Talk

Advanced search

HELP!! Can't agree on names!

(25 Posts)
Ladyem Thu 25-Jun-09 22:54:02

Hi! I'm 30 weeks with our second baby and we cannot agree on names!! Need your help!

Don't know if it's a boy or girl, so I have a couple for each. Our DD is Catherine Elizabeth (shortened to Katie), so needs to go with this!

Harriet Anne (favourite girl's name so far!)
Lydia Anne
Madeleine Anne

George Anthony (favourite boy's name!)
Joseph Anthony
Felix Anthony (Hubby likes this, not so sure myself!)

Any feedback gratefully received!!
Thanks

zeke Thu 25-Jun-09 23:13:27

I like the favourites you have picked!

Felix - sorry, will always be a cartoon cat to me. I know two Felix children and both are little ***, so that has clouded my judgement, too.

In fact the order you have them in is the order I would put them in, too!

PommePoire Thu 25-Jun-09 23:21:09

Your girls' names are all lovely but am very biased as you have both my DDs names first names! Harriet has become increasingly popular in the last three years and and DD2 has several Hatties amongst her acquaintance. Madeleine has been deservedly popular for longer, it is a lovely name but personally, I'm not so keen on the diminutives, Mads, Maddie, Maddy. Lydia gets shortened to Lyddie and is the least commonly chosed of your three suggestions. Lydia and Harriet are both real Jane Austen names, although neither character is very admirable!

Your boys' names are all good too. Felix and George are harder to shorten, than Joseph, do you like Joe? Felix does, unfortunately, conjure up a cat food, but that might just be to cat owners? Maybe pick the one that goes best with your surname, which I'm assuming, starts with a vowel?

All your choices would go well with Catherine.

LaDiDaDi Thu 25-Jun-09 23:24:31

I like all of your choices of first names for girls.

As combos I like Harriet Anne most, for Madeleine Anne and Lydia Anne the first and middle names seem to run in to each other a bit imo.

I like George and Felix, less keen on Joseph just because I don't really like Joe. All three go well with Anthony.

Horton Fri 26-Jun-09 00:04:46

Harriet is a FAB name. I like Joseph best out of your boy choices.

Ladyem Fri 26-Jun-09 08:45:42

Hi Ladies!
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I agree with the points that Felix conjures up images of the cat and also cat food!!! Think my DH would let that one go in favour of one of the others!!

Think I'm leaning towards Harriet or George even more now!! Like the fact that you can't really shorten George (except may be to Georgie) and DH LOVES Hattie (also, think it goes nicely with Katie, although - and may be I'm thinking too hard about this- if when Katie grows up wants to be known as Cat, then we'd have a Cat and a Hats!!! Lol!!! grin). Is so difficult!! When I went into hospital to have DD I had a list of 12 names and we knew she was going to be a girl!!! I think it's because I grew up hating my name, so don't want my child to hate theirs!!

Ladidadi - hadn't thought about the middle names running on from the first names, but think you are right! Need to think of a back-up middle name in case the baby comes out looking like a Madeleine or Lydia!!

Thanks again, Ladies!!

Bucharest Fri 26-Jun-09 08:48:54

Oh, I hope you have a girl! They are all lovely names (and your dd's name is my favourite ever girl's name)

In order:
Harriet
Madeleine
Lydia

Of the boy choices I prefer Joseph.

Ladyem Fri 26-Jun-09 08:57:25

Thanks Bucharest!! I wish I knew what I was having!! This 'surprise' business is hard!!! grin Lol! I thought I would have some 'feeling' as to what I am having, but I have absolutely no idea!! I am completely 50/50!!!

WinkyWinkola Fri 26-Jun-09 09:09:37

Harriet - it's lovely.

Joseph - great name.

Ondine Fri 26-Jun-09 10:18:36

I like all your girl choices. With Madeleine Anne being my favourite. It has a musicality when you say it out loud. It flows really well.

From the boys list I like Felix then George. Both a good mix of traditional but with some cred. Joseph imo is a really wet name and boring too.

MarshaBrady Fri 26-Jun-09 10:22:09

Harriet and

George or Joseph - all lovely.

jellybeans Fri 26-Jun-09 13:03:09

Harriet Anne...not that keen on Harriet as may get Harry for short? (I know one who does) Not that keen on Hetty.
Lydia Anne...OK
Madeleine Anne ....I like this best as like Maddie for short, my fave.

George Anthony ..not keen
Joseph Anthony,,,LOVE this one, lots of nn choices, Joe, Joey, seph.
Felix Anthony...don't like

My faves are Joseph Anthony and Madeleine Anne.

Ladyem Sat 27-Jun-09 17:59:36

Thanks Ladies!

Seems like there are about the same in favour of each name, so we can't go far wrong!!

Think I'll just have to take the list in and see what the baby suits when he/she comes out!! grin

pointydog Sat 27-Jun-09 18:04:05

Madeleine and Joseph - numero uno

FairLadyRantALot Sat 27-Jun-09 18:09:41

how about Josephine Anne...Katie and Josie...sounds so lovely together

and if it is a boy Joseph Antony

magbags Sat 27-Jun-09 20:03:19

Harriet and Felix are by far my favourites on your list, think they are both lovely with your dd's name too. Good luck! grin

angrypixie Sat 27-Jun-09 20:21:07

Lydia for me (or Eliza) both go beautifully with Katie too.

Felix or George for a boy.

Using A as a middle initial just check with your surname that it doesn't spell anything hideous..

HAG or FAG for example

nooka Sat 27-Jun-09 20:23:28

I like Harriet and Felix, but they are all nice. I'd wait and see which one fits the baby best when it comes.

Ladyem Sun 28-Jun-09 15:17:01

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestions!

FairLadyRantALot - I love the name Josepine, but is the name of a good friend of mine and so can't have it!! (Otherwise other friends might get upset that didn't choose their name!!!) You know how it is!! Lol!! grin

angrypixie - last name begins with R, so should all be ok!! (Worst would be FAR using Felix, or JAR using Joseph, but not too bad!!) Have to have Anthony as middle name for boy as was DH's dad's middle name. Thanks for reminding me to check that, though!!grin Love the name Eliza too, but DH not so keen!! He's really gunning for Harriet!!

Thanks again, Ladies!!

TwoSunnyDays Sun 28-Jun-09 17:04:02

Harriet Antonia sounds nice.

Have you considered Margaret as another classic? Also Henriette as a middle name?

mrswoolf Sun 28-Jun-09 21:15:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doobydoo Sun 28-Jun-09 21:18:59

Lydia and Felixsmile
But like 'em all./

ScummyMummy Sun 28-Jun-09 21:23:38

Lydia and Joseph

suwoo Sun 28-Jun-09 21:24:28

My 7 year old DD is called Madeleine and my soon to be born DS2 will be Felix. grin

I also have DS1 who is called Noah, but his name doesn't feature on your list.

Ladyem Mon 29-Jun-09 15:10:07

twosunnydays - like the idea of Antonia as a middle name, then brings in DH's Dad either way!!! I hadn't thought of that! grin Had a neighbour called Margaret who wasn't very nice, so I ruled that name out, even though I LOVE Maggie!!!! Lol!!

Suwoo - Love the name Noah, too, but friend is having that if she has a boy!!

Am now leaning towards Lydia!!!! grin Oh is too hard!!!

Thanks again, everyone, for all your suggestions!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now