Advanced search

Boys names shortlist..

(38 Posts)
Mammina Sat 04-Jul-09 11:15:20

Osian (NN Osh, Oshy)
Mostyn (NN Moss)
Gruffydd (NN Griff)
Cerion

(and before you ask, yes we are welsh, well, I am anyway, but live in London)

possible middle names are

Lewis
Lefi (pron Levvy)
Iolo (yollo)

Pingpong Sat 04-Jul-09 12:52:47

I like Osian Lewis best

coffeecups Sat 04-Jul-09 14:24:49

I've been toying with Griff recently, but this week I'm mostly liking Scottish names

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 04-Jul-09 14:30:16

Which one do you think would get pronounced correctly most often? That has to be a big consideration.

Mammina Sat 04-Jul-09 14:46:12

I would think any of Osian, Mostyn & Griff would be fairly easy to say. Not so much Cerion but I'm not 100% convinced on that one anyway so think I will narrow it down to those 3

jellybeans Sat 04-Jul-09 14:46:48

Osian is nice.

TwoHot Sat 04-Jul-09 14:55:53

Gruffydd Iolo sounds nice

Mammina Sat 04-Jul-09 23:17:50

bump, anyone else?

Dysgu Sat 04-Jul-09 23:39:42

How are you pronouncing Osian?

Is your surname Welsh?

Gruffydd gets my vote.

I also am a fan of Ieuan but have two DDs.

Mammina Sun 05-Jul-09 07:43:49

pronounced Oshan
no, scottish surname

Kaylo Sun 05-Jul-09 11:10:15

You have picked such lovely names - I really like Osian

and middle name I really like Lewis and Lefi, I like Iolo as well but it doesn't seem to 'ring' with Osian.

Ultimately it's up to you - with any of these names your baby will be very well named

moondog Sun 05-Jul-09 11:12:21

Everyone is called Osian these days (and I am Welsh.)
Gruffydd is nice but ubiquitous also.
Mostyn and Cerion are pretty cool.
Dewis da.

rowingboat Sun 05-Jul-09 11:15:00

I like Osian Lefi.
How do you pronounce Cerion?
I also like Ianto - not sure of the spelling, but the one from 'Torchwood'.

MrsMattie Sun 05-Jul-09 11:20:02

Never heard of any of them before.

I like Osian, although prefer the Irish Oisin.

I know a Welsh couple with a son who's name sounds like 'An-eye-ron' - don't know how they spell it. Always thoguht it was lovely.

Mammina Sun 05-Jul-09 11:40:23

Shucks thanks kaylo! Agree that Iolo doesn't go with Osian

Cerion is kerryon

Moondog dwi'n gwybod, that's what puts me off Osian, however it's obviously not common in London which is why I'm tempted to have it. I really like Mostyn but am worried it' a bit silly and a bit of a pet's name?

I love Ianto but a friend has recently used it.
Mrs Mattie you're probably thinking of Aneurin, which is nice but hard for non welsh to pronounce maybe, plus DH has vetoed anyway

suwoo Sun 05-Jul-09 12:00:55

I am a welsh speaker and think Osian would need to be 'explained' a lot. I am not generally a fan of welsh names, but I do really like Osian.

My least favourite is Mostyn, because there are strong links to that name where I come from and there are pubs and streets are called that.

Mammina Sun 05-Jul-09 12:12:30

are you from llandudno way by any chance suwoo?!
oh god it's so hard and such a big decision, I just don't know

rowingboat Sun 05-Jul-09 12:13:01

Thanks Migola, I think Cerion is nice, but prefer Ossian. It has a nice artistic background as well.
I actually really like your middle name options as well, Iolo is gorgeous and Leffi and would make lovely first names too.

Kaylo Sun 05-Jul-09 12:19:45

You have picked such lovely names - I really like Osian

and middle name I really like Lewis and Lefi, I like Iolo as well but it doesn't seem to 'ring' with Osian.

Ultimately it's up to you - with any of these names your baby will be very well named

suwoo Sun 05-Jul-09 12:30:57

How very astute Migola grin. Actually Colwyn Bay, but spent most of my teenage years hanging around in Llandudno. Moved away as soon as I could though wink.

Are you from that area too?

moondog Sun 05-Jul-09 15:00:58

I've got an Aneirin.
Not hard for people to pronounce I find and I am out of Wales a lot.
If they do mispronounce it, I just put them right.

cioccolato Sun 05-Jul-09 16:42:41

Osian Lewis gets my vote =D

Mammina Sun 05-Jul-09 23:21:35

For some unknown reason I was a bit worried that Mostyn maybe reminded me of a name you'd give a pet, then realised earlier that my friend used to have a cat called Mostyn.... hmm

Dysgu Sun 05-Jul-09 23:34:57

Mostyn makes me think of the market!

Cynfelin?

I think Osian would need 'explaining' too - but don't let that put you off using it as lots of names probably need explaining in London.

suwoo Mon 06-Jul-09 09:09:03

Ha, Mostyn market- thats a blast from the past! We used to go there when I was a teenager, I got a lot of chavvy clothes from there.

Where do you live Dysgu?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now