Talk

Advanced search

Callia Ianthe or Seren Mere

(37 Posts)
Verity79 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:14:06

Had a thread a little while ago about DC3's name, had the 21 week scan, it's girl no.3.

I was wobbling about Callia Ianthe as being the new DD's name and got lot's of great ideas/feedback. DH and I then made mind up to call DD3 Callia Ianthe......

Then when on holiday we drove past Mere and I remarked I loved that name in 'Marrow' by Robert Reed (one of my favourite books/characters) DH said he really loved it too. It's a legitimate name in Maori meaning 'bitter' but was used in the context of the book as a direct from English name (i.e. the character is incredibly slight/small).

I was then reading a thread about Welsh names and somebody mentioned Seren (Welsh for 'Star') so now the there is a face (name??) off between Callia Ianthe and Seren Mere.

Any comments (apart from to tell me to quit being so precious wink)?

Oh DD1 is Lilith Louise and DD2 is Alethea Ivy (AKA Thea).

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Mon 22-Jun-09 14:17:01

Seren Mere

Sounds prettier to say, and easier for spelling/pronunciation.

ShowOfHands Mon 22-Jun-09 14:18:59

Callia Ianthe. Gorgeous.

Seren Mere nice but sounds like a place/holiday resort.

Jumente Mon 22-Jun-09 14:19:23

Well if you can call a child lIlith you are way out of my depth already grin

I think they're all nice names, really - had Lilith down for mine but then read the book!

Jumente Mon 22-Jun-09 14:19:49

How about Eden Lake?

bigstripeytiger Mon 22-Jun-09 14:22:00

I prefer Callia Ianthe.
I agree with Seren Mere sounding like a place.

Fimbo Mon 22-Jun-09 14:23:41

Seren Mere sounds like the name of a racehorse or greyhound.

Verity79 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:39:15

Jumente - which book? We named her for the mythical first wife of Adam, what with her being the first feminist and all wink.

I'm begining to wonder if I need help and should just call this baby Sarah Jane and be done with it wink

Jumente Mon 22-Jun-09 14:40:59

George Macdonald - seriously good author but scary woman!

'Lilith
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the demoness Lilith. For other uses, see Lilith (disambiguation).

Lilith (1892), by John Collier.Lilith (Hebrew לילית) is a mythological female Mesopotamian storm demon associated with wind and was thought to be a bearer of disease, illness, and death. '

No don't be boring, I am only teasing you. I have some odd ones for my own kids - much more fun that way!

PuppyMonkey Mon 22-Jun-09 14:42:58

They both sound like holiday resorts actually. They are very poncey if you don't mind me saying. Do you mind that?

cyteen Mon 22-Jun-09 14:52:09

I wouldn't put them in those combinations - Callia Ianthe has a big mash-up of 'a's and 'i's in the middle and Seren Mere does indeed sound like somewhere in the Lake District. How about Callia Seren, Seren Ianthe or Mere Callia?

'mere' also has a strong flavour of dismissiveness to me, e.g. "you are merely a woman and therefore of no consequence", so might be worth rethinking on that score.

I think it's nice when you have one unusual name followed or preceded by a more usual one to avoid sounding a bit pretentious. Like Seren May, or Mere Grace. I do like Seren, not sure about Callia Ianthe, how is Ianthe pronounced?

frisbyrat Mon 22-Jun-09 14:56:20

I think they both sound like names from Lord of the Rings.... sort of ethereal nymph-y. I would envisage them as belonging to a blonde and willowy maiden.

ShowOfHands Mon 22-Jun-09 15:29:18

Yes, Lilith is a very brave choice. It's beautiful but involves the sort of gum sucking my ageing grandmother employed when she heard that dn was to be called Delilah.

belgo Mon 22-Jun-09 15:36:35

Seren is pretty. Seren Mere takes all prettiness away unfortuntely. Agree with puppy monkey about the names sounding poncey, and far too thought out. Seren Marie is lovely.

MamaLazarou Mon 22-Jun-09 15:40:39

How would one pronounce Ianthe? Yan-thee?

PuppyMonkey Mon 22-Jun-09 15:44:19

Yes, now you mention it belgo.. it's like calling her Seren Meh. grin

Greensleeves Mon 22-Jun-09 15:47:10

Seren Ianthe not bad

muffle Mon 22-Jun-09 15:49:51

Ooh no I like Mere a lot. When you think about it the pronunciation is pretty much like Mia (unless you're scottish or irish etc, but then it's really nice with a rolled R too)

I would go for Seren Mere. Don't like Seren Marie, something rough-sounding about it (sorry).

There is nothing wrong with sounding like somewhere in the Lake District - that's a good thing IMO!

Verity79 Mon 22-Jun-09 15:58:10

I realise I'm a bit hmm when it comes to names but given my name and the fact at one point there were FIVE Karens in my junior school class, I like unusual names (or outlandish/unwieldy/poncy/just plain odd if that's your pov). I don't want DDs to be Sarah X in class (or whatever today's equivalent is).

I'll put 'Seren Mere' down to pg hormones and move on given by the responses here. Unfortunately neither of us is willowy or blond/e so I think ethereal names will have to be axed as well grin.

Seren May is actually a legitimate choice for us as May was my Grandma's name (Ivy is DH's Grandma) but as I hated her I'm so not going to 'honour' her by naming a daughter after her (plus she thought girls were worthless so not appropriate anyway).

I like Callia Seren though. Has anyone got any more suggestions? Or any offers of medication?

seren faye
seren jane
seren louise
seren beth
seren elaine
seren anais
seren haf (welsh for summer, pronounced harv, so she'd be "summer star")

gagamama Mon 22-Jun-09 17:11:16

The only sense my eyes and head can immediately make of Callia Ianthe is Calanthe, but that's maybe only because I used to know someone called that. If I'm pronouncing it correctly, it sort of sounds like I'm stuttering in the middle or have a bit of a lisp. Although Ianthe is lovely.

Mere just makes me think of lowly and downtrodden, but it does have further stuttering potential when yelling ^c'mere Mere^! across Tesco. grin

Jumente Mon 22-Jun-09 17:14:43

Sennen is nice. Not sure what it means though, I met a little boy called it once.

sweetkitty Mon 22-Jun-09 17:19:20

I love Callia but don't think it flows with Ianthe sorry, I think you need a shorter middle name but not knowing your surname it's hard to make a full judgement IYSWIM

Like Seren too but not with Mere again sorry blush prefer Serena TBH

Congrats on 3 girls it's fab

SOLOisMeredithGrey Mon 22-Jun-09 17:20:24

Seren Mere...although, I was thinking that you'd be pronouncing it 'Mare, not mere(meer)iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now