Talk

Advanced search

Would you give your DC the same name as one of your friend's DCs?

(13 Posts)
olivo Sun 12-Jul-09 10:40:38

DH and I are finding it difficult to agree on names and have only one in agreement. I have one colleague with an older son (in his teens) with this name and one old friend who i see every couple of years and one more aquaintance whose son has this name. Should that stop us from using it, do you think?

we really, really can't find another name we both like which sounds ok with our DD's name!

rubyslippers Sun 12-Jul-09 10:53:24

i would use it

saintmaybe Sun 12-Jul-09 11:05:19

I didn't but I sometimes wish I had because we don't see much of them any more. If you love it, use it.

boodleboot Sun 12-Jul-09 11:07:51

definitely use it. names are very difficult to find that you love hence all the billions of MN threads ha. If you are lucky enough to have found the name you love.....use it....

what is it by the way?

ineedalifelaundry Sun 12-Jul-09 11:10:42

Yes use it!

olivo Sun 12-Jul-09 11:15:01

thank you! i don't see any of them very much but wondered if they would think it was weird IYSWIM!

boodle, can't tell, i'll be outed grin! it's nothing unusual though!

jellybeans Sun 12-Jul-09 11:39:57

Use it. I would unless close friend.

BottySpottom Sun 12-Jul-09 11:46:16

We didn't ... and then they moved house hundreds of miles away!

Scotia Sun 12-Jul-09 11:47:01

A friend of mine did. There was only a couple of years between our dds, but it was fine. I was just chuffed she liked our dds name so much she wanted to use it too.

DiamondHead Sun 12-Jul-09 11:59:27

I would, especially if it's not particularly unusual.

Firawla Sun 12-Jul-09 12:06:45

In that case as the child is older I think its okay
Personally I try not to because I want the names to be rare, but most of my friends dcs are also babies or quite young so the ages seem a bit close to have same name, especially if rare ones it would seem a bit like copying?
There is nothing "wrong" with doing it though, they don't own the name

olivo Sun 12-Jul-09 12:15:17

thank you. it is a very everyday name, i teach several, although not little ones!
i was just reminded of a friend/acquaintance of my sister's who phoned up to ask if they would mind if they called their DD the same name.

right, one more thing to tick off my list....smile

Scotia Sun 12-Jul-09 12:34:24

My friend did ask if I wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't have minded even if she hadn't really. Dd's name is quite unusual, but not unique, although she was the only one in our small town with the name at that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now