Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Layla for a girl, Ethan for a boy.....opinions please! (I won't get narky, I promise)

(43 Posts)
Boodlerpoop Thu 16-Jul-09 09:43:41

unsure about spelling of Layla/Laila tho....

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Thu 16-Jul-09 09:46:29

Layla/laila is nice enough but does make me think of Eric Clapton.
Ethan is lovely. smile

seeker Thu 16-Jul-09 09:48:02

Ethan - depends where you live. My ds's friend will be Efan all his life (unless he moves away from Kent.......!)

PrincessToadstool Thu 16-Jul-09 09:50:04

Love Ethan, but don't like Layla, only because I know one who is a vile cow - shame as it is a pretty name.

CoteDAzur Thu 16-Jul-09 09:51:10

Layla/Laila/Leyla is a Muslim name of Arab origin that means "dark night". Imho it is a bit bizarre that little blond English roses are being named Layla lately.

Thandeka Thu 16-Jul-09 09:51:21

The Layla I know is a big slut and very messed up. Not sure if the name has anything to do with it!

Ethan is nice though.

Boodlerpoop Thu 16-Jul-09 09:51:32

Ireland...so that's okDon't mind the Clapton association, love the songI prefer Laila, but himself insists on Layla cos 'everybody will spell it like that anyway..'

PrincessToadstool Thu 16-Jul-09 09:51:38

Love Ethan, but don't like Layla, only because I know one who is a vile cow - shame as it is a pretty name.

PrincessToadstool Thu 16-Jul-09 09:52:07

Oops blush

minko Thu 16-Jul-09 09:53:19

Nice names but a bit err, popular these days. Likely to sound a bit of a chav combo in years to come... (sorry)

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Thu 16-Jul-09 09:53:28

My friend's dd is Layla Mae - I think it's a gorgeous name!

Boodlerpoop Thu 16-Jul-09 09:59:41

Chavvy thing is what I'm worried about...Don't actually know anybody with those names tho...and don't want anything too unusual either...know what you mean about slut/vile cow associations, put me off a lot of names

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Thu 16-Jul-09 10:00:26

Boodle I'm in Ireland too!
What's wrong with Padraic and Grainne ? winkgrin

Boodlerpoop Thu 16-Jul-09 10:07:49

I know, was lookin at loads of Irish names and Ross O' Carroll-Kelly ruined them all on me....heard a Guiseppe (can't spell that) the other day...Guiseppe Pugh. :O

angel1976 Thu 16-Jul-09 10:20:58

I love Ethan and considering it for DS2 but it seems to be getting more and more common! It's really popular in the US and in Australia.

Layla is gorgeous. I love things spelt with a 'y' rather than an 'i'.

llynnnn Thu 16-Jul-09 10:23:20

really like them both, dd2 would have been Ethan if she were a boy!

MamaLazarou Thu 16-Jul-09 11:19:11

I like Layla, but prefer the spelling Leila.

I don't like Ethan, and can't put my finger on the reason why. It just seems too trendy and American-Movie-Star.

craftynclothy Thu 16-Jul-09 11:23:42

I like them both. We considered both of them when I was pregnant with dd1. Decided against Layla cos it doesn't go with our surname tbh. Obv ruled out Ethan when we found out we were having a girl!

clairebear88 Thu 16-Jul-09 11:24:01

Hi

Love love these 2 names. I would use them but have problems with both
Layla - is beautiful but it rhymes with our surname so sounds funny
Ethan - My DH is cockney so says Eefan so again sounds stupid.

But go for it as they are nice names

brimfull Thu 16-Jul-09 11:24:50

don't like either

Boodlerpoop Fri 17-Jul-09 19:34:32

yup, mind definetly made up for Layla, not too sure bout Ethan but himself loves it so might just gop for it....have feeling it's a girl anyway...

margotandjerry Mon 20-Jul-09 06:27:31

both sound pleasant but are or are becoming very popular...if you don't mind your kids being one of many...then go for it!

jellybeans Mon 20-Jul-09 13:05:29

Great names

MamaHobgoblin Mon 20-Jul-09 13:08:13

I can't even say Layla without singing it a la Eric Clapton! grin Nice name but suspect many people will have the same problem.

Ethan - meh. It's very American, isn't it? My two associations are: my old computer was wiped out by a virus called Ethan, and wasn't Ethan a Big Baddie in Lost?

Sorry, not very helpful!

GoldenSnitch Mon 20-Jul-09 13:31:11

My sister is named Leilah and it really suits her.

There is the Eric Clapton link and she now hates 'that' song but I don't think she'd change her name for the world.

It's Arabic/Hebrew/Persian and means night beauty or dark haired beauty which I don't think rules out any English roses. My sister is gorgeous and has lovely dark brown hair - perfect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now