Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of the name Mischa?

(36 Posts)
SassyBo Tue 09-Jun-09 16:10:32

Can't decide if i like it or not?!!! hmm Maybe mimi as a nickname? Already have a Saskia if thats of any importance!!!

Pinkjenny Tue 09-Jun-09 16:14:45

I really like it, but I find it a little masculine.

boodleboot Tue 09-Jun-09 16:16:59

i love it. also love Minka which would go very nicely with Saskia...

OlympedeGouges Tue 09-Jun-09 16:20:18

it is a boy's name though, like Sasha. Saskia lovely though.

SassyBo Tue 09-Jun-09 16:59:35

shock Oh didn't know it was a boys name! Its not listed in either of the baby name books i have! Was just thinking about it after i saw Mischa Barton in a magazine. Probably helps as she is very pretty!!

OlympedeGouges Tue 09-Jun-09 17:02:08

Well Mischa and Sascha are Russian/Balkan boys names [short for Michael and Alexander respectively] but the good ol' USA has turned them into girl's names. grin

VeryAnnieMary Tue 09-Jun-09 17:57:43

I work with a Marika which is quite nice. Used to workwitha Polish lady with a daughter called Catherine who she called Kasha, which I thought was pretty.

LaDiDaDi Tue 09-Jun-09 18:07:35

I like it.

daisy5 Wed 10-Jun-09 05:25:25

My female cousin is named Mescha. I love the name. I love Saskia too so think you have great taste.

nooka Wed 10-Jun-09 06:05:00

Do you have any Slavic connections? Otherwise it seems a bit odd to choose two Russian names. They are also really quite similar.

I'm afraid my first reaction was that it would be a nice name for a cat (actually one of our cats is called Sasha, but she came already named).

dd had a friend called Miriam whose nickname was Mimi (sweet for a little girl only, I think)

mopsyflopsy Wed 10-Jun-09 08:23:48

Mischa is a boys' name in my opinion. I know a little German one - short for Michael (pronounced Meesch-ael) in German.

Sasha is short for Alexander. Definately a boys name too.

belgo Wed 10-Jun-09 08:34:56

I know a female Mishca. It's ok. Prefer Michelle.

SassyBo Wed 10-Jun-09 10:21:05

Nooka---No,no salavic connections, but seens as Saskia is dutch that doesn't matter!
Thanks for everyones opinions, am a bit worried about the boy thing, maybe back to the drawing board i think. Choosing a name is stress!!!

BonsoirAnna Wed 10-Jun-09 10:21:53

I went out with a (male) Mischa for three years. So I would not name my child that - and particularly not a girl!

lockets Wed 10-Jun-09 13:52:28

Message withdrawn

MrsMerryHenry Wed 10-Jun-09 13:56:02

VeryAnnieMary, "Kasia" is the correct spelling for 'Kasha' (which, in Polish, is the spelling of a grain a bit like buckwheat - random fact!).

I see there's a Russian thing going on in this thread...

I knew a Marischa (Dutch girl) who shortened her name to Mish. Not sure whether the name was dutch.

MrsMerryHenry Wed 10-Jun-09 13:56:26

VeryAnnieMary, "Kasia" is the correct spelling for 'Kasha' (which, in Polish, is the spelling of a grain a bit like buckwheat - random fact!).

I see there's a Russian thing going on in this thread...

I knew a Marischa (Dutch-origin schoolfriend) who shortened her name to Mish. Not sure whether the name was Dutch. Very lovely girl, though!

ajandjjmum Wed 10-Jun-09 14:01:00

I know a French female Misia.

poppysweetie Wed 10-Jun-09 18:55:42

I know a female Mischa, I like it, and I think it goes well with Saskia

DaisymooSteiner Wed 10-Jun-09 19:05:47

I know a little girl called Mica (pronounced Mischa) and I think it's really pretty.

BarackObamasBigEars Wed 10-Jun-09 21:09:14

That's like Mica Paris, Daisymoo.

Dysgu Wed 10-Jun-09 21:16:40

I have taught 2 children names Mica (pronounced Meesha). One was actually Michaela but went by Mica at all times. Both children now teenagers. It was on our list.

Have taught two called Sasha/Sacha this year. Sasha is a girl. Sacha is the boy. No one in the school seems to have a problem with this.

Have also had 2 Caseys in my class - one boy and one girl. Again, no one had any problem with this. I think the name becomes the child rather than the other way round.

Love Saskia - was at school with one and did an exchange to Germany with one. (in late 1980s)

SassyBo Wed 10-Jun-09 21:34:29

Thanks for all your comments guys! 7 weeks to make up my mind, i seem to change daily as to what is my favorite name!!

sophiesmummie Wed 10-Jun-09 21:39:05

You could name her Michaela and use Micha as a nickname.

nooka Thu 11-Jun-09 07:05:20

Ha ha, serves me right for pontificating really grin I expect I was thinking more of Sasha. Although Beyond the Name sites it as German as well. Has no (f) Mischa btw, just Misha as a diminutive of Mikhail.

I do have Russian relatives with lovely names, I just wouldn't expect to use them personally (I like my names to have English provenance, as sadly I have no interesting genes!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now