Talk

Advanced search

How would you spell Frida, Frieda, Freida?

(12 Posts)
chaya5738 Fri 26-Jun-09 16:52:29

If our baby is a girl, we are going to give her this middle name. It was my beloved grandmother's so PLEASE try not to criticise it. We'd just love some help with the spelling.

(the reason we aren't giving her my grandmother's spelling is that it was spelt Freda and I don't like that spelling as it looks too much like "Fred").

I am leaning towards Frida because of the wonderful artist. But then Frieda is nice because of the Ted Hughes poem.

Let me know what you think. Thanks

Firawla Fri 26-Jun-09 16:55:29

Frieda I think
Frida looks a bit like Friday without a y?

Doctorskidaddle Fri 26-Jun-09 16:56:36

I would go for Frida because of Kahlo as well - lovely name btw smile

steamedtreaclesponge Fri 26-Jun-09 17:01:33

Frieda, definitely

Frida looks like it should be pronounced like Frid-ah (as in fridge) rather than Freeda which is presumably what you'd be after

Bonneville Fri 26-Jun-09 17:21:31

But Freda is the correct spelling. I agree with Steamed that Frida sounds/looks like Fridge. And Frieda is like Fried-ah as in fried egg.

chaya5738 Fri 26-Jun-09 17:27:59

Thanks everyone. It seems there are problems with all spellings but most people think Frieda.

Bonneville, how is Freda the correct spelling? I am confused. My grandmother's name actually got anglicised when her family immigrated from Eastern Europe so I am not there is any one correct spelling.

sweetfall Fri 26-Jun-09 17:38:32

Frieda would be pronounced Fried-ah though (oh I see someone has said that and I totally concurr)

Freida is OK I suppose but I would have gone for the traditional Freda

I think Frida does not look nice for some reason but I don't know why

chaya5738 Fri 26-Jun-09 17:43:22

Would Frieda REALLY be pronounced Fried-ah? While I can see why it could be pronounced that what by someone who had never heard or seen the name would people honestly make that mistake?

Thanks everyone for the advice. You are pointing out things that hadn't even occurred to me!

noddyholder Fri 26-Jun-09 17:45:01

frida 'looks' the prettiest written somehow.Also the kahlo connection would swing it for me its a lovely name

mrsruffallo Fri 26-Jun-09 17:46:06

I like Frida

SpawnChorus Fri 26-Jun-09 17:48:34

Definitely Frieda.

Actually, Freida would be pronounced Fried-ah

chaya5738 Fri 26-Jun-09 17:50:25

Thanks everyone : )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now