Talk

Advanced search

DS 2 weeks early and no name. Help!

(38 Posts)
thetraveller Sat 20-Jun-09 10:01:33

Despite knowing about impending arrival for 9 months, DS managed to catch us off-guard and is now 1 week old with no name. Middle name will be James (family name). Surname is double-barrelled (F-F). DH and I both like strong-sounding, lightly less usual names (but not too wacky). Some contenders, but grateful for comments:

Hector (Tor for short) - he looks a bit like a Hector
Oscar - also suits him, but initials spell OFF without the middle name. Is this a problem?
Jasper - like this but hesitant as DS has definite ginger tones in hair. But will anyone remember Jasper Carrot in 10 years time?
Alexander - nice but not particularly excited about it. I don't like Alex or Sandy as a short form and DH doesn't like Xander or Alec.

Lulumama Sat 20-Jun-09 10:06:06

OScar is my favourite out of all of them

Pingpong Sat 20-Jun-09 10:14:05

I am not a fan of Hector (or Archie) they remind me of Monarch of the Glen so conjure up dippy landed gentry. So with a double barrelled surname to boot people it makes me shudder (sorry for being brutally honest) but if that is the image you are looking for then go for it.
I have only known dogs called Jasper not humans.
OFF is not a problem as it would really be OJFF. Oscar is okay.
Alexander I do like but if you and DH can't agree on any of the nn then there doesn't seem much point unless you use AJ as in Alexander James.
I do really like James however!

Dalrymps Sat 20-Jun-09 10:16:56

I like Hector grin it's a little different but not too wacky and less common than oscar.

Have you thought about Harrsion? I quite like it although don't like the idea of it being shortenend to Harry... Personal choice I guess.

Congratualtions by the way! grin

Dalrymps Sat 20-Jun-09 10:19:23

Oh I also like Isaac smile

jellybeans Sat 20-Jun-09 10:19:28

I like Oscar best. Not keen on others. Also how about...

Zachary
Flynn
Caleb
Evan
Otis
Saul
Marcus

fucksticks Sat 20-Jun-09 10:20:21

Oscar definitely
Hector, Jasper both too poncy with double barrelled name
Alexander ok, bit dull and WILL get shortened

smallblessings Sat 20-Jun-09 10:21:13

I LOVE Hector. smile

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Sat 20-Jun-09 10:35:13

Hector's an old man's name. Oscar is ok.

Dalrymps Sat 20-Jun-09 10:37:01

Oscar's an old mans name too grin they're all the rage don't ya know?!

Actually Hector is the middle name of the drummer from Bon Jovi, don't know if thats a good or a bad thing though!

shootfromthehip Sat 20-Jun-09 10:39:42

Hector was our top name for DS until he arrived and looked nothing like a Hector!

Oscar is nice but not as cool as Hector.

We also loved Tobias, Jonah and Jenson. Actually we went for one of those but I'm not telling which one <<mysterious emoticon>>.

Good luck

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Sat 20-Jun-09 10:44:15

I don't mind the odd old man name like George and can sort of see why it's back, but Hector has no cool-ness about it. I think it's a going-to-get-picked-on name.

boodleboot Sat 20-Jun-09 11:54:11

Hector is my all time fav name for a boy and the reason why most of my opening posts are all around girls names not boys as have yet to hear a name to surpass hector

Hector - do it, it is just a fab name.

alittlebitshy Sat 20-Jun-09 11:57:55

Hector is lovely. Unusual without being a wtf kind of name.

lockets Sat 20-Jun-09 11:58:07

Message withdrawn

DiamondHead Sat 20-Jun-09 12:05:58

If he looks like a Hector, then it sounds like you've already chosen really. I think Hector's good.

Albert, Arthur.

My dd didn't have a name for the first couple of weeks. It 's so hard.

audley Sat 20-Jun-09 15:43:21

Hector is fabulous, I love it and am miffed I can't use it myself!

Jojay Sat 20-Jun-09 15:50:44

Jasper is THE best boys name (biased) but I agree that it may sound poncy with a double barrelled surname - our surname is dead common so it balances it out!

Jojay Sat 20-Jun-09 15:51:24

And no-one ever mentions Jasper Carrot - Conran gets mentioned more

magbags Sat 20-Jun-09 16:49:47

Oscar is the only one I like from your list. Think it's a fab name. Oscar James goes nicely too, initials not a problem imo. Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy btw.

Tas1 Sat 20-Jun-09 17:17:38

Harrison James F-F
Ethan James F-F

Any good?

nooka Sat 20-Jun-09 17:28:22

Well if you don't like the nns for Alexander then that seems like a no go, as it is unlikely he won't use at least one of them at some time. No one will remember Jasper Carrot - he's pretty much disappeared already. But Jasper F-F does sound quite sloaney. Oscar I think is really quite common, so might not be very unusual. Hector is great - dh wanted this when we first met, from the Illiad (one for the greatest tragic heros). I could never think of nn for it.

Leo
David
Quentin
Tobit
Darius
Edmund
Sebastian
Jonathon
Simon

oh lots of names woudl work really

BlackEyedDogstar Sat 20-Jun-09 17:38:12

Oh I'm another for Hector. I think it's very cool indeed and a tiny bit quirky.

Jasper is great too.

Any name you biscuit-barrel sounds posh imo (we are double surred too).

annasmami Sat 20-Jun-09 18:25:29

From the suggestions so far I love

Hector
and
Quentin

both are classic, masculine names that aren't too common (yet?).

On the other hand, Oscar seems to be becoming very 'trendy' and I find Alex a little unimaginative.

mopsyflopsy Sat 20-Jun-09 18:30:10

Hector is nice, but I can't see how Tor would be an obvious nickname.... I thought you stress the Hec.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now