Talk

Advanced search

Poppy Kate

(26 Posts)
Freyfreysmum Tue 16-Jun-09 19:11:02

Is our first choice for Baby no2. What do you think...? DD1 is Freya. x

boodleboot Tue 16-Jun-09 19:12:53

really pretty....i like it. simple and unpretentious.

poppysweetie Tue 16-Jun-09 19:36:57

Really lovely I like it

thell Wed 17-Jun-09 11:11:09

fab! smile

Freyfreysmum Wed 17-Jun-09 11:33:46

Ah thanks.... its still at the top of our list lol but with 3 1/2 months to go Im sure I'll keep dithering. Love the combo of Poppy and Freya tho. x

Disenchanted3 Wed 17-Jun-09 11:34:43

Lovely.

Issy123 Wed 17-Jun-09 12:18:15

I think its a bit wet,

mrswoolf Wed 17-Jun-09 12:25:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chaya5738 Wed 17-Jun-09 13:00:37

Cute for a little girl. Might sound a little strange on a woman. I use the boardroom test - could a "Poppy Kate" introduce herself at a business meeting and not feel a little silly.

CravingOlives Wed 17-Jun-09 13:12:18

I really like it, it's pretty but not pretentious. I do agree though with Chaya who said it might not pass the businesswoman test. I suppose if your DD is bothered though she could just go by Kate when she's older.

Hulababy Wed 17-Jun-09 13:18:13

I like the name Poppy; very pretty.

Hulababy Wed 17-Jun-09 13:19:44

I don't get the whole boardroom/prime minister type thing.

When we were babies and being named it would have been odd to consider people with some of the 70/80s popular names as people in power, but now those names seem normal and fine. Names grew up with the person and it just becomes the norm.

mopsyflopsy Wed 17-Jun-09 13:23:53

I personally don't like the sound of Poppy. It sounds a little harsh and not very elegant/feminine to my ears. Also sounds a little 'childish'

Of course, thats just my opinion, but you did ask smile

PuppyMonkey Wed 17-Jun-09 13:28:06

There's a famous doctor or lawyer or something called Poppy isn't there?

Boardroom test me arse.

KERALA1 Wed 17-Jun-09 14:02:19

Great for a cute toddler. Doesn't work at all on an adult woman but then I think that about Daisy too.

Bounty2009 Wed 17-Jun-09 14:30:35

Message withdrawn

fizzpops Wed 17-Jun-09 14:46:27

I agree Hulababy.

Plus, I have a perfectly ordinary name but always feel silly introducing myself because I don't think it suits me.

I'd love to see a Prime Minister called Lola or Archie - would make life much more interesting. I certainly wouldn't be thinking they can't be PM as they are not named appropriately!

mrswoolf Wed 17-Jun-09 14:49:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Paolosgirl Wed 17-Jun-09 15:08:26

Cute name for a little girl, not so great for a grown woman. There is a Dr on Embarrassing Bodies called Pixie - maybe you're thinking of her, PuppyMonkey? It sounds as if she's trying just that leetle bit too hard.

Freyfreysmum Wed 17-Jun-09 21:01:14

Hehe thanks guys. About to post my option two lol, youre making me have doubts about my lovely daughter when she's running for PM!x

Kotek Thu 18-Jun-09 10:52:07

Don't worry about the boardroom test - it's silly. Just think of all the powerful successful women with unusual names - Condoleezza Rice etc.

LackingNicknameInspiration Thu 18-Jun-09 11:54:28

I think it's a lovely name. Only thing I would point out is that there's a series of books called 'Poppy Cat' - I doubt that they're so well known as to make a difference but thought I'd mention it, as my DD's obsessed with them. But if you're just calling her Poppy day-to-day, not really an issue - and does sound lovely with Freya.

pedalmonster Thu 18-Jun-09 15:13:51

in South Africa, Poppie means "little doll" and it is a term of affection rather than an actual name.
Have to say I love the board room test - very practical. I love Kate, taht is a beautiful name. I love Katie Elisabeth.

chaya5738 Thu 18-Jun-09 15:58:54

I guess it isn't the "unusual" thing that bothers me with Poppy, Lulu etc and those sorts of names (which I do think are sweet, btw). I don't think they are particularly unusual (like Condolezza is). It is that I think when we think of girls names we imagine a cute little girl and sometimes forget that they are going to be women someday who will want to be taken seriously. I am not sure I would want to be introducing myself as "Poppy" at a business meeting.

weepootle Thu 18-Jun-09 16:03:01

Lovely. I almost changed dd's name to Poppy Kate just before registering her but I stuck with the original which has Poppy as middle name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now