Talk

Advanced search

Seasons as Names

(29 Posts)
fondlywaiting Sat 20-Jun-09 00:56:11

We're definitely going to use a season name for our baby. I did like Summer though I did hear that this was getting popular.
The main ones in order of preference are Winter, Summer, Autumn. Spring isn't really on our list as it sounds silly and I;ve not heard as a name.
Winter, Summer, Autumn AND even Spring. Wdyt?

Thunderduck Sat 20-Jun-09 01:13:12

I love all three names. Spring is silly though as you say.

teafortwo Sat 20-Jun-09 01:34:58

Wow - lovely lovely names!

Spring only sounds daft in English because of the boingy meaning too! In Slavic languages the poetic word for Spring is a strong, beautiful word and great girls name IMHO...

www.behindthename.com/name/vesna

Which season will your baby be born in? I only ask because I think it is very romantic for a girl to be named after the season she was born in. To the extent that this would be my strongest deciding factor on which name to choose... the others simply wouldn't get a look in grin!

boodleboot Sat 20-Jun-09 12:08:28

I havew always loved Autumn as a name and because i am so sold on having Win/Winnie as a nickname Winter would be a lovely name. Summer for me has been ruined by eastenders dawn and her baby but i do really like it

what season will she be born in?

nickschick Sat 20-Jun-09 12:12:47

Autumn is a beautiful name with the right surname and birthdate.

My mum has a cousin called breezy I think thats a fab name.

bluebump Sat 20-Jun-09 12:17:24

My friend's sisters are called Autumn and Summer grin. I also know of another Summer. I quite like both names.

plonker Sat 20-Jun-09 12:19:01

I don't like Winter, but that's purely because of the connotations (cold, icy, dark).

Autumn and Summer are lovely.

Spring seems odd as it has other meanings besides the season. When I think of Autumn or Summer I think of the rich shades of leaves or the warm summers sun - when I think of Spring I think of new life and green shoots, but also or jumping, a coil, a bed or a trampoline too, if that makes sense?

boodleboot Sat 20-Jun-09 12:22:56

bluebump out of interest what is your friend called?

bluebump Sat 20-Jun-09 12:24:45

She is called Amy. Do we have a mutual real life friend then? smile

mrswoolf Sat 20-Jun-09 13:12:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

smartiejake Sat 20-Jun-09 13:34:35

One of my friends dds (grown up now) is called Autumn- I've always thought it was a lovely name. Summer is ok (although getting more popular) but Spring and Winter just sound daft.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Jun-09 13:37:34

Daft idea. Especially if the name doesn't match the season she was born in.

violethill Sat 20-Jun-09 14:19:07

Agree with SoupDragon. The names are lovely for the seasons, not for babies.

Bucharest Sat 20-Jun-09 14:21:37

Agree with SoupDragon and Violet.

boodleboot Sat 20-Jun-09 14:29:42

bluebump - no we don't have RL mutual friend i just was being nosey....i just couldn't imagine what she would be called with sisters autumn and summer....were they twins? smile

MaggieBeau Sat 20-Jun-09 15:16:41

Summer and Autumn work as names. The other two don't.

bluebump Sat 20-Jun-09 16:12:16

boodleboot There are 5 girls as far as I know and only these two with the seasons for names! smile Oh and they weren't twins either!

Deemented Sat 20-Jun-09 16:20:53

The manshape has declared he likes the name Winter, but spelled Wynter.

Granny23 Sat 20-Jun-09 16:22:58

The Spring months - April, May and June, are of course all names.

BunnyLebowski Sat 20-Jun-09 16:45:26

Nicole Richie's littl'un is Harlow Winter Kate - love it!

Like the hippyish idea of Summer but round these parts it's been adopted by Dawn from Eastenders types so puts me right off.

Autumn doesn't pass as a name for me and Spring would be hilarious! (not in a good way)

elvislives Sat 20-Jun-09 20:29:53

Doesn't Verna mean spring?

Kotek Sun 21-Jun-09 13:37:08

Vesna is spring in some slavic languages and a common girls name in those languages if you fancy being exotic!

teafortwo Mon 22-Jun-09 00:55:50

fondlywaiting.... what are your thoughts now?

serin Mon 22-Jun-09 10:51:13

Autumn (Elizabeth)

makingdotoo Mon 22-Jun-09 11:45:25

I have a 4 year old Summer. When i fell pregnant again people kept saying, why dont you call it Winter if its a boy or Autumn if its a girl. Yeah so funny hmm

I only like summer as a 'season' name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now