Talk

Advanced search

Who likes the name Gerald

(16 Posts)
gembobs Sun 19-Jul-09 01:10:06

My 7 week old DS is called Gerald after my grandad who passed away in 2006 but all my family tell me he will b picked on in school for having an old name but i actually like the name.

gigglewitch Sun 19-Jul-09 01:13:40

I know a small "jed/ged" who is fab and not at all picked on.
Congrats on your ds, and it is nice to have such a special name for him. All my dc have a 'family name' and one of their own, and I really do think it is lovely.

thumbwitch Sun 19-Jul-09 01:54:04

s'a nice name. Can't see the issue really. It's not like it's Norbert, is it now?
{Dons tin hat in case of any Norbert lovers around)
Ger or Gerry, Ged or Gez all seem to work as nns.

BitOfFun Sun 19-Jul-09 01:59:11

All the short versions are lovely, but not so stuck on the full version. That's ok though - and a family name is always nice.

liliputlady Sun 19-Jul-09 06:40:46

I think children are generally more accepting of names than adults are. They will not think of it as an older man' name, as some adults might.

I avoided using my late Grandmother's name for DD1 for the same reasons. With hindsight, had I been more adventurous, she would have had a beautiful unusual retro name. With the safer name I gave her (which I do love), there is always someone with the same name as her close by! So be happy with your choice.

skidoodle Sun 19-Jul-09 07:21:49

Kids choose the child they're going to pick on before they choose the reason.

Your family are being silly. I'm not crazy about the name but 4 year olds won't know it is "old".

Loads of nice short versions... the more I think about it the morebi like it.

chamoiscreased Sun 19-Jul-09 10:37:11

Agree with Skidoodle, the more I think about it the more I like it! I read the thread title and thought, omw, Gerald - but after reading it's a family name and saying it in my head a few times - I think it's great! and I think Jed/Ged is a cool nickname.

geordieminx Sun 19-Jul-09 10:41:49

Qyite popular in Scotland.

Dp would have had for ds, but Gerard... after Stevie hmm

pointydog Sun 19-Jul-09 10:59:28

not keen at all. Gerry quit egood though

Meglet Sun 19-Jul-09 20:12:03

Gerald is a cool name. I very much doubt he would be picked on for it. And anyway the other children will have no idea it is more common as an older name.

Gonnabamumma Mon 20-Jul-09 22:45:56

Love it, my lovely, dearly missed Dad was a Gerald, but was known as Gerry - if I have a boy in September, I want to call him Gerry. Now just have to persuade DH!

hmc Mon 20-Jul-09 22:52:32

It's lovely that you named him after your grandad

lilacpink Mon 20-Jul-09 22:54:11

Ged and Gerry and cute and cool

lilacpink Mon 20-Jul-09 22:54:48

sorry 'are', not 'and'.

fishie Mon 20-Jul-09 22:56:08

i had a friend called gerald when i was younger, he was very cool. we mainly called him gel.

it is my dad's middle name too. i like it lots.

alexpolismum Tue 21-Jul-09 15:08:30

There are both a Gerald and a Gerard in my extended family. I like both, and neither has encountered any particular teasing. One is known as Gerry, the other as Reg (Ger backwards). Don't ask me why, it just happened!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now