Talk

Advanced search

Two baby name questions

(39 Posts)
MrsHappy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:14:12

The name Malin for a girl popped into my head today. Also Marin. Am I making these names up or are they real?

Also, if you were going to give your daughter a very unusual middle name, would you give her a first name like Marin or would you go for something more "standard"? Our older DD has quite a popular name (although it is very pretty, hence its popularity), but I wouldn't like them to feel as though one got the boring name and one was named because I was under the influence of hormones...

All thoughts welcome.

Sunshinemummy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:22:08

Dn't know about Marin (there's a place in California called Marin county) but I knew a Danish girl called Malin so I think it may be a Scandanavian name.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 17-Jun-09 16:25:51

smile I like them... but they were used in a nintendo Zelda game...

Malin- Swedish form of Magdalene. Marin- form of Marinus (therefore male)

Still like them though! blush
Very euphonic

MrsHappy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:29:45

I knew my avoidance of computer games would have a downside one day! This baby's a girl so perhaps should avoid the boy one...

Fimbo Wed 17-Jun-09 16:34:03

I know a Marlowe.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Wed 17-Jun-09 16:34:24

they both sound a bit unfinished to me. Like they should have 'A's at the end.

Also there is ambiguity in how you pronounce them.
Is i Ma-lin or Marlin, Ma-rin or Marin

Just my thoughts smile

BlueChampagne Wed 17-Jun-09 16:34:47

I've met a bloke with Malin as a middle name. She might suffer with the Shipping Forecast.

Pingpong Wed 17-Jun-09 16:40:40

There was a Marin at school (male). A friend told me a friend had named her dd Malin as in the shipping forecast area.
I think Malin is pretty but Marin because of the boy at school makes me think male.
I would consider Malin to be unusual so would go with a more 'standard' middle name if it were me.
I have a popular 70s name and my brother had an unusual name (popular name) and it didn't bother either of us!

MrsHappy Wed 17-Jun-09 17:45:00

I know what you mean about them sounding unfinished, meemar, but I am strangely drawn to names that don't end in a vowel. We'll still probably end up with one though.

Have never listened to the shipping forecast, but maybe I should for inspiration!

Fimbo Wed 17-Jun-09 17:58:24

I couldn't think where I had heard Marin before, but is it the name of Whitney Houstoun's character in The Bodyguard?

Actually it has just come to me, its her second name - Rachel Marin.

Deemented Wed 17-Jun-09 18:08:28

Malin sounds quite Welsh - i like it.

MrsHappy Wed 17-Jun-09 18:09:35

Oh dear, that's put the kybosh on it. That film was dreadful. (As if the Nintendo reference was not bad enough)

cthea Wed 17-Jun-09 18:09:40

One of my nieces is called Marina, which I think is v pretty. She is half-Greek.

ilovesprouts Wed 17-Jun-09 18:12:18

there a boy at my dds old school called that hes 15

flipflopper Wed 17-Jun-09 18:45:24

Malin was a servant in one of the pippi longstocking books, so it might be scandinavian

CurryMaid Wed 17-Jun-09 18:48:42

I knew a Malin, she was from Iceland I think.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 17-Jun-09 19:32:47

Not ending in vowel...
Beatrix
Margot
Ingrid
Astrid
Isobel
Rachel
Miriam
Meredith
Meriel
Elizabeth

MrsJamin Wed 17-Jun-09 19:37:49

Marin & Malin are both 'real' names but v uncommon.

janeite Wed 17-Jun-09 19:41:27

I'm not fond of them and agree that they sound a bit 'unfinished' - actually I have no idea about computer games or Whitney Houston but they sound like names from a 1970s sci-fi novel (not necessarily a bad thing!).

I love Magdelen/a though.

From EachPeach's list I like:

Beatrix
Astrid
Isobel
Meredith

CurryMaid Wed 17-Jun-09 19:45:54

Margot! This place is priceless grin

MrsHappy Wed 17-Jun-09 19:53:53

Thanks EPPM. Although I am just not keen on any of those! For various reasons - I know someone of the same name, they are a bit too popular around here, or they sound odd with our surname etc. And Meredith will always be a completely hot MAN from a course I was on...(although Meredith is also that annoying-voiced popsy who is marrying McDreamy). Presumably if the right name comes along I will feel it in my bones!
It's just as well I have nearly 20 weeks in which to get this sorted.

On a different note, what do you reckon to names that alliterate? Like Flora French, for example.

MrsHappy Wed 17-Jun-09 19:55:33

Oh yes, DH is foreign and pronounces "Margot" with a hard T as in Mar-GOTT.

As my friend said "Margot is an elegant girl. MargoT wears sensible shoes".

Deary me.

janeite Wed 17-Jun-09 19:56:13

I deffo think 'no' to alliteration: just sounds rather too cutesy and deliberate to me, sorry.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 17-Jun-09 20:51:03

Hey currymaid angry Margot happens to have been on the list for my dc2- Cecily Margot was the front runner but he was born 4 mo ago.

Alliteration? NO \shock/ Don't do it!

janeite Wed 17-Jun-09 20:52:35

Cecily is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now