(25 Posts)
canigotobedyet Wed 03-Jun-09 10:06:34

any opinions?
Torsten?
Jan?
Roald?
Claus?
Karl?

dd's name is already picked (a danish family name), but twin bro needs a name... wondering if these are too extreme for the school playground in SE England?

macana Wed 03-Jun-09 10:14:33

Ok, if you ask me, Claus is just asking for trouble (Santa..)
Jan, for everyone not Danish, is a girl's name.

Lars is ok IMO, my favourite is Torsten, but it's your choice of course

I love Jan for a boy. I know a man called Jan. God, I'm going to break out in song in a minute......it's pronounced Yan so doesn't sounds like a girl's name. I also like Lars, but not the others.

TsarChasm Wed 03-Jun-09 10:20:16

I don't dislike it/ don't love it. Could be persuaded maybe. Sorry, that's not much help!grin

I do think names definately become owned and are grown into. Especially if it's uncommon. So you think of that peson rather than just the name - and then of course, you love it smile

I rather like Jan - would that be pronounced 'Yan'? Like that.

Yes to Karl as well. Looks nice spelled with a K.

macana Wed 03-Jun-09 10:20:32

Problem with Jan is that even though we know you pronounce "Yan", no child is going to know or remember that, the boy will have to spend his school life telling people they're saying his same incorrectly....

canigotobedyet Wed 03-Jun-09 10:22:58

dd name already has a soft "j" in it, and I'm assuming they're going to the same schools, so Jan might be unproblematic (particularly in comparison to dd's name!). But thanks for the opinions - good to know.

TsarChasm Wed 03-Jun-09 10:23:16

It still sounds good as Jan though imo. You rarely hear it as a girls name these days anyway (although it's my mumssmile) I like it for a boy too.

NoTart Wed 03-Jun-09 10:25:14

Lars rhymes with arse, wouldn´t go there..

Scandinavian names I like..

Sven
Anders

Good luck!

shoobidoo Wed 03-Jun-09 13:12:43

Lars is cute (although reminds me of Lars Eisbear...).

EachPeachPearMum Wed 03-Jun-09 13:16:06

I have a very good friend named Lars, so I think it's great!
I also know a little Torsten.
What about Linus, Karsten or Magnus?

sockmonster Wed 03-Jun-09 14:37:29

Lars is a lovely name, I know a little boy named Lars Edward and the way the pronounce it (Norweigan roots) it does not rhyme with arse! more like laarz or laarsh depending on who says it.

Go with Lars it's great. Avoid Claus, please.

Bathsheba Wed 03-Jun-09 15:14:04

I LOVE Scandanavian names but I'm not allowed one (even though there is a high probability this baby will be born in Norway)

I love Karsten, Soren, Jesper, Hakan

barnsleybelle Wed 03-Jun-09 15:26:33

I love Lars (reminds of "the little polar bear").
Not too keen on any of the others but Lars is lovely.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 03-Jun-09 15:28:44

Ooohhhh, lovely name.

womma Wed 03-Jun-09 21:50:16

Lars is nice, also like Jesper and Karsten

janeite Wed 03-Jun-09 21:52:15

Somebody posted Lars on here before and all I can think of is Lord McCauley's 'Horatio' - 'Lars Porsena of Clusium by the nine gods he swore....' etc...

I love Jan.

thisisyesterday Wed 03-Jun-09 21:54:45

Lars is a fabulous name! ds2 was very, very nearly Lars./
and it doesn't rhyme with arse at all!

we also have a Linus, which rocks.
magnus is cool too

Lulubee Wed 03-Jun-09 21:57:08

I like Lars, and I love Torsten, it sounds great when you say it and Tor is such a goodshortening, esp when he is a teenager, he'll be the coolest kid in school...

lockets Wed 03-Jun-09 21:58:11

Message withdrawn

Paolosgirl Wed 03-Jun-09 22:02:23

I love Lars and I love Olaf - Olaf wins here. We (as a family) have an imaginary friend called Lars Olaf who lives in Norway (long story, goes back to the time when DD let go of DS's kite on St Andrews beach), and love love love them both.

It's an endless source of minor irritation to me that dh is not Scandinavian angry grin

jeanjeannie Wed 03-Jun-09 22:04:40

Love Lars - a real fave of mine.
Also like Anders and Soren too.

TwoIfBySea Wed 03-Jun-09 22:09:31

So I'm not the only one to see that name and think of the cute and cuddly polar bear!

I have Danish friends, once went out with a Dane but he was called Thomas so not exactly reminiscent of Viking heritage - his brother is called Soren though! My friend's brother is called Morten.

Torsten is also nicer than the alternate spelling, Thorsten. What about Torvald?

MaggieBee Wed 03-Jun-09 22:13:54

I like it. I ahven't a drop of danish blood in me, btu I do like it.

womma Thu 04-Jun-09 10:49:48

My nephew is called Tor and he has temper tantrums that a god of thunder would be proud of!!

canigotobedyet Fri 05-Jun-09 14:32:40

thanks chaps. Glad people like lars, I do too. And have discovered the perfect solution. See my more recent post... ;-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now