Talk

Advanced search

How bad would it be if a name was related to a previous animal ...

(20 Posts)
Stannie Fri 05-Jun-09 18:24:53

blush

DP & I really like a certain name unfortunately the name is the same as that of one of my previous horses (who has been dead for 11yrs) but we like it "just because" ..

Hadn't actually thought of it as a name for the baby (boy name) until kind of reminded of the name by a TV series.

I'm not bothered by the name having belonged to a horse (there is always going to be somebody who had a dog/cat/lizard/budgie who has the same name but DP is bit wobbly about it - he's concerned that people will think we named the lo after the horse!

Unfortunately it's the only boys name that is really in the running! We love it (bar the horse thing)

How bad would it be to name child same as previous animal ??

YanknCock Fri 05-Jun-09 18:31:33

Don't think it matters. My last dog (now living with friends in the U.S.) is called Jack and our hamster is called George, and we've considered both names for our son due in August!

Stannie Fri 05-Jun-09 18:37:12

YanknCock I'm glad you said that! I was starting to feel a bit of OH's paranoia..

I lost my favourite old boy (horse!) last summer and he was a George but somehow I can't use that name even though I love that name.. but I think it's been a long ol' time lapse so..

I'm encouraged that you are using animals that are still living!

I'm a bit "don't care" about what other people think but OH is coming out with stuff like "what if we give it that name and it's school friends find out" ..

TrillianAstra Fri 05-Jun-09 18:44:00

Will people even know if the horse died 11 years ago?

This is why you should give animals non-human names like Tufty. grin

Pingpong Fri 05-Jun-09 18:52:04

this was discussed just a few weeks back here
If you like the name use it!

barnsleybelle Fri 05-Jun-09 19:04:52

Doesn't matter... if you like the name just use it.

Tambajam Fri 05-Jun-09 19:06:58

Our son has same name as a previous family dog. Hasn't been a problem.

Stannie Fri 05-Jun-09 19:10:59

Tufty!! lol I would name my horses non-human names but they came with them and it's bad luck to change ... current big horse is called Stanley! I got the small one un-named and he is Trigger (he looks like a tiny version of Roy Rogers Horse!)

Smac - thanks for the link - I'll give it a read now

barnsleybelle/tambajam - thanks I'm of the don't-care opinion but I think OH needs convincing it won't be an issue.. wink

Madmentalbint Fri 05-Jun-09 19:11:16

Doesn't matter at all. My sis had almost the same name as the family dog at the same time! grin

YanknCock Fri 05-Jun-09 19:29:45

I had a friend that was named after her parents' favourite cow (Molly if you're wondering).

zanz1bar Fri 05-Jun-09 19:42:57

Ds named after my favorite dog
Loved that dog.

I do know someone who named her Ds after her horse.
She loved that horse.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Fri 05-Jun-09 19:48:45

Steve Irwin named his daughter Bindi after his favourite crocodile (or dog can't remember).

Bonnycat Sat 06-Jun-09 09:05:39

My son has the same name as a dog i had about 20 years ago.
Only one of my mums friends remembered the dog and commented.
My son has certainly made the name his own now!

helpivegottogivebirth Sat 06-Jun-09 09:52:12

my girls name is the same as my childhood pony.

Thebunk Sat 06-Jun-09 09:58:50

Tell us the name

alicecrail Sat 06-Jun-09 10:05:01

I used to look after a horse called Archie and for ages that was my favourite boys name. My lovely horse is called Alice but i don't think i could ever use that for a child because that name belongs to her iyswim? Although, my DD is Daisy and i am always calling both horse and DD the wrong name blush

alicecrail Sat 06-Jun-09 10:05:04

I used to look after a horse called Archie and for ages that was my favourite boys name. My lovely horse is called Alice but i don't think i could ever use that for a child because that name belongs to her iyswim? Although, my DD is Daisy and i am always calling both horse and DD the wrong name blush

stubbyfingers Sat 06-Jun-09 10:13:16

My DS has the same name as the family cat (RIP). Not many people remember the cat, though some do and comment. I always liked the name, hence using it for the cat and struggled to find anything else when DS was born. If you love the name, just do it!

SingingBear Sat 06-Jun-09 10:13:53

Message withdrawn

Stannie Sat 06-Jun-09 14:07:29

It's looking positive people! Thanks for the comments.. I have been reading the comments out to OH (who is trying to watch the rugby!) and he is starting to --see sense-- come round..

Thebunk..it's not everyone's cup of tea and I'm a bit nervous of getting a "whaaaat" if I post it so I'm keeping it to myself for now blush .. it's not anything like Nobby though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now