Talk

Advanced search

Caoimhe - can England handle it?

(58 Posts)
pixiestix Sun 26-Jul-09 18:11:32

Caoimhe (pron. Kwee-va)
Ok, I love love love this name, and DH is Irish so have an excuse to use it grin
but..
I wonder if it is child cruelty to give future DD a name that no one in England is going to know how to say.
And also wondered about teasing potential? The worst I can think of is "Quaver" maybe, but I know MNers have a brilliant capacity to spot a really awful rhyme/association a mile off so wanted to throw it to the lions.
Be brutal!

PS - I know it is pronounced Kee-va in some parts of Ireland but I would want the Kwee-va version.

TeaMonster Sun 26-Jul-09 18:12:25

Is it a girl or boys name?

bigstripeytiger Sun 26-Jul-09 18:14:18

I wouldnt be surprised if I met a child called Caoimhe, but I would have pronounced it Keeva.

Northernlurker Sun 26-Jul-09 18:15:00

Oh is that how you pronounce it? I have wondered.

Well that just gives grist to your mill about nobody being able to say or spell it but it is a pretty name, very culturally appropriate to you and Dh's familiy will one assumes be thrilled so go for it!

AitchTwoOh Sun 26-Jul-09 18:15:20

i would pronounce it keeva too

GoldenSnitch Sun 26-Jul-09 18:15:25

I would have thought it was Ka-oh-me - would never have gotten Kwee-va from that spelling!!

limonchik Sun 26-Jul-09 18:17:36

I know a couple of Caoimhes - one is a Kweeva and one a Keeva.

blametheparents Sun 26-Jul-09 18:19:45

There is a little girl at DD's gymnastics called Caoimhe.
It is obv an Irish name so silly unusual spelling is expected!
It is a lovely name, as long as you have Irish connections, which you do.

AitchTwoOh Sun 26-Jul-09 18:22:46

tbh i don't really like either pronunciation. kweeva seems especially daft.

GorgonsGin Sun 26-Jul-09 18:40:42

I'd pronounce it Kee-va (I have a friend who says it that way). I think it's a very pretty name, but inevitably she will have to spell it every single time, repeat it often and people pronouncing it in lots of strange ways.

If you are extra sensitive about pronunciation, even the people who broadly know how to pronounce it, may get it wrong IYKWIM.

qumquat Sun 26-Jul-09 19:15:16

I know two Caoimhe's (both Irish) and they're both Keeva, I've never heard of the Kweeva pronunciation. I definitely prefer Keeva.

I like it but it will involve a lifetime of spelling it out and correcting the pronunciation.

Tidey Sun 26-Jul-09 19:18:18

I also prefer the Keeva pronunciation. Kweeva sounds a tiny bit like what you'd do if you saw a ghost.

MrsMcCluskey Sun 26-Jul-09 19:20:51

It is not obvious from the spelling how it is pronounced, for some reasonm I thought it said
'comehome!'
It sounds quite haarsh too

hunkermunker Sun 26-Jul-09 19:21:24

Rhymes with beaver.

keevamum Sun 26-Jul-09 19:21:43

My DD1 is called Keeva. We love it. My Mum's family is Irish and it is in our family. However, we called and spellt her name, Keeva down in the south of England, so that people would know how to spell and say it. Only problem is she has now decided she would prefer to spell it the proper way and at 9 years old she is now reverting to Caoimhe!!! Beautiful name and yes the English can handle it.

hunkermunker Sun 26-Jul-09 19:21:45

And people will pronounce it "quim".

expatinscotland Sun 26-Jul-09 19:23:56

I thought it was Keeva? Never heard it 'kwee-va'. Sorry, but I think kwee-va sounds awful.

keevamum Sun 26-Jul-09 19:24:01

By the way she has never been teased, yet!

lljkk Sun 26-Jul-09 19:25:20

I think it sounds naff (sorry). Like a character in a Lion King movie, maybe, at the very best.
You call your child what you like, never mind me grin.

PixiNanny Sun 26-Jul-09 19:28:33

I tbh would have had no idea how to say it, however I'm constantly having to tell people how to say my surname so I say go for it if you like it and if relevant (which with an Irish DH would be I s'pose ) I've always liked a few Irish names but wouldn't have a valid reason for using them except in my stories grin

keevamum Sun 26-Jul-09 19:31:18

Don't listen to people who say it sounds naff. I think if people are unfamiliar with it then it does sound a bit naff. Even my mother in law didn't like it at first but after about a year, everyone had changed their minds and now all agree it is a beautiful name. In fact most people were very offended when we gave our second DD an english name instead of another 'beautiful Irish name'.

piscesmoon Sun 26-Jul-09 19:32:36

I wouldn't put a DC through a lifetime of having to pronounce and spell it-they will be thoroughly fed up before they even get to 18yrs-they could have 100yrs of it!!!

LackaDAISYcal Sun 26-Jul-09 19:36:46

<snort> at hunker grin

always heard it pronounced keeva, never kweeva.

As long as she is prepared for:

A) not knowing how to spell her name at school for ages after everyone else can do it and....

B) always spelling it when she is dealing with things over the phone immediately after saying it.

then go for it; England is fairly multicultural you know, I think they'll cope!

I have a double whammy of a difficult to spell first name and an unusual given name so speak from experience. I have a fairly normal married name, but often find myself spelling it out, out of habit!

keevamum Sun 26-Jul-09 19:36:52

Actually I don't know why I am trying to persuade you. I love the fact her name is beautiful and yet also quite unique, so I should be putting you off using it so it remains unique!wink

Sazisi Sun 26-Jul-09 19:39:26

I think the pronounciation is slightly open to interpretation - I've heard both - so go with whichever you like best. 'Kweeva' is the most usual.
I know a girl called Ciava (Keeva) which I think is nice too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now