Talk

Advanced search

Month / number names

(16 Posts)
MrsSeanBean Mon 22-Jun-09 22:24:13

Is it stupid/ not 'the done thing' to use a name like Augusta/ Augustus for a child not born in August?

Likewise Septimus for a child who is not your 7th, and Octavia for a girl who is not 8th etc? I can't imagine that there can be many so-called 'legitimate' uses of the names if so.

Just wondering / pondering... what do we think?

thumbwitch Mon 22-Jun-09 23:47:38

MrsSB - if people can call their poor DC after places they were conceived, their favourite tipple at the bar, girlfriends of football teams - then I think your suggestions barely make it onto the stupidity ladder at all. Anyway, August has its own meaning:
au·gust (ô-gst)
adj.
1. Inspiring awe or admiration; majestic: the august presence of the monarch. See Synonyms at grand.
2. Venerable for reasons of age or high rank.

I wouldn't use Septimus if you paid me, although I do like Octavia.

MrsSeanBean Mon 22-Jun-09 23:49:26

Good reasoning TW.
Hmm, yes I suppose Septimus does have worrying links/similarities to Septic!

Maybe Sextus is better grin

thumbwitch Mon 22-Jun-09 23:52:10

Aha-ha-ha. Of course you are joking? grin

What about Quartus? Or Tertius?

MrsSeanBean Tue 23-Jun-09 00:00:03

Hmm, realistically it would have to be Duo, or whatever the relevant Latin equivalent is, at this stage! grin

MrsSeanBean Tue 23-Jun-09 00:02:38

Secundus, apparently.

thumbwitch Tue 23-Jun-09 00:05:07

But you see you would have had to call the first one Primus for that to work properly - you didn't, did you?hmm

grin

MrsSeanBean Tue 23-Jun-09 00:06:22

No.

Drat, that's another bright idea down the pan! grin

1dilemma Tue 23-Jun-09 00:06:57

I have a secret hankering for an Octavia not sure I'm quite so keen on having 7 other dcs first!!

MamaLazarou Tue 23-Jun-09 09:01:01

We were going to have the middle name December for a girl, but now I'm actually due in January, so that's out.

annasmami Tue 23-Jun-09 11:49:39

I know quite a few Quentin's who are 1) neither the fifth born or 2) born in the 5th Month of May.

In fact most names have meanings that we don't associate with names nowadays.

Ondine Tue 23-Jun-09 12:10:44

Betty Draper from the TV show Mad Men is called January Jones in real life. I hadn’t considered it before but I think it works quite well as a girl’s name.

So month names I would consider useable would be January, March, April, May, June, and October for girls and August for a boy. But I do think the child would need to be born in said month or it wouldn’t work.

MaggieBeau Tue 23-Jun-09 12:14:28

WEll, if she were born at 8am or 8 pm or 12.08 or 28 or 38 or 48! round it up or down and there's going to be an 8 not too far off!

sophiesmummie Tue 23-Jun-09 12:15:27

There are loads of Octavias, Junes, Aprils, Quentins, Summers etc. whose names are probably not related to its original meaning.... I don't think it matters!

thell Tue 23-Jun-09 13:35:22

In Stardust the 7 Princes and the Princess are named by number - Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus....and Una!

Love it

lastboxoftampons Tue 23-Jun-09 13:40:08

I don't mind month/holiday related names, but I'm not a fan of naming after the month they were born in, I think it's quite cheesy. Same for Valentine/a for those born in February or Holly for Christmas babies... August/a, June, May, etc are all names in their own right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now