Talk

Advanced search

Axel for a boy Bo for a girl opinions please?

(73 Posts)
SuziDee Fri 26-Jun-09 13:55:30

Am a long way off having baby number 2 (27 weeks and counting) but already have the name obsession. I love lurking on here and looking at the suggestions and heated debates. I like unusual but real names, so far the only names DH and I agree on are

Axel Anthony for a DS

Bo Melody for a DD

What do you think? Any other unusual real suggestions?

hunkermunker Fri 26-Jun-09 13:56:30

Spell "Bo" out loud.

SuziDee Fri 26-Jun-09 13:56:33

oooh forgot to say already have a Casper Timothy.

Tortington Fri 26-Jun-09 13:57:13

pregnant women should be baned by law from choosing names.

Fimbo Fri 26-Jun-09 13:57:17

The local village troublemaker is called Axel so I can't see beyond that I am afraid.

Neither names are really to my taste though, but it is your baby and what anyone else thinks doesn't matter.

SuziDee Fri 26-Jun-09 13:57:32

I know could do Bow or Beau instead, Ulrika Johnson has a Bo don't know if that makes it better or worse.....

SuziDee Fri 26-Jun-09 13:58:35

Ha Ha I see they are unpopular... blame my DH he also wanted Conan, Flash or Ferris

LaDiDaDi Fri 26-Jun-09 13:59:06

Not at all keen on Bo Melody.

Axel Anthony ok, goes with your ds's name.

Fimbo Fri 26-Jun-09 13:59:07

Please please please not Bow. Beau is the masculine version.

Just pick Jane.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Fri 26-Jun-09 13:59:15

Message withdrawn

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Fri 26-Jun-09 13:59:58

Message withdrawn

listenglisten Fri 26-Jun-09 14:00:08

I thought Bo Melody was a really pretty name - that is until I read HunkerMunker's post! Ruined it for me I'm afraid.

Axel not really to my taste although I too like more unusual names.

SuziDee Fri 26-Jun-09 14:01:38

I love Belle but can't as it rhymes with my surname, at least I am providing some entertainment and now know I can tell DH to sod off.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Fri 26-Jun-09 14:04:45

Message withdrawn

monkeyfacegrace Fri 26-Jun-09 14:04:54

Can I be really honest?
Whats with trying too hard with baby names? Bo is quite rediculous (sp), and Axel (though I do rather like it), is totally chavvy.
What the hell happened to traditional names, like Sarah and James!!!
(My two are called Grace and Robert btw-nothing tooooo offensive wink)
Please dont do it to the poor child!

monkeyfacegrace Fri 26-Jun-09 14:06:08

Of forgot to add, Flash is a bathroom cleaner, ferris is a fairground ride, and Conan is just no. No.

PuppyMonkey Fri 26-Jun-09 14:09:37

I take it your DH is a fan of old 80s movies? grin If so, it's godda be Ferris really hasn't it?

SuziDee Fri 26-Jun-09 14:10:45

How is Axel chavvy?

LOVE Aria I might have to suggest that one later.

I actually like the name Bo which is a real name, I am not suggesting Merlot or Chardonnay or Navaeh or whatever it is, I just love unusual names. I am not going to ruin my childs life by giving them a different name.

I like traditional names too I just have to find the middle ground with DH

Annabelsmummie Fri 26-Jun-09 14:11:30

Axel is nice - was quite popular in Germany when I was growing up.

Bo reminds me of Bo Derek.

SuziDee Fri 26-Jun-09 14:11:56

Sorry and missed yes he loved the eighties, I wasn't taking the other suggestions seriously

VAB Fri 26-Jun-09 14:12:51

My cousin is called Bo (Dutch) so it doesn't have the same connotations as here in England. I think it's pretty but B.O. is just too cruel for a child to have to live with I think...

Axel just reminds me of Guns n Roses - it's not for me I'm afraid. But if you love them then who cares what others think?! Just try and be considerate for the child in school!!

Fimbo Fri 26-Jun-09 14:13:29

I think chavvy is a horrible term but I know what MFG means. The Axel in my village is more likely to spend his life dossing about than doing something worthwhile. Giving your dc those kind of names isn't the best start to life.

monkeyfacegrace Fri 26-Jun-09 14:14:42

Its like Tyler and Shane, you could only be called those names round our area if you have a shaved head and a staffie! Did say I quite liked it though, just not good for image I guess...

SuziDee Fri 26-Jun-09 14:16:18

No offence intended I've just never met an Axel.

honeydew Fri 26-Jun-09 14:17:18

Don't like Axel at all. Sorry to appear rude but I think it's a dreadful name! He will always get ridiculed at school and adults of over 30 will always think of Guns and Roses and Axel F. The simple word association with 'axe' would put me off calling my child that.

I do like some unusual names but I would be cautious of labelling you child. Children can be very cruel.

I can think of many cases of children who hate their odd names like Peaches Geldof and Zowie Bowie. He actually changed his name by deed poll to Ian.

Melody is really nice though- what about that as a first name? Unusual but not stupid or strange although it might get shortened to Mel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now