Talk

Advanced search

Chinese baby names

(15 Posts)
Minicooper Thu 16-Jul-09 19:30:00

Dh is Chinese and dd has a Chinese middle name, which we both love. No 2 now on the way and we'd like to continue this tradition, but want some fresh ideas - we used our favourite last time! Don't know what we're having, so either sex please!

BlueBumedFly Thu 16-Jul-09 20:27:48

Mae?

bluemango Thu 16-Jul-09 20:45:46

My DH is also Chinese, so DD's middle name is Li Yun (beautiful cloud).

My friend's DD's middle name is Ting (graceful), which I love. (There's also Ting Ting - slim and graceful)

You'd need to double check the meanings but we also considered:

Li Hua (pear blossom)
Mei Xing (beautiful star)
Mei Hua (beautiful flower)
Mei Xue (snow child)

I love some of the names with Xs in but we weren't sure about people here trying to pronounce them.

I have no idea about boys names, sorry - good luck!

angel1976 Thu 16-Jul-09 21:20:10

DH is Brit and I am Chinese. My DS's middle name is Jun Kai.

Jun - Handsome or Complete (depending on how you write it)
Kai - Happiness

So whatever combo we pick, it has a lovely meaning. Expecting DS2 and we think we will keep the 'Kai' element so they have a common Chinese character (common practice in Chinese families).

For girls, friend's daughter has named her Jia Xuan, which I think it lovely. Congrats!

Minicooper Fri 17-Jul-09 12:02:19

Thank you - lovely suggestions! Dd's middle name is Mei, so obviously on the same page, Bbf and bluemango! Any more?

TsarChasm Fri 17-Jul-09 12:06:46

What lovely names and meanings. So gracefulsmile

georgiemum Fri 17-Jul-09 12:07:03

Probably being a bit thick here... but is it still traditional to have generation names in China (or is that something I read in a historical book?).

angel1976 Fri 17-Jul-09 13:52:18

georgiemum - It was in my generation (Grandmother from China but family in SE Asia now). Essentially, the Chinese name is three characters:

First character - Surname
Second and third character - Person's name

In my family, all the girls in my generation (I'm in 30s now btw) were all named Something Ping and all the boys were Guo Something. My DF and his brothers all had names Tiang Something. The idea being that you should be able to identify which generation (and where they are in the family tree) by hearing their name. It kinda got lost with the next generation but my cousins and I have talked about reviving it! grin

Minicooper - I can list my cousins' names if that helps! grin

Siew Ping
Li Ping
Tsu Ping
Mei Ping
Guo (meaning: country, patriotic) Qing
Guo Liang
Guo Hui
Guo Yao

If I can think of anymore...

georgiemum Fri 17-Jul-09 14:36:37

I love that idea.

angel1976 Fri 17-Jul-09 22:36:20

Yes, I think it's really cool too. Unfortunately it's one of those traditions that kinda got lost but now hoping to get a revival of sorts. There used to be a lot of emphasis on giving your child the perfect name but it got harder as the language got more 'diluted' down the generations. Sad, isn't it?

mumzy Sat 18-Jul-09 09:51:21

I think you need to decide which dialect you want the name pronounced in as they can sound very different for mandarin or cantonese (2 most common dialects in UK.)

Also if you're happy with a completely chinese name which can sound strange in English or something which also works well in English.

In canton a first name is usually made up of 2 characters are the norm whereas in other places its usually one.

common characters for girls (cantonese pronouncations):
mei- beauty
Ling - grace
Kar - First
Oi - love
Yi- ladylike
kei - tradition
Sui - small/delicate
Yuc -jade (precious)

boys:
Kwok - patriotic
Ping - balanced
Shing - succeed
Fei - fearless
Wing - always
On - comfort
Kin - healthy

Minicooper Sat 18-Jul-09 19:37:09

Thanks, mumzy, that's helpful, the family are Cantonese speaking, so we'll probably stick with that. We liked Mei as it worked for both English and Chinese relatives, but its difficult to find others that do the same - and we like!

mumzy Sun 19-Jul-09 00:01:40

Lili would work for a girl its also the name of a flower/plant in cantonese.

providentielle Mon 20-Jul-09 02:03:11

My Chinese friend has the middle name Yi Li (sp?) which I have always loved

LoveBuckets Tue 21-Jul-09 21:06:42

Wing Chun means beautiful springtime, can't remember which is which thoughgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now