Talk

Advanced search

Elousia

(40 Posts)
boodleboot Mon 15-Jun-09 08:31:36

Pronounced El-oo-see-a

what do we think? this name was just in a book i have read and adored...can be shortened to loulou and sia perhaps?

what do you think?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 15-Jun-09 08:40:29

i'm afraid I just see "lousier"

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 15-Jun-09 08:40:41

sorry blush

MildredRoper Mon 15-Jun-09 08:47:50

I think it sounds lovely when you say it out loud.

But I looked at it and thought you meant 'Elouisa' until I read the post a second time. So I think the child would spend their life correcting people.

CoteDAzur Mon 15-Jun-09 08:48:55

I see "elusive".

BFQi Mon 15-Jun-09 08:49:54

Sorry, can't help thinking of "loser" and "looser".

lowrib Mon 15-Jun-09 08:50:37

It's lovely, but I though Eloise when read too, but this isn't a show stopper IMO - if you really love it then go for it.

What about Elodie?

abraid Mon 15-Jun-09 08:58:09

IT looks like a mis-spelling of Eloise or Eloisa.

Laugs Mon 15-Jun-09 09:03:04

Sorry, I thought you meant Eloise or Eloisa too.

How about Lucia?

thumbwitch Mon 15-Jun-09 09:03:49

I also thought first, a mis-spelling, then second, looks like lousier.
Not a fan. Prefer Eloise.

What about Heloise?

boodleboot Mon 15-Jun-09 09:24:21

i totally hear all of the concerns you point up girls but the meaning of the name is 'Creator God, the ground of all Being' which i think is just amazing and the book was so amazing too. it is called The Shack by WM Paul Young. well worth a read IMO...sorry i know this isn't a book thread ha.

it kind of does look mispelt and yet i still love it - it sounds beautiful when you say it and has nicknames that are equally lovely if she truly hated it. my name was continuously misread and it never bothered TBH. smile

notevenamousie Mon 15-Jun-09 09:26:37

I see "lousier" too. And children can be very cruel. But like Eloise, Louisa, etc.

annasmami Mon 15-Jun-09 09:52:56

Elousia sounds pretty - I like it. It does take a little getting used to, as it is similar to Elouise, but still a lovely name imo.

BFQi Mon 15-Jun-09 17:36:26

Is the stress on the second or third syllable, just out of interest? Would Elusia be a possible alternative spelling? Can sort of understand the appeal, despite my earlier reservations - and agree about the meaning

boodleboot Mon 15-Jun-09 18:49:07

ehlooseeah and i guess you could do Elusia.

i dunno, i really love the NN Lulu and Sia too which was a bonus. But i wouldn't want a name that most people saw written down as Lousier....thats rubbish blush

but really we say our names more often than we write it and if you read it correctly it looks as it sounds i think......meh.

abraid Mon 15-Jun-09 18:55:39

The Shack, eh. That's very interesting.

I got this from a Writers' site: it's some marketing information about how the author of The Shack encourages his authors or people who share his religious convictions to market the title (which is self-published rather than conventionally published):

"Tips include sending copies to people of influence, mentioning it on blogs and website...talking it up on Internet forums..."

Is the OP really interested in this name or marketing the book? grin

MrsJamin Mon 15-Jun-09 19:46:35

What about Elicia instead?

boodleboot Mon 15-Jun-09 22:19:29

erm ok, i was simply referencing my source of inspiration for a name i like..hmm

janeite Mon 15-Jun-09 22:21:32

Nope.

But I love Eloise and Elise.

And the whole 'Shack' thing sounds v odd indeed.

boodleboot Mon 15-Jun-09 22:25:21

I have an SDD Elise already {spelt Ellesse....don't ask...ha}and my DD is called Ellie....Eloise is great....Eloisa is better.....i just really love the sound of the name Elousia....

Tidey Mon 15-Jun-09 22:26:05

My first thought was the line 'I am un chien Andalusia' from Debaser by the Pixies.

Eloise, Eloisa, Elisa, Elise all lovely alternatives.

ravenAK Mon 15-Jun-09 22:31:48

It does look like a mis-spelt Eloise.

Read the first page of the book online (OK, I was bored enough to google.)

It's...not very good. I'd be wary of calling a child after a character from a book. They may cringe at the association.

NorkyButNice Mon 15-Jun-09 22:32:33

I just see Louse unfortunately. And if you already have an Ellie and an Elise (or Ellesse) then it's an even darter suggestion really tbh).

Sorry but you did ask!

NorkyButNice Mon 15-Jun-09 22:34:23

darter dafter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now