Talk

Advanced search

Friend is considering changing her ds's name, do you think it's strange?

(13 Posts)
bigboydiditandranaway Wed 01-Jul-09 11:19:37

My friend's little boy is called Finn, he's 11 mths and she's considering changing his name to possibly Joe.

What do you think about it?

sweetnitanitro Wed 01-Jul-09 11:21:23

It is a bit strange, why the sudden change of heart? Has a relative died and she wants to rename her ds after him?

sonniebonnie Wed 01-Jul-09 11:22:26

It depends entirely on her reasoning for considering it. Do you know?

SarahL2 Wed 01-Jul-09 11:24:50

Finn's much nicer than Joe IMO

bigboydiditandranaway Wed 01-Jul-09 11:27:35

I think she's worried he's going to get fish as a nickname possibly but i think they choose Finn because it was the only boy name they really liked. Her mother thought Joe was a nice name and although they both did too, my friend in particular wanted a name that was choosen by them.

belgo Wed 01-Jul-09 11:29:11

Agree, it depends on the reasoning. I don't think it's odd. Finn and Joe are both nice names.

TrillianAstrahasaJOB Wed 01-Jul-09 11:32:32

So she chose Finn rather than Joe (even though she liked Joe too) because she didn't want to go with a name her mother had suggested? I think that is a bit strange.

Overmydeadbody Wed 01-Jul-09 11:34:50

If she doesn't like her DS's name and thinks he just isn't a 'Finn' and that Joe suits him more, then it isn't strange really.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Wed 01-Jul-09 11:36:52

I like the name Finn and until reading your post would never have thought 'fish' when hearing it.

VAB Wed 01-Jul-09 11:38:40

Unless 'mother' is pushing for Joe?!

My MIL calls my unborn baby Jacob - not even knowing it's a boy and it's certainly not going to be called Jacob now!! angry

PeppermintPatty Wed 01-Jul-09 11:45:42

I don't think it's that strange.

It's a big decision and your friend will have a good reason for it (which she may not have told you) and will have put a lot of thought into it too. I'm sure she isn't just doing it on a whim.

You can to change your babies name quite easily in the first year (from a legal point of view), afterwards you have to do it by deed poll I think.

Also is best to do it before the baby gets to attached to his name. So if she wants to do it nows the time

MamaLazarou Wed 01-Jul-09 11:49:56

Yes, I do think it's strange.

Lori73 Wed 01-Jul-09 15:13:02

no, don't think it is strange. two other mothers have posted in the last couple of days about wanting to do the same thing, I guess it must torment the mother if she feels she has given her child the 'wrong' name, so best to just do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now