Talk

Advanced search

Dutch/Freisian name - Yttje - does anyone know the English equivalent?

(13 Posts)
radstar Wed 10-Jun-09 22:24:22

Hi, does anyone know the meaning of this Dutch/Freisian name or know of an English equivalent to it?

Tinker Wed 10-Jun-09 22:25:18

How is it pronounced??

radstar Wed 10-Jun-09 22:27:26

It's pronounced Eat ya as far as I know. I think there may be alternative spellings, cant remember them at the moment though, possibly yttse

skihorse Fri 12-Jun-09 22:05:03

Yvette? Of course we don't really have that "tje" (cha) in English.

kalo12 Fri 12-Jun-09 22:07:19

hetty?

CarGirl Fri 12-Jun-09 22:09:23

the "je" literally means little, so nintje means "little bunny" there are lots of Dutch names that don't have english equivalents.

Something like Evie perhaps?

hester Fri 12-Jun-09 22:09:43

Etta? Ettie? Hester grin ?

kalo12 Fri 12-Jun-09 22:10:54

nanette

PootleTheFlump Fri 12-Jun-09 22:27:46

I immediately thought of Etta, (it was the name of one of the friends of an Apprentice candidate that they interviewed and I thought it was a really nice name at the time, unusual but not wierd! Not sure of meaning though.

hester Fri 12-Jun-09 22:44:48

I think Etta is a very pretty name.

radstar Sat 13-Jun-09 09:30:37

thanks - didn't know about the je meaning little that is useful. We haven't anyone to ask but the name is important for family reasons, may just stick with original. xx

ps I LOVE Evie but Dp hates it, got a while to worry about it though we ended up with a ds! but I thought I would ask seeing as lots of people go on here

CarGirl Sat 13-Jun-09 11:52:40

I'll ask DutchOma for you , think I have her email addy. I know an elderly Etta, her proper name is Henrietta!

DutchOma Sat 13-Jun-09 13:13:58

I was quite perplexed by Cargirl's e.mail. Friesian names are quite an entity on their own and I have never heard the name Yttje, let alone being able to suggest an English alternative, so sorry.
I had a friend who was called Ietje, but I can't remember what her full name was. Dutch people do that:- they give their children beautiful long names and then call them something totally different: my niece has twins called Rozemarijn Francien and Helena Hendrika and they are called Renske and Lonneke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now