Talk

Advanced search

Stanley or Woodrow ?

(46 Posts)
pippylongstockings Sat 13-Jun-09 20:31:10

feel free to chip your two-peneth!

thisisyesterday Sat 13-Jun-09 20:32:49

i love stanley, but it is getting quite popular these days.

Woodrow I am not sure about atm, but i think is one of those names that would grow on you if you knew someone called it iyswim?

MrsKitty Sat 13-Jun-09 20:36:14

I love Stanley - may well make my shortlist for new baby although DH not convinced at the moment.

I think I like Woodrow - unusual definitely - am certain it would be shortened to Woody so I guess you have to think about what you think of that too...

pippylongstockings Sat 13-Jun-09 20:52:20

Yes - that's a big thought, I like Woody but feel it is possibly too much of a nick-name name. And that once he was called day to day that there would be no going back.

I am called Phillippa but never ever ever am I called that in R/L.

I like Stanley and the shortening Stan but cautious as it's a bit of a dogs name?

Paolosgirl Sat 13-Jun-09 20:56:36

Oh dear God no....

Woodrow sounds like the name of a company (indeed, is one half of a construction company) and Stanley is one of these names which should be locked away in a cupboard never see the light of day again, along with Cyril, Herbert and Valentine. Please don't do it to the wee chap.

suwoo Sat 13-Jun-09 21:06:05

I like them both, but would never actually use them.

I think Stanley is a bit cliched if that is the right word, could be a bit trying too hard to be cool?

Woodrow is very American and couldn't possibly be used as our surname starts with Wood... grin.

Anyhoo, what do I know. Soon to be born DS2 will be Felix Arthur Ashworth W

Sidge Sat 13-Jun-09 21:13:29

Neither.

pippylongstockings Sat 13-Jun-09 21:28:12

suwoo - I love Felix but our surname rhymes with a slang-name for the female down below parts, so it is liable abuse in the name front.

We felt it would be turned in to 'He licks......?'

But I still love it - good choice.

BlueBumedFly Sat 13-Jun-09 21:43:45

Stanley - love it, my number 1 boys name

nessus Sat 13-Jun-09 23:37:19

Both names conjure up tweed and hunting cap. Not good, not good at all (gosh, that is becoming my MN catchphrase!)

However, I have a Woody in the house and I love it so, that I would happily name all my kids it!

Woody 1, Woody 2 etc :p

southeastastra Sat 13-Jun-09 23:50:02

woody woodpecker

mrswoolf Sun 14-Jun-09 00:32:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rehtom Sun 14-Jun-09 00:36:08

Stanley - fine, no problems
Woodrow - ????????? Who??????? What??????? Wood. Row. NO. Can't get my head around that at all, and I'm an openminded type. Sounds like a company name.

Thunderduck Sun 14-Jun-09 00:36:38

Both are bloody awful.

rehtom Sun 14-Jun-09 00:42:04

What are your children's names Thunderduck?

lowrib Sun 14-Jun-09 00:45:40

I usually support strange name choices. I know lots of adults (and children) with names that are out of the ordinary, and it's really not the life sentence that boring people imagine it to be, and it's much more interesting than everyone using the same old names again and again.

But this time I'm afraid I have to say no. Just no.

seeker Sun 14-Jun-09 00:49:29

Just no.

Thunderduck Sun 14-Jun-09 00:56:00

No children yet. TTC/Adopt But I might as well be honest here. They are bloody awful imho. Though Stanley less so than Woodrow.

CornishKK Sun 14-Jun-09 10:20:45

I like them both but prefer Stanley.

Stanley was on my list but DH was a definite "no" on that one, he said it was an old man's name (but then he said that about pretty much every name I wanted) grin.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 14-Jun-09 10:36:01

Dear me call social services!! Im afraid I hate hate hate them both, but in fairness, if we all liked the same name we would all be called the same so variation is good! See....Im trying to justify it....

5inthebed Sun 14-Jun-09 10:39:20

My dad is called Stanley, so can't get my head around using it for a little baby. My dad was never a baby wink.

Woodrow? Not really sure about tbh. Not my cup of tea.

Nancy66 Sun 14-Jun-09 11:00:01

I think they're great names.
Woodrow would get calld Woody I expect, but I think that's cute.

WorzselMummage Sun 14-Jun-09 11:07:20

I like Stanley.

Woodrow sound like a fencing company.

suwoo Sun 14-Jun-09 13:22:48

I don't see why people are getting so bothered by these names.

Ok, Woodrow is a bit American and does sound like a company name. There is nothing at all wrong with Stanley. At least it is a proper name.

IMO there is no difference between Stanley and the very common popular Alfie, which is something like no5 in the name charts.

squatchette Sun 14-Jun-09 13:40:02

I like Stanley it's my uncles name although he goes by Fet for some reason I have never fathomed.Never heard of Woodrow and not too keen tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now