Talk

Advanced search

Noah or a Dutch name?

(15 Posts)
osaraf Tue 30-Jun-09 15:18:37

We both like Noah but my Fiancee is Dutch and we can't think of any Dutch names we both like, and that I can pronounce! Any suggestions?

titchy Tue 30-Jun-09 15:25:19

Jan? Is there an equivalent of Luca or Luke? Pieter? The Dutch equivalent of matthew?

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Jun-09 15:27:01

I like the name Schuyler (pronounced Sky-lar), I had a Dutch friend at school called that, shortened to Sky. It's a lovely name imo.

bellissima Tue 30-Jun-09 16:28:40

Jacob, Jerome, Joachim,

Mathius (and variations thereof)

Luka

Emil (love Emil)

belgo Tue 30-Jun-09 16:32:25

Kobe
Robbe

belgo Tue 30-Jun-09 16:34:35

Jonas

Scorpette Tue 30-Jun-09 19:21:59

My brother lives in Holland and has a (Dutch) friend called Noah, so I think that would work fine. The stress is on the second syllable (No-AH), not the first like in English (NO-ah). All the rest of his Dutch friends have English names - Jonathan, Michael, Richard, etc. I like Cornelius, which is more common over there, but I realise it might be a bit too 'out there' for some. Rudy is a very popular Dutch name, but not so common over here. Matthijs (Ma-TICE) is nice and could be shortened to Matt or Matty and I agree with GOML that Schuyler is a lovely name - it's on my longlist if I was to have a DS. Why not go for Noah and have a more obviously Dutch name as a MN?

ScaredOfEverything Tue 30-Jun-09 21:45:28

Luk, Bram, Bo, Leo

All good dutch names

ThingOne Tue 30-Jun-09 22:43:38

Herman, Wim?

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Tue 30-Jun-09 22:46:32

Dirk, Bart, Hans, Nikolas,Henk
Do a google search for Dutch names. There are heaps out there

clemette Tue 30-Jun-09 22:58:59

I like Daniel (same name in Dutch and English; three of my Dutch cousins are called this, as is my English born brother).

Or Lukas.

belgo Wed 01-Jul-09 08:19:16

Andries Dries for short is lovely.

osaraf Wed 01-Jul-09 10:06:32

Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions! Some good ones there. My Fiance's middle name is Cornelius. I still really like Noah so maybe a Dutch middle name is a good compromise. I live in France so you have to have a name ready at the time of birth, can't wait a while to see what suits!

VAB Wed 01-Jul-09 10:33:33

My family consists of:

Pieter
Henk
Wim (Willem)
Lex
Jan
Bastian
Pim

skihorse Wed 01-Jul-09 18:31:36

Lads in my office:
Henk
Daniel
Ronald
Roland
Frits
Eric
Ron
Arjan
Wiel
Marc
Hans
Terence
Marco
Ar thur
Frank
Gertjan
Dick
Andre
Peter
Nick

Nothing too weird there. wink

Names they've called their kids:

Joas
Johan
Sil
Jaden
Kevin

So quite a change there in generation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now