Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Frida for a girl?

(28 Posts)
Mammina Wed 01-Jul-09 09:20:38

and would the spelling Ffrida look silly? (need to welshify it..)

Bucharest Wed 01-Jul-09 09:21:53

I think it's still a bit Doris IYSWIM?
It sounds like a Hilda Ogden kind of name.
Even abba-ing it up and spelling it with an "I" doesn't really help.
Sorry...

hobbgoblin Wed 01-Jul-09 09:23:53

I like, wouldn't use but like.

How come not Frieda though?

Mammina Wed 01-Jul-09 09:26:09

because of the welsh thing.. Frieda would be pronounced Vreeayda in welsh (I know.... smile)

SmilingEi Wed 01-Jul-09 09:31:29

nope...i have an old lady name and know the pain wellsmile

no frida/ffrida please its not a name the child could shorten nicely if she hates dislikes the name (unless you dont mind her being called ffreddiewink)

why not Ffion or another nice welsh name??smile
xx ei xx

Mammina Wed 01-Jul-09 09:37:59

Hello Ei, how are you? (I'm assuming there's only one Ei and you're the one from the strictly board?)

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Wed 01-Jul-09 09:39:58

I like it but only spelled Frieda. Frida looks a bit, well, Norse.

Was going to suggest Ffion as well but, not being Welsh I don't know if every Welsh child under the age of 15 is called Ffion. It's nice though.

Mammina Wed 01-Jul-09 09:41:22

Ffion is very common and a bit boring in welsh (although if you disassociate it it's quite a nice sounding name)

goomum Wed 01-Jul-09 10:56:16

Yes looks silly unless it is a genuine Welsh spelling? The name looks cold... f f...reezing!

Mammina Wed 01-Jul-09 10:58:15

I think I agree with you goomum, it does look a bit silly with FF (and no, it's not a genuine welsh spelling)

back to the drawing board

SmilingEi Wed 01-Jul-09 11:09:14

hey migola it is indeed mesmile the one and only eigrin
lovely that you are now discussing names when a few short months ago we were stressing over TTCgrin im still on that train likehmm
xx ei xx

chaya5738 Wed 01-Jul-09 11:14:31

We are due in a week and if baby is a girl we are going to give her the middle name Frida. It was my grandmother's. But I can't figure out how to spell it either and posted last week about it. Frida? Frieda? Freida?

I think it is pretty and especially love it because it because of Frida Kahlo.

Mammina Wed 01-Jul-09 11:22:36

Eiiiiii! Yes it's hard to believe isn't it - only 3 weeks to go now!
I was hoping that maybe you had some good news because you were lurking here. Fingers crossed for you in the near future xx

Chaya I think if your grandmother spelt it Frida I would probably do it the same.

chaya5738 Wed 01-Jul-09 11:39:16

My grandmother spelt it "Freda" but I don't like that spelling as it looks too much like "Fred." It was anglicised when she moved here from Eastern Europe so we have no idea how it was spelt originally...

bleh Wed 01-Jul-09 11:40:50

Surely Frieda will remind people of hair products?

I like Frida, BTW.

frisbyrat Wed 01-Jul-09 11:51:36

Frida is supercool.
<has Norse name herself>

annasmami Wed 01-Jul-09 12:55:10

Frieda conjures up 60+ aged German women - thats because those are the only Friedas I know. Definately not 'cool' imo and not 'old' enough to be due for a 'retro' comeback imo.

Mammina Wed 01-Jul-09 13:31:54

hmm mixed reviews then. Chaya I agree that Freda is too Fred-like.
Bet it will make a comeback in a couple of years... grin

didn't think of the John Frieda connection bleh, but now that you mention it..

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 01-Jul-09 13:41:32

Frida is OK. Ffrida looks a bit silly, imo. Sorry.blush

I have a niece called Ffion, and she is often called F-f-f-f-f-f-f-fion by other children at school (she doesn't live in Wales), and gets fed up with it.

MaggieBeeBeau Wed 01-Jul-09 13:48:47

LOVE it. It has more strength than Freya, it's not so pretty, pretty, but it's quirkier and cooler.

LOVE it.

MaggieBeeBeau Wed 01-Jul-09 13:50:21

I'd spell it Frida

choccyp1g Wed 01-Jul-09 13:53:37

THink it's an "old lady" name, because I've got an Auntie Freda, (aged about 80) but actually her real name is Elfreda which is lovely. Would still need two ffs to look Welsh though..?

choccyp1g Wed 01-Jul-09 13:54:14

Or to sound right in Welsh.

MaggieBeeBeau Wed 01-Jul-09 13:56:12

I love Zelda too. I know nothing about computer games though, I've been told Zelda is a no no. But I don't see why it has to be.

Mammina Wed 01-Jul-09 14:19:06

that's worth knowing about ffffffffffion MaybeAB*
*choccy
I've never heard of Elfreda before but think it's lovely. Elffreda would look silly though. Maybe I'll have a Frida and a welsh middle name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now