Talk

Advanced search

Do you think it matters if a name makes everyone think of a particular film immediately?

(32 Posts)
allaboutme Thu 09-Jul-09 14:41:22

A man turned up at toddler group the other day and introduced his DD as 'Arwen' and the immediate response was 'like in Lord of the Rings?'
I thought 'god he must find that annoying' but on second thoughts maybe he likes it as he obviously must have named her with the lord of the rings in mind...

Also saw a guy in the street with long black leather jacket on calling after a little girl 'Trinity... come back here'...

What do we think?

flier Thu 09-Jul-09 14:48:55

depends on the film I suppose. Its why I didn't choose to name my son Damien grin.
I saw the name Arwen in a baby name book and liked it but didn't choose it because I didn't want people to think I'd chosen it because of Lord of the Rings. I also liked Neo but dh wouldn't let me use it grin

JFly Thu 09-Jul-09 14:48:55

I didn't say it, but thought the exact same thing when I met a "Bilbo" in playgroup. I kid you not. I don't find the association with a film an issue, just the name. smile

mrswoolf Thu 09-Jul-09 15:45:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuppyMonkey Thu 09-Jul-09 15:46:51

Amelie is quite popular now and that's a film...

Fimbo Thu 09-Jul-09 15:47:49

Only if it was something like Nemo.

weegiemum Thu 09-Jul-09 15:49:26

I know a baby Aragon hmm

But Bilbo shock

madwomanintheattic Thu 09-Jul-09 15:51:53

oh, i thought you were going to say scarlet/t.
bilbo would have me gawp tbh.

dizzydixies Thu 09-Jul-09 21:47:16

DD1 was very nearly Arwyn but we chose her name as she looked more liker her other name - didn't worry me in the slightest

thisisyesterday Thu 09-Jul-09 21:50:45

i wouldn't have thought of either film for either of those names I have to admit!

but i am prob in a minority

littlelamb Thu 09-Jul-09 21:51:39

As long as it's not Forrest I think it's fine grin

southeastastra Thu 09-Jul-09 21:54:14

never seen lotr so would have just thought it was from the archers or something

BikeRunSki Thu 09-Jul-09 22:47:50

I was named after a well known literary character, and my whole childhood was "oooh, like ********". Coupled with my married surname, it is quite (in)famous and I get "oooh, like mad-goth-rocker-pro-celebrity-golfer". Yes, I've heard it before. Probably esrlier on that day.

janeite Thu 09-Jul-09 22:52:56

BILBO? I used to have a hamster called Bilbo!

DD1 was nearly Tess or Miranda (both books not films but both pretty obvious connections) which was fine by us. In the end they didn't go with dp's surname so we ditched them.

tracedw Fri 10-Jul-09 00:27:48

DS3 is named Conan,not after the barbarian but a 12th century Irish saint.grin
My dh is irish and all 3 ds have gaelic names,only one we could agree on.
Plus i had been through so much to get pregnant again(4 misc,anti-phospholipid antibodies,45yrs old) we said he would need to be a real fighter, hence the name Conan.

MamaLazarou Fri 10-Jul-09 08:24:26

Yes, I do think it matters. Every time I hear the name Amelie I am reminded of that awful film. I'm sure Amelies are lovely, but their name just make me think of that simpering tit with the spoon.

(Poor Bilbo)

shoshe Fri 10-Jul-09 12:58:10

Now I like unusual names, and called my three unusual names,

But I do think 'Forrest' is a name that will always be associated with the film.

DS and DDIL were talking about names the other day (they are not PG and are not likely to be for a couple of years)

They liked Isabella and .............. Forrest!

I did keep my mouth shut, and if they do stick to it, I am sure I will love it, grin

mollyroger Fri 10-Jul-09 13:00:58

Bilbo might be William Robert, with Bilbo as a nickname...?

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Jul-09 13:41:37

we call dd2 forrest as a nickname <waits for social services>

anniemac Fri 10-Jul-09 13:48:00

Message withdrawn

anniemac Fri 10-Jul-09 13:52:19

Message withdrawn

jumpingbeans Fri 10-Jul-09 13:57:33

shoshe, no don't keep quiet, you owe it to that child < when it gets here> no,no,no to forrest it's cruel.

MadreInglese Fri 10-Jul-09 14:02:38

Bilbo?? Hope the poor kid doesn't mix up his bs and ds!

MadreInglese Fri 10-Jul-09 14:04:00

Hannibal also maybe not such a good idea

mollyroger Fri 10-Jul-09 14:18:03

LMAO madre....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now