Talk

Advanced search

Boys "shortlist"; seems to keep getting longer...aargh!

(30 Posts)
magbags Fri 05-Jun-09 17:40:54

Blue bump due soon and my list seems to be getting longer instead of shorter. Grrrrr. Hormonal and indecisive, need some help (again)please...

Which do you think is best out of these? Other suggestions much appreciated too... although that might result in list getting even longer again blush. Think I am hoping for a flash of inspration where I feel sure I have the right name, haven't had that yet.

Oscar
Felix
Louie
Alex
Jack

cookielove Fri 05-Jun-09 17:43:04

alex and jack are very popular, i know a lovely felix, a real charmer and he's only 7, love louie so so cute and is nice for all ages, not sure about oscar, prefer it spelt oskar, but still not sure smile

janeite Fri 05-Jun-09 17:44:15

Oscar _ I love it.

MaggieBee Fri 05-Jun-09 17:47:04

Oscar - Quite like it. Kind of trendy in a follow the trends but not setting them way. I like Victor and Hector more, they are 'the new Oscar'.

Felix - was very cool 15 yrs ago, now mainstream and will probably sound very dated when he's an adult. However, I do really LOVE it! I also love the meaning. It is a good strong name.

Louie - ok, nice name, but spell it Louis. Louie is that mouse. Julien and Arnaud also good French names that have the same vibe.

Alex - Ok, very classic. Bit dull. WHat about Marcus, Richie, Julius or Dominic? They are livelier, quirkier classics.

Jack - No. The World does not need another Jack. It is getting ridiculous. What about Saul or Greg?

Castiel Fri 05-Jun-09 17:49:33

They're all okay. Good sound names. Nothing springs out though. Nothing truly beautiful imho.

Jack is driving me loopy. All babies are Jack it seems.

Louie should be Louis.

Oscar fairly popular here too.

GossipMonger Fri 05-Jun-09 17:52:17

But we have a few Louis at school pronounced Lewis!

so I think Louie is better!

Felix is lovely. Love Finn and Finlay too.

Oscar not keen as the name of Dad's dog!

Jack/Alex - overly popular.

Max
George
Archie
Jay

pointydog Fri 05-Jun-09 17:58:35

I like alex

othersideofchannel Fri 05-Jun-09 19:18:10

From your list I only really like Louie - the others are ok, but a little 'bland' and quite common.

How about these:

Elliot
Quentin
Benedict

But its your baby and your choice - thank god we all have different tastes!

magbags Fri 05-Jun-09 20:02:21

Some good suggestions here, quite like Elliot. Am strangely reassured by the fact that Felix might be bland!!

suwoo Fri 05-Jun-09 20:08:20

Our DC3 is due in 8 weeks and he will be a Felix. I know of no others in RL.

magbags Fri 05-Jun-09 20:25:16

I know of no others either Suwoo. It's our favourite on the list at the moment (dh's favourite by far). Maybe it just hasn't reached our neck of the woods yet. In that sense in our little world I don't think it would be considered bland. If anything I was a bit worried about it being too unnusual / out there! Were you concerned about the cat connection at all when deciding on Felix?

helsbels4 Fri 05-Jun-09 20:29:50

I like Oscar the best from your list. I know an Oscar and he's such an adorable little imp!

I also like....

Milo

Xander

Finn or Finley

How about Jacob instead of Jack? Could be shortened to Jake if you fancied?

changer22 Fri 05-Jun-09 20:32:30

I like Louie but spelt Louis.

cookielove Fri 05-Jun-09 20:34:15

i like louie spelt like louie

magbags Fri 05-Jun-09 20:38:22

I would hate to give ds a name with what looked like a made up / incorrect spelling blush BUT I would without doubt pronounce Louis as "Lewis". Louie to me removes any doubt about how to pronounce the name the way I want it pronounced iyswim.

suwoo Fri 05-Jun-09 21:10:28

Yes magbags, I was worried about the cat connotations (still am TBH). I haven't told many people in RL as the few I had told were a bithmm. I am in Manchester, so not exactly a backwater, but I still think its a bit 'out there' for some.

magbags Fri 05-Jun-09 21:33:39

The few people I have discussed Felix with have either said they love it or have looked confused. I am worried they are thinking "as in the cat food" hmm.

suwoo Fri 05-Jun-09 21:46:04

Most of them, including my best friend, said "what, like the cat food?"

The meaning is happy or fate and this one was an extremely unplanned twist of fate, so it has extra meaning for me us.

jellybeans Sat 06-Jun-09 08:44:55

Oscar...nice
Felix...OK
Louie... not that keen
Alex...not keen on unisex, dislike 'Al' too
Jack...nice but very very popular

I would choose Oscar.

Also, how about Zack, Ben, Matthew or Sam.

MrsMattie Sat 06-Jun-09 10:20:10

Louie is sweet.

Alex is nice.

Really dislike Felix and Oscar (cat and dog).

Jack is nice but he would be one of many.

sonniebonnie Sat 06-Jun-09 10:27:42

Really like Louie - sweet for a boy and cool for a teenager/adult.

Jack and Alex are too common/boring imo - there are just SO many around...

Oscar is becoming very 'trendy' and reminds me of the 'grouch' from sesame street....

Felix is ok, but will always have the cat association. Also find the x quite harsh sounding.

I'd choose Louie from your list!

magbags Sat 06-Jun-09 11:12:21

Can anyone give some names which they think have a similar feel to Felix? (Not including cat names please!) This will help me get my head round how it is perceived a bit more I think and might give us some more ideas too. grin Thanks for help so far.

janeite Sat 06-Jun-09 11:19:13

Names with a similar 'feel' to Felix? I don't like Felix but I do like Rupert, Barnaby and Max, which I think have a similar 'theme' iyswim.

Oscar The Grouch is great - don't let that put you off!

Chunkamatic Sat 06-Jun-09 11:53:08

I think Lucas and Kit have a Felix-type vibe but are maybe a bit more up to date... also Max, but that's quite popular.

helsbels4 Sun 07-Jun-09 12:52:56

How about Theo? I heard that the other day and quite liked it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now