Talk

Advanced search

Is it okay...?

(21 Posts)
ErikaMaye Wed 24-Jun-09 22:43:58

My cousin has just her her fourth boy (litterally, this morning). She hadn't told me the names she was planning on, and it was only when she text me to see me she'd given birth that she said she'd named him Harvey, which is one of the two my partner and I had FINALLY narrowed it down to if it was a boy! We don't see each other very often - we're 250 miles apart - maybe only three times a year at a maximum. So is it okay to still consider the name?

bigstripeytiger Wed 24-Jun-09 22:45:19

I think its OK.

HuwEdwards Wed 24-Jun-09 22:45:35

yes definitely.

hanaflower Wed 24-Jun-09 22:46:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dizzydixies Wed 24-Jun-09 22:49:31

she doesn't 'own' the name just because she used it first but I'd speak to her about it

do you have a back up incase you change your mind?

my DD2 is a variation of my cousin's DDs name but she is 7yrs older and lives abroad so I was in similar situation and its worked out fine smile

ErikaMaye Wed 24-Jun-09 22:53:40

Phew!

We're thinking either Harvey or Bryn for a boy, Lavinia or Evelyn for a girl. Got my scan in a week and a half, so we should find out then which set to worry about!

dizzydixies Wed 24-Jun-09 22:58:33

you've got a long time for changing minds between now and baby!! we always found it best to have a few names we liked and then see which one suited

good luck

MamaLazarou Thu 25-Jun-09 09:55:10

Yes, use the name if you really love it, but tell your cousin first.

RetroMum1 Thu 25-Jun-09 09:55:39

Absolutely fine you have to use the name you love or else you will regret it forever. Like others said she doesn't own the name. That is why I always like to let people our favourites on the list so they can't turn around and say that I'm only using it because they had!.

For what it's worth though I absolutely love Bryn.

jellibob Thu 25-Jun-09 10:19:33

I was at school with a Lavinia, we called her "Bog"....

seeker Thu 25-Jun-09 10:24:40

Sorry to be contrary - but I don't think it is. They are cousins - they might end up seeing more of each other as they grow up. I would choose something else.

Go for Bryn - it's a much nicer name anyway!

belgo Thu 25-Jun-09 10:27:18

Bryn is lovely. I prefer Harley to Harvey.

shootfromthehip Thu 25-Jun-09 10:29:13

I don't think it's cool to have the same name as your cousin. Sorry but you have time to come up with something else. Bryn is gorgeous btw

SoupDragon Thu 25-Jun-09 10:30:11

I prefer Bryn too

randomname Thu 25-Jun-09 10:39:16

Think how you would feel if you had had your baby first, personally dont see a problem

Fimbo Thu 25-Jun-09 11:15:50

I discovered last year that dh's cousin's daughter has the same name as my dd. I have been married to dh for 13 years and have never met this cousin.

TwoSunnyDays Thu 25-Jun-09 12:34:34

I prefer Bryn, but I also dont think its a problem to have the same name as your cousin etc.

pedalmonster Thu 25-Jun-09 14:03:31

Hmm you could always keep it on yr list and then when baby arrives (assuming it is a boy!) you could ask your cousin if it was ok?

crokky Thu 25-Jun-09 14:07:18

My DD has the same name as my cousin's DD. Both my cousin and her DD like it.

ceebie Thu 25-Jun-09 16:10:18

seeker the babies aren't first cousins - they will be second cousins or something (hazy on relationships after first cousins). I don't think it matters. If the children were first cousins (i.e. children of OP's siblings), that would be very different.

LaDiDaDi Thu 25-Jun-09 21:18:38

I think it's fine but I also prefer Bryn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now