Talk

Advanced search

Louis?

(20 Posts)
Swiddle Tue 02-Jun-09 14:14:10

I think there is finally a boy's name that DH and I both don't hate: Louis.
That would be pronounced Loo-ee.
Do you think I would be condemning DS to a childhood of "pooey Louis"?
Any other unforeseen negatives...?

belgo Tue 02-Jun-09 14:16:00

Nice name.

Poshpaws Tue 02-Jun-09 14:22:37

I have a Louis. Have had no references to Pooey Louis, but a lot of mis-pronunciation. Usually is pronounced 'Lewis' or you get asked 'Is it Lou-ee or Lewis?'

Apart from that, it is my favourite boys name as well (well, one of 3, being as I have 3 DSs smile)

hobnob Tue 02-Jun-09 14:24:08

Best name ever. Go for it.

OrmIrian Tue 02-Jun-09 14:25:42

Yes.

sockmonster Tue 02-Jun-09 15:58:52

I know someone with DS Louis- pronounced Lewis- which I think is just so wrong it makes me angry! grin

so you will get a lot of people mispronouncing it. But in light of Louis Walsh/Armstrong et al perhaps you will be lucky!

I like it. I think pooey louis will stop after the age of 6, if it happens at all.

pagwatch Tue 02-Jun-09 16:02:44

Mine is a Louis and he is gorgeous and lovely. he is 15 now and it remains my fav name ( sorry DS2).
He never had pooey louis nonsense FWIW but has had dimwits people think it is spelt Louie. And even bigger dimwits people thinking you pronounce it lewis.

Poshpaws Tue 02-Jun-09 16:07:20

Can't understand why it would be pronounced Lewis but written Louis. Just call the boy Lewis smile.
Mine, however, is def and always will be a 'Lou-ee', although friends have written 'Luis' in cards and I know someone who spells their child's name 'Loui'hmm.

hulabula Tue 02-Jun-09 17:37:14

It may not matter to you, but in German (and probably Dutch and Scandinavian languages) Louis is pronounced Loo-is.

spiderlight Tue 02-Jun-09 22:26:01

Love it. My OH is called Louis and I've never heard anyone call him Pooey Louis. It tends to be misspelled as Louie quite a bit, though (and 'Louie' on Cbeebies probably won't help!)

Phoenix Tue 02-Jun-09 22:31:37

My ds is Lewis (loo-is) and more people ask if it is spelt L-e-w-i-s or L-o-u-i-s angry.

Ds gets called Lewie or Lew by us.

I like Louis

Ronaldinhio Tue 02-Jun-09 22:32:58

me likey

only loo-ee though

pointydog Tue 02-Jun-09 22:37:07

good name.

I suppose you could get loo/poo jokes

shoobidoo Wed 03-Jun-09 09:57:43

Lovely name, but people do seem to get confused with the spelling. In my opinion
the most intuitive English spellings are:

Lewis = Loo-is

Louie = Loo-ie

3isthemagicnumber Wed 03-Jun-09 10:07:28

DS2 is a Louis and he often gets called Lewis if people are reading it-doctors etc-grrr.

However only people that call him pooey louis are, um, us occasionally (blush)

He does get called Lou a lot which i don't like very much (bald man from neighbours emotion) but i do it too so can't really complain.....
He does also get Lou Lou, Luigi, Loos, and (blush) Looby Lou...all by us! ..he is only 5 though so will promise to stop ruining his life soon........

Phoenix Wed 03-Jun-09 11:08:13

Haha 3isthemagicnumber, ds gets most of those nicknames from us

magbags Sun 07-Jun-09 15:21:16

We are considering this name too but would spell it Louie (Loo-ee) to avoid all the issues with incorrect pronunciation. I would find the constant need to correct people irritating and I think this spelling is more intuitive too Shoobs.

MrsMattie Sun 07-Jun-09 15:25:35

Grgeous. I liked it for DS, but really dislike the 'Loo-iss', pronounciation, so steered clear because knew I'd get pissed off with confusion.

TheCrackFox Sun 07-Jun-09 15:38:41

I have a Louis and so, of course, it is a fab name. grin

thirtysomething Sun 07-Jun-09 15:41:44

'tis a fab name - go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now