Talk

Advanced search

Help - 4 weeks to go and no girl's name!

(21 Posts)
SloogBoog Fri 24-Jul-09 22:30:02

Hi - your advice appreciated please! Already have 2 year old daughter called Esme (pronounced 'Es-may' - can't find accent on keyboard!)and her surname starts with 'S'.

Expecting girl mark 2 in August. Want something a bit funky and strong and not too ridiculously popular.

Shortlist is:
Phoebe
Alexa
Lila
Violet.

Any thoughts, or name suggestions? Please, please....

sleepsforwimps Fri 24-Jul-09 22:32:00

Hebe

Scorpette Sat 25-Jul-09 00:05:43

Esme and Lila sound good together

boodleboot Sat 25-Jul-09 00:12:56

NO NOT LILA.... i can't stop thinking of that awful oasis song or that terrible actress that plays Lila the english AA sponsor in Dexter...shockingly bad.

how about Lia?

Monkey74 Sat 25-Jul-09 00:17:30

Oh oh oh - how about Nancy???

lockets Sat 25-Jul-09 00:20:57

Message withdrawn

seeker Sat 25-Jul-09 00:22:19

Iris
Constance
Clemency (I will die happy if someone actually calls their child Clemency on my suggestion!)
Adelaide
Ruth
Margaret (shortened to Maggie)

Monkey74 Sat 25-Jul-09 00:23:19

I'm due in 5wks & we have no idea for a boy.

For girl it will either be Jessica or Nancy,

Like all the oldey ones...

Deemented Sat 25-Jul-09 08:37:07

I like Alexis better then Alexa.

FickleFairy Sat 25-Jul-09 08:41:02

I think Esme is quite a soft name (soft on the tongue, not soft as in sappy) so I think Lila is a lovely match.

Also love the suggestions of Jemima and Maggie.

Not so keen on Alexa or Violet, purely as I don't think they sound so good with Esme - which is a fab name by the way!

Let us know if you make a decision.

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 25-Jul-09 08:41:31

I think that Alexa goes best from your list.

Or how about Roxanne?

SloogBoog Sat 25-Jul-09 08:58:53

Thanks so much for all your input. Some great suggestions. My partner loves Alexa but loads of people have told him it's a bit chavvy. Not sure I agree. Phoebe is my favourite, but are there just too may around, when my older daughter has a far more unusual name? Such a hard choice....

magbags Sat 25-Jul-09 12:42:46

I met a brand new baby girl the other day called Greta, thought this was strong but still feminine. Esme and Greta?

Also I like Joy and Stella.grin

magbags Sat 25-Jul-09 12:44:24

From your list I like Alexa best, it's a lovely name. I only know one, whose knew baby sister has just been named Lara.

jellybeans Sat 25-Jul-09 19:22:57

Alexa is my favourite, it's lovely.

I also like

Cara
Leona/Leoni
Nicole
Eva
Briony
Annalise
Hope
Brooke

gero Sat 25-Jul-09 22:16:01

Saskia S
Sasha S
Serena S
Sabrina S

Violet is gorgeous

Leonora is lovely,
Lila and Phoebe great names too, but lots and lots around.

Good luck with DD2, let us know what you decide.

maniacbug Sat 25-Jul-09 23:25:19

Hi there,
LOVE the name Esme!
Of your list Violet is my fave - lovely.
I've got a 2-year-old Agatha Hope (Aggie to most people) - it got a hmm reaction from my mum on the phone when we told her but most comments we've had have been favourable and I absolutely love it - it really suits her. Would Esme and Agatha work for you? (for info, have recently discovered it on www.nameberry.com in their 'clunky but cool names' and 'old lady cool' lists!) or Esme and Hope? Iris, as suggested above, also goes really well (and is currently our front-runner for no. 3, due Nov!).

margotandjerry Sun 26-Jul-09 07:52:55

Violet, Violet, Violet!! Dd's name and we haven't looked back. Feisty yet soft, goreous flower, colour, scent and vintage overtones. With a smattering of French sophistication(Violette) and a name that has been in use since the middle ages, although it did become more popular with the Victorians and the other flower names - less popular than Daisy, Lily, Poppy et al. and more stylish imo.

Not only this but many charming book heroines also have this name, my favourite being Violet Baudelaire of Lemony Snicket fame. We have had no negative comments about Violet and when dd, now 3, tells people her name, they always respond with a smile and tell her it's a lovely name.

It also looks gorgeous in print or written on paper.

Phew!

margotandjerry Sun 26-Jul-09 07:58:46

Alexa seems a bit sullen to me - on growing up would be 'Sexy Lexy' - don't know how that would go down, and Lila is rather widespread.

dizzydixies Sun 26-Jul-09 11:59:08

Nothing sullen about Alexa at all & no need for it to be sexy lexy at allhmm great choice as are Violet & phoebe. What about Lyra instead of lila?

rimmer08 Mon 27-Jul-09 19:35:50

phoebe is such a cute name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now