Talk

Advanced search

unusual boys names

(12 Posts)
harlok Thu 16-Jul-09 12:48:57

i love the name sawyer but i'm afraid that it's gaining popularity in the states rapidly and that it will become another over-used name like corey(no offence it's my DS1 name). do you think that this will be a passing trend or do you think it will continue to rise in the charts? Also another name i like which doesn't have the same problem is Fyren an aglo-saxon name whats your opinions on this?

GetOrfMoiCockroachCluster Thu 16-Jul-09 13:05:15

I actually like Fyren. However it means 'wicked'. I don't know if name meanings matter to you but it would put me off a bit tbh.

Sawyer is also a nice name but I think I remember it from when Rachel and Ross were choosing the baby's name in Friends and they took the piss out of it a bit (how sad that I remember all Friends story lines)

MamaLazarou Thu 16-Jul-09 13:11:36

Sawyer's nice. People might mistake it for Soya, though.

GrapefruitMoon Thu 16-Jul-09 13:11:40

I wouldn't choose a name that is currently a character in a well-known tv series. I know a child called the same name as a character from Dynasty and I am a bit hmm

harlok Thu 16-Jul-09 14:09:14

getorfmoicockroachcluster i am interested to know what rachael and ross said just for future reference in the bullying dept.?

i don't mind a tiny bit of wicked in my DS's nature i call it strength of character. we can't all be angels! hehe.

GetOrfMoiCockroachCluster Thu 16-Jul-09 15:24:30

I suppose you may look at it as meaning wicked as in wicked, innit <throws boyakasha style hand gesture> as opposed to wicked as in evil grin. I do like Fyren apart from this.

I think that Ross suggested Sawyer and Rachel's response was 'do you hate our child?' or summat.

Grapefruit - who do you knoe was named after a character in Dynasty (Fallon, Alexis, Dexter, Krystal?). I know someone who was named Chase after a character in Falcon's Crest grin

harlok Thu 16-Jul-09 16:09:23

i was thinking of wicked in the original sense, these days everyone needs a little bit of it in them.

anyhow apart from their meanings what do you prefer?
sawyer
fyren
raphael (DD just asked to throw this one in)!

GetOrfMoiCockroachCluster Thu 16-Jul-09 16:58:43

Oh Raphael is a lovely name, I actually prefer that to the others, also Gabriel is a nice name, if you are thinking of having an angel grin

Names on my fantasy boy list:

Inigo or Iago
Schuyler (is a Dutch name, pronounced Sky-lar)
Baylis
Frederick
Wilfred
Hubert
Samson

suwoo Thu 16-Jul-09 17:04:22

Sawyer, would only make me think of the amazingly gorgeous Sawyer from Lost. Not that that is a bad thing to be thinking about of course.

The name would conjure up his image to a lot of people I imagine.

harlok Thu 16-Jul-09 17:42:00

how about shilah? it's never going to happen due to DH but still it's nice to see what could've been.

harlok Thu 16-Jul-09 17:49:47

i can't really have angels as my friend has already bagged both of those names and i'd feel a bit of thief if i did happen to use one

devientenigma Sun 19-Jul-09 22:30:19

Possibly not that unusual now but at the time, my son is Brynley. However I like Efram and Corin. Sawyer made me think of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. The later being more unusual (not that I like it) Why don't you look at surnames as a first name. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now