Talk

Advanced search

is there an etiquette if naming baby after someone???

(8 Posts)
choklit Mon 20-Jul-09 04:49:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sibble Mon 20-Jul-09 05:04:42

I would use the name you want. You don't have to tell closer family that it was chosen because of the relative if you don't want to. We deliberately didn't chose a family name (mostly because we didn't want to inflict Ernie and Eric on the poor boys grin) but chose a name we both liked. As it happened it turned out to be my great-grandfathers name which please my maternal side no end. We just didn't bother mentioning it to the other sides of the family!

abitclueless Mon 20-Jul-09 10:30:33

I'd say that you really like the name and it makes it extra special that it's X's name too. I really wouldn't worry about it

funnypeculiar Mon 20-Jul-09 10:37:19

Ds's second name is after one of my uncles (ie his great uncle) - he is childless. No-one seemed offended and he seemed chuffed. We did ask his (uncles') permission though.

Likewise dd's second name is for my sister, and we asked her permission too.

funnypeculiar Mon 20-Jul-09 10:39:22

Oh, sorry, a point about the childless thing - my second cousin used my grandma's name (ie her great-great aunt). I was slightly put out (not cross with her, though) as it was my prefered name for a (then mythical) dd. I do think if you are using a name that others might want to use, a bit of checking might be politic (although obviously, nothing to stop the same name being used twice in an extended family)

choklit Tue 21-Jul-09 07:48:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Tue 21-Jul-09 08:04:58

We chose our childrens names and used them, did not ask anyone if we could, did not care if someone had their eye on that name for upcoming children, no one owns a name.

girlsyearapart Tue 21-Jul-09 08:19:31

Hi my sister heroically attended dd2's birth to assist DH (turns out definitely necessary as I was whisked away to theatre and they had to dress and feed her without me!) We said she could choose the middle name but she couldn't decide so her middle name is same as my sisters. She was well chuffed.
Was worrying about same ish thing though as dd1 just has a middle name we liked and if we ever have a ds his middle name will be same as my Dad. Worrying my Mum will feel left out!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now