Talk

Advanced search

I defy you to tell me this an OK name!

(26 Posts)
TheProfiteroleThief Wed 15-Jul-09 19:23:18

Heard in the playground today

'Obi-Wan'

Honestly. Am hoping it is a nickname. Poor little chap! He did answer to it too.

As I often call my children 'chicken', 'noisy knickers' etc, it could be a nickname, but I suspect it may not be.

Bumperslucious Wed 15-Jul-09 19:44:42

DD's nick name is sausage so it could be a nickname. She has just turned 2 and she said to DH the other DD 'actually it's XXXXX' giving her proper name grin!

If that is a real name then hmm. Can you ask your DC?

Pippinella Wed 15-Jul-09 19:47:27

Could it have been Oberon only you heard it wrong? Oberon as in King of the Fairies <<teehee>>>. Its a smidgeon better than Obi Wan grin

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 15-Jul-09 19:49:30

Is there no way to checck the childrens names list in your area andd search for kids with this name?? Yoou know, ccan you look at the registrars names list?

DracoDormiensNunquamTitilandus Wed 15-Jul-09 19:49:32

Thinkbabynames.com claims it is a traditional Japanese name hmm

mopsyflopsy Wed 15-Jul-09 19:58:00

Sounds like an Asian name to me. Perhaps a very common one from another culture?

Frizbe Wed 15-Jul-09 19:58:53

There is a kid in our town who is called Axel-Rose, seriously hmm

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 15-Jul-09 19:59:29

draco - how daft do you think we are?! grin

bluemango Wed 15-Jul-09 20:15:58

Isn't Draco the evil boy from Harry Potter?

bluemango Wed 15-Jul-09 20:17:33

Sorry, read backwards and thought the boy's name was Draco...

MaggieBeBold Wed 15-Jul-09 21:38:14

I bet it was a nn!!

I often shout out Posy and Tubby we're going now. I bet people think hmmmm, that's different.

MamaLazarou Thu 16-Jul-09 08:26:07

Oberon is a brilliant name!

sleeplessinstretford Thu 16-Jul-09 08:55:06

i call my baby daughter snoop dogg as an affectionate nn, in the park the other week the girl pushing the swing next to me upon over hearing this said 'that's brilliant, my lickle boys called Kanye' I've only ever heard Kanye as in Kanye West but seriously had to walk away that she thought my dd was named bleeding snoop dogg...

Greensleeves Thu 16-Jul-09 08:59:29

I really like the name Draco grin

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 16-Jul-09 09:04:47

grin Snoop Dog!

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 16-Jul-09 18:12:17

I q like Oberon!
I have to admit, the urge to stalk to determine whether real or nickname was pretty strong!

LoveBuckets Sun 19-Jul-09 20:09:43

He might just be going through a phase. My DD insisted that she was to be known as Sam-the-dog when she was 2. Wouldn't answer to any name but Sam. At the same time she insisted her baby brother was called Scoop and that stuck with us for a good year!

nickelbabe Thu 23-Jul-09 17:30:43

ooh, i like Kanye.
is it pronounced "KAN Ya"?

Fimbo Thu 23-Jul-09 17:39:52

My ds has a Kanye in his class but his mother says Cane.

blametheparents Thu 23-Jul-09 17:41:40

One of DD's friends insisted on being called Salad Cream for a bit!

Tortoise Thu 23-Jul-09 17:42:39

There is an Obi is my DS2's school.

loler Thu 23-Jul-09 18:55:36

My sisters have got a friend called Yoda, very weird when they first knew him at primary school - 20 years later not so weird. It's just turned into another name.

monkeyfeathers Fri 24-Jul-09 16:01:18

TBH, I think Yoda would still be considered weird. Maybe you and your sisters just got used to it.

Disenchanted3 Fri 24-Jul-09 16:02:56

It might not have been his name!!

DS is into 'Indiana Jones' at the moment and only answers to 'Indiana' half of the time so I am often heard shouting

'Oi, Indiana, come back here'

That is NOT his name!

CurlyCasper Wed 29-Jul-09 21:00:44

When I was little my mum would sometimes refer to me as Petunia. After overhearing this in Woolies one day, a woman walked up to my gran and scoffed "Your daughter didn't really call her little girl that, did she?". It was said in such a rude manner that my gran said: "yes, and we all think it's beautiful".

My name is not Petunia BTW!

I think the person who suggested Obi-Wan could be common in another culture might want to google it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now