Talk

Advanced search

Yesterday I met a little girl called .....

(15 Posts)
BikeRunSki Thu 09-Jul-09 14:15:15

Polaris

hmm

She was about 4.

It struck me as an odd name for a person, especially a girl, but maybe I am getting too conventional in my old age, with my Old Testament names, VW and Boden top.

mrsradders Thu 09-Jul-09 14:19:43

is polaris a holiday company/resort kind of rings a bell!!! hmm

SoupDragon Thu 09-Jul-09 14:20:06

I think it's a missile.

SoupDragon Thu 09-Jul-09 14:21:01

Perhaps her mother was a Gina Ford fan.

DebiTheScot Thu 09-Jul-09 14:21:20

never come across that one before and I've seen a lot of odd names (I'm a teacher)

You used to be on our due last Sept thread didn't you? How's your Sept baby doing? (sorry hijack)

Bonneville Thu 09-Jul-09 14:37:02

Is it a submarine? I think its also the name of a chain of gyms.

weegiemum Thu 09-Jul-09 14:38:11

Polaris was the missile defence system prior to Trident.

What a nice name for a girl <sarcastic emoticon>

pinkmagic1 Thu 09-Jul-09 14:39:18

I think its a holiday company.

Bonneville Thu 09-Jul-09 14:41:18

Whatever it is its really awful. Poor poor girl.

kathyis6incheshigh Thu 09-Jul-09 14:42:55

It's a star - so not entirely weird as a thing to choose - but you would have thought the missile associations would put the parents off grin

weegiemum Thu 09-Jul-09 14:43:11

From Wiki:

The Polaris missile was a two-stage solid-fuel nuclear-armed Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) built during the Cold War by Lockheed for the United States Navy. It was designed to be used as part of the US Navy's contribution to the United States' arsenal of nuclear weapons, replacing the Regulus cruise missile.

Its also a star, a holiday company and a type of car!

gagamama Thu 09-Jul-09 15:00:43

It just made me think of the Zero 7 track, which is quite pleasant.

Brand and missile associations aside, it's not that bad.

mrswoolf Thu 09-Jul-09 15:06:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BikeRunSki Thu 09-Jul-09 22:08:00

As a teenager of the 80s, I made the nuclear missile connection. Its also another name for the North Star (or Pole Star).

Hi DebiTheScot - Sept baby was a boy, 10 days early. Undiagnosed breech - footling as well - em CS. He currently thinks he can walk, but can't, so permanently has scab on nose and bump on forehead. But he is a bonny lad, tall like his dad, blonde like me, and I love being at home with him. Back to work in Sept though.

Pyrocanthus Thu 09-Jul-09 22:19:32

It's quite a powerful name for a girl though isn't it? I wouldn't mess with her. The ultimate deterrent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now