Talk

Advanced search

Avery - Finn or Finlay

(16 Posts)
justSarah Tue 23-Jun-09 20:06:47

Hello,

I'm new to this site, and find it particularly helpful because, although DH and I live in Montreal, Canada, he is from Yorkshire... so it's interesting to get an idea of naming trends across the pond, particularly to get a sense of how his family might react to our choices. We're expecting our first baby at the end of September.

My favourite name for a girl at the moment is Avery. What do you think of it?

We really like Finn or possibly Finlay for a boy. They don't seem to be very popular over here, but from what I can see, quite popular over there.

Any feedback you have to share would be much appreciated!

Sarah

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Jun-09 20:10:36

i lkike avery, although it makes me think of aviary,

love Finn (ds1 was nearly Finn). prefer Finlay spelled the traditional way- Finley

kitsmummy Tue 23-Jun-09 20:11:09

Avery - never heard of that one before but I like it, quite elegant?

Finn, Finlay - you're right, v popular here but nice enough

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Jun-09 20:12:06

actally, i've got that wrong haven't i? i'll blame the champagne i'm drinking lol

Finlay is the right way to spell it isn't it?
and I know someone with a Finley and it annoys me.

duh

NorthernLurker Tue 23-Jun-09 20:14:13

Avery is Not Good imo. Your dh's family will all be saying it followed by 'well of course justsarah is Canadian' Ava is nice though.

Finn and Finlay - both are nice.

boodleboot Tue 23-Jun-09 20:14:42

i thought Avery was a boys name - my sis posited it for her DS {thankfully she went with Jed} i really do not like it for either sex due to the birdhouse and poop connection....

How about Ava or Avaline?

Finley is a bit meh as seems to be very popular here at the minute. Fenton is similar but a bit different?

NorthernLurker Tue 23-Jun-09 20:19:02

Dear Lord NO! Not Fenton!

Have you never heard of fenton's procedure?

Ondine Tue 23-Jun-09 20:19:19

I like Finn a lot, marred by getting too popular over here but that doesn’t sound a problem in Canada. Think I prefer the traditional Gaelic spelling Fionn but both are nice.

Avery I don’t like at all, just makes me think of poor birds in cages.

ilovegreenbeans Tue 23-Jun-09 20:19:32

I am cdn living in england.

I love the name Finlay.

Avery is very north american to me. I have known boys and girls called it. Feel a bit meh about it.

Hope this helps!

LittleMissBliss Tue 23-Jun-09 20:22:28

Love Finn and Finlay.

justSarah Tue 23-Jun-09 20:34:50

wow, you folks are quick to reply. Thanks for sharing your opinions. I'm sure the inlaws already use that "well, justsarah is canadian" - good point, though. And I hadn't thought of Avery sounding like aviary - rather a smelly connotation indeed.

Hmmm food for thought.

boodleboot Tue 23-Jun-09 20:48:34

jeepers creepers northernlurker i am now absolutely terrified of the name Fenton and wil never ever ever suggest that name for a child ever again....youch.

grin

pranma Tue 23-Jun-09 21:37:08

Finn is super[dgs name]
not sure about Avery though doesnt sound like a real name at all.

happyjules Tue 23-Jun-09 23:16:33

Love it. I do believe it is actually of English origin (can't find the name book that it is in though).
It would have been our choice for #3 if it had been a girl (unfortunately mmc in march) But heres to hoping and trying again.

Scorpette Wed 24-Jun-09 00:49:05

I love the name Avery. It's on my long-list for any future DSs. It is a unisex name, but is generally a boy's name in the UK. It's an ancient British name meaning 'Elf Ruler'.

nooka Wed 24-Jun-09 04:18:06

I think Avery is just about OK for a boy, but not for a girl. Makes me think of the older brother in Charlotte's Web, so I think of it as very American.

I live in BC at the moment, and surnames seem very common in children - I know a Cooper, Dalton, Tanner as well as tons of Braden/Brennans. I don't know if that's a BC thing though, or Canadian.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now