certainly no coman as shit people i know would use those names.

FranSanDisco Mon 27-Jul-09 14:45:55

My nephew is Miles but spelt Myles. I am so sorree!

bodingfure Mon 27-Jul-09 14:48:26

I don't believe Miles has, you're right.
Our friends insists Tristan and Tristram should be avoided. Oh dear, I sound like an old gossip blush but you are known for your honesty on here and thought I'd find out for sure.

CommonNortherner Mon 27-Jul-09 15:44:56

Loads of riff raff are called Miles these days.

CommonNortherner Mon 27-Jul-09 15:45:53

But Tristan only made it as low as middle class right now.

janeite Mon 27-Jul-09 15:49:34

I think Myles may have but not the others. Tristan is yummy though.

muggglewump Mon 27-Jul-09 15:51:11

DD would have been Tristan if she'd been a boy, and she's almost 8 now. I didn't even know it was considered posh untill I came on MN.
I'm not posh at all.

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 15:52:15

I have a Takunda Myles (with a Y) grin

Mumcentreplus Mon 27-Jul-09 16:32:00

Hey FAQ..hows the get together going?

Tarquin,Sebastian,Fabian,Leander,Charles,Perciville,Blair,Julian,Quentin,Quincy,Rupert,Mon tgommery,Hubert,Hillary,Randolph,Maurice,Francis,Godrfrey,Tristan,miles all Poshtastic

janeite Mon 27-Jul-09 16:33:14

I taught a very 'inner-city' Fabian!

LynetteScavo Mon 27-Jul-09 16:35:55

Miles (or even Myles) and Tristan seem to have, um...been...down graded around here.

pixiestix Tue 28-Jul-09 08:26:48

Gutted about Tristan, I've always thought it was fab. Am now wondering if I am a chav... hmm

lockets Tue 28-Jul-09 08:30:29

Message withdrawn

JRocks Tue 28-Jul-09 08:31:27

Tristan is not posh in Cornwall, it's just a normal name. Not 'chavvy' either. It's just celtic.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Tue 28-Jul-09 08:36:15

Love Tristan, didn't know it was considered posh. If I had a boy it would have been either Tristan or Dylan. What this does tell about me I do not know.
one name I dislike is Piers and Linus,

lockets Tue 28-Jul-09 08:40:12

Message withdrawn

lljkk Tue 28-Jul-09 08:59:06

I was going to post on the "Are you a chav?" thread that
"I have a DS named Tristan"
(DS2, sigh -- sigh because it gets labeled a chav name, I still like it, anyway).
I can't figure out how to say Tristram, mind, it doesn't exactly trip off the tongue, does it?
I don't know anyone called Miles.
Tristan is a little bit popular around here, among all sorts of families near as I can tell.
As a follow-on to that controversial choice, we gave DS3 an extremely boring name, mind.
I think of "Theo" and "Luka" (those very popular MN choices) as iconically and diagnostically class-specific: "Middle Class".

DamonBradleylovesPippi Tue 28-Jul-09 12:14:58

I know blush. It's just one came into my head at the last minute!

PuppyLoves Tue 28-Jul-09 14:05:28

Theo is not middle class. I have known many Theos over the years and they have all been working class.
And Theo Walcott which ensure there are plenty more working class Theos to follow.

Can I just add that if you are working class it doesnt neccessiarl follow that you will be a chav. Some people on this thread seem to think one equates to the other.

PuppyLoves Tue 28-Jul-09 14:06:07

Ignore typos, dd is helping me type hmm

mrswoolf Tue 28-Jul-09 14:15:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuppyLoves Tue 28-Jul-09 14:22:08

Siegfried? Now that is posh grin

Ozziegirly Wed 29-Jul-09 05:49:26

Names like Tristan aren't chav names. Come on people!

Chav names are things like Britney-Diamond, Chanelle-Leeigh, that kind of thing. Not perfectly normal names.

To be a chav name I think you need to have at least two of the following characteristics:

1. Double barrelled first name.
2. One of those names grossly misspelled
3. Name of a D list celebrity child/someone from big brother
4. Using a word that would never be associated with a name as a name.
5. Is a brand of something.

So therefore, popular names do not become chav merely by being popular. Totally different.

lockets Wed 29-Jul-09 08:48:21

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now