Talk

Advanced search

India and other girls names...

(23 Posts)
Haribosmummy Sun 14-Jun-09 21:28:28

I'm currently obsessing considering girls names for DD (due in 6 weeks).. even though I SWORE I wouldn't!!! blush

One name that my DSDs came up with today is India, which I think is just lovely...

Other names we like are Emily, Martha, ALice and Grace - but they are all SUPER popular at the moment...

Imogen is another idea, but I'm less keen on Immy, which it's almost certain to be shortened too...

Any comments would be gratefully received!

Thanks, HM

dizzydixies Sun 14-Jun-09 21:30:58

Imogen could also be Mimi but if you love India then go for it

Alice and Emily are timeless classics and popular for a reason as they're beautiful

Grace lovely but she needs to be just that, we loved the name Grace but when DD1 came out weighing 10lb4 we realised she wasn't a Grace grin

Martha is ok but not as nice as Alice, Emily or Imogen

FlyMeToDunoon Sun 14-Jun-09 21:33:03

I have an India.
It gets shortened to Indy! How does that grab you?

Rindercella Sun 14-Jun-09 21:34:31

Well, I am biased here [and will try not to be offended when loads of people come along & post 'oh India - horrible, awful name' smile] but I love India, which is what DD is called. grin

I do think though that an India needs to be either very blonde & blue eyed, or dark & exotic (DD is the latter). But that's just a personal opinion.

Good luck! grin

Haribosmummy Sun 14-Jun-09 21:36:29

I like Indy!! grin And I do want a name that can be shortened...

I agree, dizzy, that a Grace does need to be a Grace (I think the same is true of Martha!)

I just think India is gorgeous but a little different...

Only other concern with it is that my son is Harrison (Harry)... not sure they really go, but not sure they need to?

DSDs are Hannah and Isobel (Issy)

dizzydixies Sun 14-Jun-09 21:38:06

well it would keep with the H and I initials smile I would be inclined to say that Imogen goes slightly better but in the grand scheme of things what does it matter ?!?

Rindercella Sun 14-Jun-09 21:38:55

I think Harrison, Hannah & Issy will all love to have Indy as their little sister grin

And our India is frequently shortened to Indy!

We have yet to meet another little India, but I have heard there are 2 or 3 around these parts... smile

dizzydixies Sun 14-Jun-09 21:40:03

there was one in the paper recently who was an Indie-Anna

all I ask is that you don't go down that route please grin

FlyMeToDunoon Sun 14-Jun-09 21:40:09

Of course Indy and Harrison are a whole film reference!

Wilts Sun 14-Jun-09 21:40:20

I love the name India, it would be my second choice for the girl I am unlikely to ever have grin.

I also know an India and she is a lovely cheery person so I think that always makes me think of it positively.

Ds2 would have been Grace but like you say I think it is extremely popular at the moment.

Imogen would be my second preference from your list. While I know you don't like the possible shortening of it, I think if you are strict from the beginning you can prevent shortening happening. I say this as person who has a hyphenated name that is never shortened, my mother perfected a glare should anyone dare to use the first half alone when I was younger grin

dizzydixies Sun 14-Jun-09 21:43:36

am also a hyphenated name never shortened

although I have given all 3 DDs names with shortenings we choose grin

CandleQueen Sun 14-Jun-09 21:43:40

I know an Indiana.

Surname is Janes.

I kid you not. hmm

Haribosmummy Sun 14-Jun-09 21:44:15

Indy!!! blush - I hadn't considered the Harrison connection!!! (that honestly isn't why I like it!!! I'm not harbouring a lurking desire for Harrison Ford!!!) grin

If DS is anything to go by, then DD will be blue eyed and blonde haired...

Hadn't noticed that it will be HIHI either...

I am not so perceptive!!!

I did think that Imogen could be shortened to Jenny / genny but DH said that was stupid. hmm grin blush

Thunderduck Mon 15-Jun-09 00:04:10

I love India. It's beautiful, as are Grace,Emily and Imogen.

Momino Mon 15-Jun-09 05:32:46

Ilove India (we have an India smile) and think it's a beautiful name to suit any age.

jellybeans Mon 15-Jun-09 12:47:59

I prefer Imogen but India is nice, I know one.

Firawla Mon 15-Jun-09 17:07:36

I think India is really nice, it has a very pretty sound and much more interesting than some of the very popular choices like emily, grace..

justlookatthatbooty Tue 16-Jun-09 02:44:45

I love India and it would be number one choice for us, except that surname is Jones and it's just a bit too close to Indiana Jones!
Go for it, love it.

x

Shells Tue 16-Jun-09 03:09:39

I'm afraid I find it a bit odd if you don't have any connections with India.

boodleboot Tue 16-Jun-09 11:12:51

imogen - Gen-Gen rather than Immy?

i love India tho.....don't think you need a connection to India really.

thehairybabysmum Tue 16-Jun-09 11:18:53

My friend has an India, also shortened to Indy sometimes and it is lovely. Really suits her, unusual without being poncey i reckon.

Think it goes lovely with Harrison too.

ShowOfHands Tue 16-Jun-09 11:22:03

I know two adult Indias (one of whom is quite possibly the most beautiful person to grace this earth) and three quite little babies.

It's certainly increasing in popularity but not ridiculously so.

It's beautiful btw.

peppapig3 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:42:26

I like all you names. India is a little more unusual so perhaps 'goes' better with Harrison. From the others, I especially like Alice and Grace (two of my favourites).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now