Talk

Advanced search

Felix?

(38 Posts)
Belgrano Fri 10-Jul-09 20:22:11

Thoughts please? DD is Alice so we are desperately searching for a lovely, but slightly unusual name. We love Oliver and Samuel but there are zillions of them. We've lingered a long time on Arthur but I want another option or two. DS due in 2 weeks.

DH won't have anything that's too 'foreign' - has to be English basically!

So - Felix???? Thoughts please.

Thanks

yogabird Fri 10-Jul-09 20:25:57

cat food grin

RustyBear Fri 10-Jul-09 20:27:32

Felix is Latin.....

ZippysMum Fri 10-Jul-09 20:27:56

I love Felix - but DH veto'd on the cat food grounds.

What about:
Rory
Max
Riley
Eli
Albert / Bertie

Pollyanna Fri 10-Jul-09 20:29:33

love Felix. dh vetoed it on cat grounds. although I managed to get it as ds2s middle name.

ZippysMum Fri 10-Jul-09 20:29:40

Milo?

Sheeta Fri 10-Jul-09 20:29:53

love it

i knew a Felix when I was younger, cheeky as hell but a lovely man.

nigglewiggle Fri 10-Jul-09 20:30:12

I did think CAT

I like Arthur and I like Zippy's suggestion of Albert (what DD's would have been if not DD's).

moosemama Fri 10-Jul-09 20:31:58

Edward? That sounds nice with Alice and is a traditional English name.

Scorpette Fri 10-Jul-09 22:26:35

I LOVE Felix - one of my faves. Alice and Felix sound nice

sonniboo Fri 10-Jul-09 22:48:29

Felix is Latin, not English.

I prefer Alice and Arthur!

Belgrano Sat 11-Jul-09 10:56:58

Thanks everyone. Latin is fine, I meant that he won't countenance anything like Luca or Xavier - you know, obviously 'foreign' names. he's just a bit pro-your-own-heritage when it comes to naming, rather than going to other (modern) countries for inspiration...Latin is fine. I even managed to get Aurelia on the shortlist for DD!

Great feedback though, thanks. Keep on coming!

loobylu3 Sat 11-Jul-09 11:11:43

I also like Felix but my DH says it's a cat's name too

Also like Arthur, Albert, Milo.

I have to suggest Nicholas too as I have sibs with these names (Alice and Nicholas).

amidaiwish Sat 11-Jul-09 11:20:24

i have two very cool friends with children called Felix. personally for me it is a cat's name.

what about Isaac (Zak?). Like Milo too. and Aurelia gorgeous (obv not for boy!)

mopsyflopsy Sat 11-Jul-09 11:26:57

Not keen on Felix - the cat food connection is just too strong for me too...

What about Henry, Quentin, William - all classic English names that go well with Alice imo.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 11-Jul-09 11:33:29

I love Felix - one of my bf's has a ds called Felix and he is a gorgeous little man. Funnily enough her other dc are Alice and Oliver!! grin

Felix means "lucky". I would've used it for dd if she'd been a boy.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 11-Jul-09 11:34:20

Quentin? You're having a laugh aren't you? grin

The only downside to Felix is that it tends to get shortened to "Fifi", which isn't great for a boy! V cute though.

mrswoolf Sat 11-Jul-09 11:39:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Belgrano Sat 11-Jul-09 11:41:04

Fifi? Surely not. That's awful. Rethinking now!!

mopsyflopsy Sat 11-Jul-09 12:06:43

No, I'm not having a laugh. My 7 year old nephew is called Quentin and I love it.

I also like Alice very much and think they go well together. Both classic, old English names.

Why would I be having a laugh shock?

hulabula Sat 11-Jul-09 12:27:13

I quite like Felix but dh vetoed it... wouldn't be keen on Fifi as a shortening - that does sound like a dog/cat grin.

I also know a cute 2 year old Quentin, think its definately becoming more popular round here.

campion Sat 11-Jul-09 13:29:19

I know a lovely Felix and it really suits him. He's 17 now and has never had problems with it - and he ain't called Fifi either hmm

Go for it.

campion Sat 11-Jul-09 13:30:55

BTW Samuel is a totally delightful name wink

tstar Sat 11-Jul-09 13:45:34

My partner really liked Felix but we did'nt go with it, I think it goes lovely with Alice!
'Try not to put too much pressure on yourself you will figure it out. They are all lovely names. He will be who, he will be no matter what his name is.
Samuel and Alice
Felix and Alice
Oliver and Alice
They are all very sweet.
Good luck.

moosemama Sat 11-Jul-09 19:19:57

Actually my FIL's middle name is Felix and we did consider it for ds1, but went with names from my side of the family instead.

Since then PILs have rescued a cat called Felix, he is a beautiful cat, but I am glad my ds doesn't have the same name as him. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now